lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-22-2020, 08:24 PM   #1
Jammy
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Default New to me J38 with issues..it begins now...

Where to begin? My first ever cart.

Picked up a non running cart at a good price and was told all about how " it used to run". Got it home and found dirty fuel, fuel filter, air filter, broken air box and cracked hoses to start with. Cleaned cleaned and cleaned those parts and wow it fired up,(I did squirt fuel in carb throat before hand so I knew it would run). Was not running well but it ran.

Thanks to reading threads here, I've been able to get service manual, identify my cart and do some old fashioned troubleshooting.

Got new air filter, seal and valve cover gasket.... Exhaust valve had 0.06 clearance and intake valve was still touching lifter. Once set I fired it up and it purred.

Now to fix the noise.... It is extremely loud, quieter with air box on, and sounds like a riding lawnmower coming down the road.... Hoping to pick up a new muffler from a member.

Next is motor mounts and MM tensioner.... Mounts are shot front of motor raises 3" as you accelerate because a) they are wore out and b) no tensioner. If anyone has decent motor mounts and a tensioner they want to part with, shoot me a PM.

The governor is screw is all the way in, I may bypass governor later.

Primary clutch is dry, found broken zerk fitting so I ordered a few. Secondary clutch is also dry and will be lubed. Belts are new so no problems there.

Oil level was not reading on dip stick so I added a bit, maybe too much. Oil change coming up for engine and rear differential.

I will tackle the rusty frame and give it some loving as soon as I get mechanical stuff done. Body has been sanded, looks like with 80 grit..... I will get some filler for gouges and nicks and maybe rattle can or find some color paint !to shoot on it.

More updates as they occur....
Jammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-22-2020, 08:30 PM   #2
Skoal82
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: New to me J38 with issues..it begins now...

I should have some motor mounts, free just pay shipping.
I also have a muffler if you haven’t found one yet.
Skoal82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 08:37 PM   #3
Jammy
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skoal82 View Post
I should have some motor mounts, free just pay shipping.
I also have a muffler if you haven’t found one yet.
I will take those motor mounts, thank you!!!!

I think #SLONOMO has a muffler he is packaging up for me, thanks.

I'll PM you.
Old 11-23-2020, 03:34 AM   #4
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Drain the oil, and put in "1 qt". Dont fill it to the top of the hatches. It wants 1 qt, no more. This will save you trouble in the future, trust me. (And I bet your oil cap says "1") . Yamaha engineers were tricky/smart. When it "gets full", that means it's time for an oil change. They were thinking about it as a vehicle to play the game of golf. That meant short trips from the tee box "one stroke, drive short distance, stop, one stroke, drive short distance, stop" for ever. The engine never got to run long, and unburned fuel would build up in the oil. When it got to the top mark, oil change was due. No yahama ever reads "full" with a fresh oil change (yamaha "tune up kits" come with 1 QT of oil) "LUB-GCCRB-MT-KT" for G16-22, has a new Air filter, pre-cleaner, fuel filter, spark plug, 1qt of oil, and a gasket for the drain plug. Dipstick will read about 1/2 way up the "hatches". Unfortunately, no "ready made" tune up kits exist from yamaha for older models (I sure wish they did).
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 08:54 AM   #5
Skoal82
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammy View Post
I will take those motor mounts, thank you!!!!

I think #SLONOMO has a muffler he is packaging up for me, thanks.

I'll PM you.
Sounds good
Skoal82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 02:00 PM   #6
Jammy
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
Drain the oil, and put in "1 qt". Dont fill it to the top of the hatches. It wants 1 qt, no more. This will save you trouble in the future, trust me. (And I bet your oil cap says "1") . Yamaha engineers were tricky/smart. When it "gets full", that means it's time for an oil change. They were thinking about it as a vehicle to play the game of golf. That meant short trips from the tee box "one stroke, drive short distance, stop, one stroke, drive short distance, stop" for ever. The engine never got to run long, and unburned fuel would build up in the oil. When it got to the top mark, oil change was due. No yahama ever reads "full" with a fresh oil change (yamaha "tune up kits" come with 1 QT of oil) "LUB-GCCRB-MT-KT" for G16-22, has a new Air filter, pre-cleaner, fuel filter, spark plug, 1qt of oil, and a gasket for the drain plug. Dipstick will read about 1/2 way up the "hatches". Unfortunately, no "ready made" tune up kits exist from yamaha for older models (I sure wish they did).
Thanks. Today's task is to change oil.
Cut holes for Headlights and tall lights.
Install wiring harness for lights.

I still need to find a oil fill cover. PO used an expandable rubber plug, which has no breather and over pressurizes the crankcase. Nasty mess if the cap does pop off, ask me how i know....
Old 11-23-2020, 07:05 PM   #7
Jammy
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammy View Post
Thanks. Today's task is .....
Cut holes for Headlights and tall lights.
Install wiring harnes
So got the head lights mounted and tested. Not sure if i want to do tail lights yet, still removing the rear body a lot....
Old 11-23-2020, 07:12 PM   #8
Jammy
Getting Wild
Yamaha

I tried attaching photos, with no luck.
Old 11-24-2020, 07:28 PM   #9
Jammy
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Todays tasks.....
Tighten starter/generator belt.... valve toming added compression and the belt was slipping.

Change oil.... or should i say fuel !!! Drained what looked and smelled like black gasoline from crankcase, refilled with 1 qt new oil.

Went for a motorcycle ride!!
Old 11-24-2020, 10:20 PM   #10
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

I got your muffler boxed up. Sending you a PM.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha