lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-16-2012, 10:01 AM   #11
Dela
EZ come EZ go

Club Car

Default Re: 72V TXT or bust....

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportcoupe View Post
Uh ya. Why replace it if it ain't broke? Anpother reason is budget. Have you priced 72v motors? This cart is probably the cheapest 72v conversion on this forum due to my battery connection.

The cart will run with the stock motor for a while if I keep an eye on motor temps. There are a couple members that have had 72v on stock motor for a long time.
Just joshin ya

The set up is VERY sweet looking, I just know I couldn't look 72 volts in the face and not want an upgraded motor..

I foresee one in your immediate future
Dela is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-16-2012, 11:50 AM   #12
sportcoupe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Sorry about the spelling. The batteries are Enersys , not EnerGsys

SBS30 data sheet here:
http://datasheet.octopart.com/SBS-30...et-8702913.pdf

As these batteries list for over $200 each and I'm running 24 they are NOT cost effective. No way I would pay that much for them. As I do have a connection these are highly usable batteries now.

The SBS30's are only 30ah but I built a 180ah pack of them in a 36v club car and got 24 mile range to 50% dod. I'd say that is very competitive with trojan 220ah batteries.

Based on the 36v club car testing my 72v cart will only have a 120ah pack. I should see similar range or slightly less.
sportcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 12:02 PM   #13
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

From what I can find the Enersys SBS 30 is a sealed 12V Lead-acid battery with 26AH @ 10Hr rate.
I didn't look all that hard, but found no mention if this is a deep cycle battery or not.
I did find prices from about $150 to $250 for each battery. Which would be from about $3,600 to $6,000 for 24 batteries.
However, sportcoupe mentioned he had a "battery connection".

A pack consisting of a series of 6 banks of 4 batteries connected in parallel (24 batteries total) would be a 72V - 206AH battery pack.
The batteries weigh 20.9 pounds each, so the pack weighs a whisper over a quarter ton, or about 130 pounds more that a 36V pack made with T-105's.

Looks like your set up is capable of delivering 28.8kW to the motor, so it might be a good idea to monitor the motor temperature.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 12:40 PM   #14
pcarenthuz
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I missed the fact Sportcoupe has a battery connection. Sorry about that Sportcoupe! Good job finding those at that price point. Hopefully they aren't government "surplus" otherwise you owe each of us a rebate

Good luck; your power pack looks clean.

Pat Arnold
pcarenthuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 01:17 PM   #15
sportcoupe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

No my batteries are paid for by private companies and myself, not the government. They are take-outs of corporate jet aircraft. There's no maintenance on a sealed battery so they replace them at predetermined intervals. I merely buy them from my company's recycle program.

Johnnie,
I don't understand how you got my pack at 206ah. I'm pretty sure they are 30ah each so if I parallel 4 that's a 120ah pack. When I series these 120ah packs that stay 120ah, just at a higher voltage. You noticed the weight increase. If lead = range then I should be real good with this one. LOL.

I know motor temp is going to be important so i bought a cheap temp gauge with probe. I used metal tape to attach the temp probe to the motor as seen in the pic below. You'll also see a disc brake upgrade, got to be able to stop this one!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 08.jpg (504.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 09.jpg (537.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 10.jpg (446.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 12-16-2012, 03:21 PM   #16
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Johnnie,
I don't understand how you got my pack at 206ah. I'm pretty sure they are 30ah each so if I parallel 4 that's a 120ah pack.
I fumble-fingered the keyboard. It should have been 106AH (26AH x 4 in parallel).

The spec-sheets rate them 26AH at the 10 hour rate, so they might be 30AH at the 20 Hr rate GC batteries are typically rated at.

---------
On the Motor Temperature.
Remember there is going to be a delay in the case heating up.
The windings get hot before the case does and will be several degrees hotter.

Your motor should have an insulation class on it. That will give you max winding temp.
Old 12-16-2012, 05:02 PM   #17
sportcoupe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Motor rating AU2500

I'll assume the "A" is the insulation class. "A" is the lowest insulation class at 105°C so that's 221°F. I know by the time my case is 200°F the windings inside are hotter then that. The temp gauge will just give me an idea where I'm at, hot or cold.
Old 12-17-2012, 06:41 AM   #18
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

I'm not sure, but I think the AU2500 means it is approved to be used in a vehicle that moves people, or something like that.

The insulation class isn't part of a code, it is spelled out.
My PDS motor says "Class H" just to the left of the serial number on the label.

--------------
BTW- 4 X 26 = 104 rater than 106. I must have really been out of it yesterday.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Motor Label.jpg (84.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 12-17-2012, 06:53 AM   #19
sportcoupe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks Johnnie. I see mine says class "H" which is much better then "A".

I looked up class H and it is 180°C @ 20,000 hours, that is 356°F!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 11.jpg (554.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg motor class chart.jpg (73.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 12-17-2012, 07:51 AM   #20
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Thanks Johnnie. I see mine says class "H" which is much better then "A".

I looked up class H and it is 180°C @ 20,000 hours, that is 356°F!
I'm sure you realize this, but for the Non-Technical readers, that temperature rating is for the wires themselves and unless you have a specially designed motor with temperature sensors embedded in the windings or other elaborate means, you cannot measure the temperature of the wires.

Without extensively modifying the motor, attaching a temperature sensor to the case is about the only way we can monitor the the temperature and the motor's case temperature is pretty far removed from at the actual temperature the the windings, so the maximum allowable temperature has to be lowered considerably.

Personally, I'd knock about 50°C off the Class H rating and try to stay below 130°C (266°F), or less.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO