lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-19-2020, 05:14 PM   #1
dougs_huntingcart
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Driven clutch cam

Literally a piece of my cam just fell out of my cart while driving down the road... while I'm sure I'm not the first to have this happen....

My question is, is this just something that can simply happen with the age of my 04 ds( 2200 + hrs)or a symptom of a bigger problem brewing that needs further investigating?

The cart will still drive but i assume it's probably not a good idea to go zipping around like i stole it. What's a good direction to go.... meaning I've got to replace this part, so maybe get the clutch machined? Tell the wife that the whole engine died and start shopping clone swaps 😆
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20201119_160648.jpg (310.6 KB, 0 views)
dougs_huntingcart is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-19-2020, 06:54 PM   #2
7harborcruiser
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Driven clutch cam

Maybe the spring also broke causing failure? I would send it out to be machined and rebuilt with the power spring. I am about to send mine out as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
7harborcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 09:18 PM   #3
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

With age yes. The buttons wear out in the clutch and can “skip” over the helix (club car calls that the helix) and either break the buttons or if it hits just right will snap the ramps off of the helix. Almost always the spring is broken as well.
As long as the sheaves are not grooved (not wavy) then it should be fine to rebuild.
New spring, new helix, and new buttons, should be good.
You can get all the parts yourself or send it to CartPartsPlus for machining and rebuild.

Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 10:41 PM   #4
dougs_huntingcart
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
With age yes. The buttons wear out in the clutch and can “skip” over the helix (club car calls that the helix) and either break the buttons or if it hits just right will snap the ramps off of the helix. Almost always the spring is broken as well.
As long as the sheaves are not grooved (not wavy) then it should be fine to rebuild.
You can get all the parts yourself or send it to CartPartsPlus for machining and rebuild.

Old 11-19-2020, 10:42 PM   #5
dougs_huntingcart
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7harborcruiser View Post
Maybe the spring also broke causing failure? I would send it out to be machined and rebuilt with the power spring. I am about to send mine out as well.

Old 11-20-2020, 01:35 PM   #6
mrlmd
Gone Wild

It may be cheaper just to buy and install a new clutch. I think a little over a year ago I got one for $129 shipped, and it was easy to install. You have to take that one off to get it fixed anyway, so just put on a new one. Who knows what else will break in yours.
mrlmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 02:05 PM   #7
dougs_huntingcart
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post

Thanks for the information. I've been researching the removal of this clutch. Is this an "engine out of the cart" kind of operation? It's obviously tight quarters inside the body. I've seen a few of these dramatic videos on youtube showing removal. I realize things can be difficult but heck these guys busted out the hammer and chisel.....

What's the best way to attack this removal of the clutch on a DS that has never had a clutch removed... if you were doing the work, how would you go about it?
Old 11-20-2020, 02:25 PM   #8
7harborcruiser
Not Yet Wild

Default Driven clutch cam

It is a VERY simple task. You you remove the one bolt directly in the center. The clutch should come right off as long as it’s not completely rusted on. No need to remove the engine or anything.

Now the drive clutch that is attached to the crankshaft of the engine is a whole Nother story. That requires a special puller and “can” go sideways from time to time.

7harborcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 07:15 PM   #9
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougs_huntingcart View Post
Thanks for the information. I've been researching the removal of this clutch. Is this an "engine out of the cart" kind of operation? It's obviously tight quarters inside the body. I've seen a few of these dramatic videos on youtube showing removal. I realize things can be difficult but heck these guys busted out the hammer and chisel.....

What's the best way to attack this removal of the clutch on a DS that has never had a clutch removed... if you were doing the work, how would you go about it?
Shouldnt have to remove anything to get either clutch out unless you have one that’s horribly rusted in place. (Not the majority of carts)

Remove the 1/2” bolt in the center and hopefully the clutch will slide off. May need some light persuasion, but usually they come off without too much fuss. If it’s stuck on then spray with penetrating oil and let it sit a day or so. Worst case you have to take a hammer to it, and then replace the whole clutch.

CPP can also get you a brand new clutch with the power spring installed if needed.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 07:51 PM   #10
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

A rubber mallet, or a hammer and a 2x4 can help with the persuasion as well. I’ve never had one that needed much persuasion beyond a few tappy taps.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car