lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-29-2009, 08:24 AM   #1
evorob
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default 89 Flathead died....

I have an 89 CC with the flathead still in it... was on the course yesterday going down a hill and it just lost all power and would not restart... cart will turn over & is getting fuel... but feels as if there is no compression..?? pedal feels as is if motor is just free spinning... If that makes sense to anyone...

Any info would help as its pretty cold out and I have enclosure with heater and play 4+ times a week..
Thanks!!
evorob is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-29-2009, 10:22 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 89 Flathead died....

Check the basics. Pull the fuel line at the carb and crank it = any fuel? Okay. Install a spark tester w/ bulb ($5 from Harbor Freight) and crank it = any spark? Okay. Remove plug and read it's color. White gray brown or black? Uhuh... Install compression tester and post the results here...... these are the 3 components needed to run fuel spark and compression.... you lost one of them? If this is all greek to you, then I suggest you take it to a qualified shop
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 10:30 AM   #3
evorob
Gone Wild

Club Car

not greek at all....
cart is getting fuel.... & spark...
I have yet to test for compression but as I said it just felt funny in the pedal while trying to start... like it was "free spinning"
I just have a hard time believing that it would just stop running if it was catastophic damage... thought someone might know a simple fix off the top of their head...

Maybe its Big Block time
Old 11-29-2009, 10:34 AM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by evorob View Post
not greek at all....
cart is getting fuel.... & spark...
I have yet to test for compression but as I said it just felt funny in the pedal while trying to start... like it was "free spinning"
I just have a hard time believing that it would just stop running if it was catastophic damage... thought someone might know a simple fix off the top of their head...

Maybe its Big Block time
That flathead engine was fairly bulletproof..... you may have broken a ring? & lost compression. It you are inclined you can pull the plug and hold a finger over the hole just to see if she is making compression..... but a tester is best. I dunno maybe someone else will
Old 11-29-2009, 10:42 AM   #5
evorob
Gone Wild

Club Car

If a broken ring.... this flathead motor (after inspection of both engine & diagrams on this site) looks to be similar to a 2stroke engine top end rebuild... I used to be able to rebuild my cr250's in about 2-4 hrs (depending on beer) & have read that milling the head about 20-30 under while doing so is also cheap & easy to do...

Am I even close or is the job more involved than it looks...?
Old 11-29-2009, 10:56 AM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

You are right the head comes off. Over bore ring and piston sets are avail. I shaved .050 off of the head and the result was a stronger pulling engine. I used a .050 piston also. the resulting compression was improved without being so high as to be hard for the little starter to turn well
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2670.jpg (107.4 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2674.jpg (115.1 KB, 13 views)
Old 11-29-2009, 11:04 AM   #7
evorob
Gone Wild

Club Car

Although we all want more power & speed... My cart is used on the course only... so I am mainly looking for reliability over all else.. I am guessing that any competant machine shop should be able to bore the head & cylinder? I peeked at ebay... but where can i find the over sized kits? I didnt find them on CPP..?

Thanks for all your help BTW
Old 11-29-2009, 12:18 PM   #8
ckiguy
Bad *** Speller!

Club Car

give scotty or mike a hollar they g\can lead you in the right way. i dont have scottys number, but i know that if you pm him(private message) he will help out as much as he can. no tto be rude, but listen to theses guys, they have been doing this for a while, dinosaurs asked them for help! so if they make a suggestion, at least try it so when they say to check it they can know where to go!
ckiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 12:24 PM   #9
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Just pop the valves out and lap them back in to freshen up the seats and you should be good to go..... post the results of that compression check 1st Remmber to crank it at Wide Open Throttle for the test.... repeat a few times to verify the results.....
Old 11-29-2009, 12:31 PM   #10
Radicalgolfcarts
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Not trying to be that guy!!! But if you want I have the oversized pistons and rings @ the shop. Call me if you want 989-992-7601 I will hook u up on a good BGW price!!!
Radicalgolfcarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car