lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-24-2020, 09:05 AM   #1
ReginaGuy
Not Yet Wild

Default 1988 EZGO Gas

Recently came into possession of an 88 EZGO gas cart. It's a beater but i'm ok with that. It only had 95 psi so planning a rebuild. i'm ok with ugly as long as it's mechanically reliable.

My plan is to spend the winter tearing the engine apart and rebuilding it due to the low compression. i would like to cover all the bases when addressing the compression issue. am i correct in saying crank seals, gaskets(head and jug to crank), fuel pump seal and blow by are the contributing factors to low compression?

Currently working on clutch removal with the 3/4-16 bolt/oil filled hole method. longest bolt i could find locally was 1 1/2 so hopefully its long enough to build the pressure to pop it off.

any tips or tricks you guys want to share about the clutch removal or the rebuild in general are greatly appreciated.

JJ
ReginaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-24-2020, 09:28 AM   #2
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1988 EZGO Gas

No. Crankcase seals, and fuel pump seal have no affect on compression.

Having said that, crank seals should absolutely be changed during a rebuild. You should also take the pump apart, clean it, and check for ripped diaphragms. The crankcase needs to be airtight to run.

Check your crank bearings. They are cheap. If you split the case there may be thin shims on the crankshaft. Pay attention to the location, and don't lose them.

Check rod to piston bearing play. They are still available.

Check rod to crankshaft bearing play. Up, and down is bad. Side to side is ok. Decide if you can live with it because the crankshaft/ rod assembly is no longer available.

Going back together.
If you split the case, put some sealer on the joint. There is no gasket.

Make sure the piston side port faces the intake.

Make sure the rings go in bevel side up, and the ends wrap around the alignment pins. Don't forget to check ring end gap before installation.

Modifications
The head has a raised lip. I milled mine down until it was almost gone. My imagination tells me that doing so slightly raised the compression ratio. I don't know if it really did, but mine runs strong.

Removing the clutch.
Use an impact.
https://buggiesgonewild.com/showthre...=105501&page=3
You will find the 88 manual here.

Things I forgot.
95 isn't so bad, but getting there. New is only 120psi. 100 is acceptable.

A clogged muffler will contribute to low compression. Loosen the pipe, and try again. Wide open throttle while testing.

After a rebuild the proper fuel mix is 40:1 for the first tank. 128:1 after that.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 09:34 AM   #3
ReginaGuy
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the valuable info.

Can i ask are there pics anywhere that show me that the 2pg looks like split apart?

jj
Old 11-24-2020, 09:35 AM   #4
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

I don't know of any, but the manual has good drawings.
Old 11-24-2020, 09:38 AM   #5
ReginaGuy
Not Yet Wild

ok thanks.

will worry about that once i get this clutch off.....
Old 11-25-2020, 01:13 AM   #6
Dabble Inn
Nincompoop Club Member

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginaGuy View Post
Thanks for the valuable info.

Can i ask are there pics anywhere that show me that the 2pg looks like split apart?

jj
Here's a few of mine, it's really a simple engine to rebuild. Check out the link below for more info and pics throughout the rebuild.....

https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=130026
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9.jpg (225.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 11.jpg (200.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 12.jpg (211.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 14.jpg (228.9 KB, 0 views)
Dabble Inn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 07:59 AM   #7
ReginaGuy
Not Yet Wild

Thank you very much very helpful..... now if i can just get this **** clutch off....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabble Inn View Post
Here's a few of mine, it's really a simple engine to rebuild. Check out the link below for more info and pics throughout the rebuild.....

https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=130026
Old 11-25-2020, 08:42 AM   #8
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

If the oil doesn't work, try a short brass rod that is larger in diameter than the hole in the end of the crankshaft.

An impact really is the way to go, but if you can't get one, tighten the crap out of it, and smack the bolt to shock it.
Old 11-25-2020, 08:55 AM   #9
ReginaGuy
Not Yet Wild

the oil trick did not work, well i tried water to make clean up easier. either this clutch is cracked or there is an intentional hole in the clutch. filled it and plugged the hole with the bolt and crank on it and fuid comes out between the sheaves....

not sure what to think. i think if i used oil the same thing would happen.

thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cart around View Post
If the oil doesn't work, try a short brass rod that is larger in diameter than the hole in the end of the crankshaft.

An impact really is the way to go, but if you can't get one, tighten the crap out of it, and smack the bolt to shock it.
Old 11-25-2020, 11:09 AM   #10
Dabble Inn
Nincompoop Club Member

E-Z-GO

I'd say quit messing around with the awkward methods and get a real clutch puller or a brass rod like CA suggested, either way you'd have the clutch off by now and moving on to the more exciting parts
Dabble Inn is online now   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO