lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-26-2016, 04:01 PM   #11
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Newbie needing motor guidance

You asked for it

Solid info JB

The best solution (by far) is to step up to the new XCT line up of Alltrax controller with rpm monitoring and reverse polarity protection (and many other nice new features). Set the control to limit the rpm to what ever you want and don't worry about it. Even if you do manage to burn or blow the motor up the controller is self protected from damage unlike the earlier versions. Did I mention the XCT has higher peak and sustained outputs and has an optional cooling fan? Oh yeah.
scottyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-26-2016, 05:15 PM   #12
Perry007
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
You asked for it

Solid info JB
Aint that the truth... wow, Thank You JohnnieB... I have to go take a nap after that! Smokes!

Ha, but really thank you. You are a great asset to this forum!

(I will have to re-read Johnnie's post a few times to absorb it!)
Perry007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 07:53 PM   #13
Iflyasa
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

That great info guys!

So I installed the Alltrax 600DCX controller on my stock 2002 EZGO PDS lifted cart with 23@ wheels.

Here are the before times and then after. I was to scared to go full throttle on the stock motor so I took it easy. I just ordered a D&D motor from them personally. The guy basically chewed me out for getting the Alltrax controller. Like insulted me. Really? Oh well. A least I can go full throttle next weekend with the motor arrives..

Golf Times, stop sign to 2nd mailbox

Run 1 10.97 secs
Run 2 11.47 secs
Run 3 11.35 secs
Run 4. 11.59 secs
Avg time 11.34 secs

Top Speed

Slight up hill
Speed 1. 16.5 mp

Slight downhill
Speed 2. 17.6 mph

New Alltrax 600 controller stop sign to 2nd mailbox, easy takeoff.

Run 1. 9.33 secs

About 80% throttle
Slight uphill
Speed 1. 18.1 mph

Slight downhill
Speed 2 20.1 mph
Iflyasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 08:32 AM   #14
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iflyasa View Post
That great info guys!

So I installed the Alltrax 600DCX controller on my stock 2002 EZGO PDS lifted cart with 23@ wheels.

Here are the before times and then after. I was to scared to go full throttle on the stock motor so I took it easy. I just ordered a D&D motor from them personally. The guy basically chewed me out for getting the Alltrax controller. Like insulted me. Really? Oh well. A least I can go full throttle next weekend with the motor arrives..

.........snip.......................
Did the guy at D&D chew you out for getting an Alltrax controller, or for getting a DCX instead of the XCT?

----------------

Setting that aside, at 36V you don't have to worry about over-revving the motor on level ground, so you can put your foot on the floor and find out what the top speed is at 100% throttle.

The problem caused by 500A or larger controllers feeding stock PDS motors is at low RPM. Things like accelerating from a standstill and climbing steep hills at slow speeds.

Take off at partial throttle and wait until the cart is doing 10MPH or so before flooring it.

A controller does not force amps through the motor, instead it limits the number of amps the motor can draw. How many amps a motor can draw is inversely proportional to how fast it is spinning (RPM), so at the top end of the RPM spectrum, it doesn't matter if it is being fed by a 300A, 400A, 500A, 600A or a 1,000A controller, it will only draw the number of amps the motor, in and of itself, is capable of drawing.

However, at low RPM, a stock PDS motor is capable of drawing enough amps to self destruct, which is why it is recommended to turn down the max amp output of high ampacity controllers to 450A or less, which will still allow a stock PDS motor to self destruct if stalled and heavily loaded at low RPM, but most people don't do stuff like that.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 06:04 PM   #15
Iflyasa
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Wow that was an excellant write up regarding the controller! And I. Understand it. Well done. He was just talking about the Alltrex in general. He wanted to me to use a different brand which I can't remember. I was like dude I already installed it. So after a little grumpiness he says to set it up as follows..

Turbo On
Field map 4
Regenerative braking at 80%
Throttle up 3
Throttle down 10

Can you enlighten his young Jedi again as to what all this means? And does this seem right?

Also my blinkers stopped working. They don't flash. Just a steady light. I got a new relay and it still doesn't work. Any ideas?
Old 01-28-2016, 09:19 AM   #16
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

From what I can tell by looking at the D&D website, they re-label and sell Alltrax, FSIP and Navitas controllers. Maybe they've had a falling out with Alltrax or maybe they are just pushing some other brand for some reason or other.

I do know that some of Alltrax's field maps exceed D&D's recommended field weakening limits, which can make the motor run hotter and the hotter a motor runs, the shorter its life expectancy.

Which motor did you get?

Turbo On = Increases top speed by reducing field current.
Field map 4 = Same Field map as a stock PDS motor. (This is the field map I used when I was running my D&D motor with a DCX500 controller)
Regenerative braking at 80% = Limits regen current to 80% of max.
Throttle up 3 = How fast the controller responds to the pedal being pushed. 3 is a fairly gentle setting, but still might be harsh for a 600A controller.
Throttle down 10 = How fast the controller responds to pedal being released.

As for the turn signals, are they factory or aftermarket. Whatever they are the flasher has to match the type bulbs being used.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 10:37 AM   #17
Iflyasa
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
From what I can tell by looking at the D&D website, they re-label and sell Alltrax, FSIP and Navitas controllers. Maybe they've had a falling out with Alltrax or maybe they are just pushing some other brand for some reason or other.

I do know that some of Alltrax's field maps exceed D&D's recommended field weakening limits, which can make the motor run hotter and the hotter a motor runs, the shorter its life expectancy.

Which motor did you get?

Turbo On = Increases top speed by reducing field current.
Field map 4 = Same Field map as a stock PDS motor. (This is the field map I used when I was running my D&D motor with a DCX500 controller)
Regenerative braking at 80% = Limits regen current to 80% of max.
Throttle up 3 = How fast the controller responds to the pedal being pushed. 3 is a fairly gentle setting, but still might be harsh for a 600A controller.
Throttle down 10 = How fast the controller responds to pedal being released.

As for the turn signals, are they factory or aftermarket. Whatever they are the flasher has to match the type bulbs being used.
When I told D&D which motor I was looking at he interrupted me and said just tell me what cart you have. Lifted, tire size, etc.. I said I wanted 25mph. He said the motor he is sending would give me 20mph on 36v, and 25mph on 48v so I'm not sure which one. I said I needed 4600RPM. I will know Saturday when I pick it up. I'll give you the details then. My serial cable for programming wont be here till Tuesday so I won't be able to program it until next Friday.

Here is my blinker..

I installed LED lights and blinker LED lights. Nothing changed. With the old relay they would blink right, but not left. Also, the tiny green lights on the blinker switch don't light up "green" anymore when you turn the blinker on. Even if you flip the blinker up and down to make it blink manually.

When I turn the blinker on with the new relay, the blinkers light up, but no flash. With the new relay now it doesn't blink right. If the relay is shared between left and right, why would the right work, and the left not, with the original relay? Weird.

Oh yea also the hazards don't flash either, it just makes both blinkers stay fully lit.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chrome-7-wir...OOyYVg&vxp=mtr
Old 01-28-2016, 10:49 AM   #18
harleychief
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

From my limited experience with LEDs and especially converting incandescent to LED, you have to have a diode at each light to prevent back feed and your flasher has to be LED compatible. Looking at pictures on Ebay you'll probably want to change out the flasher.
harleychief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 11:08 AM   #19
Iflyasa
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleychief View Post
From my limited experience with LEDs and especially converting incandescent to LED, you have to have a diode at each light to prevent back feed and your flasher has to be LED compatible. Looking at pictures on Ebay you'll probably want to change out the flasher.
I bought a new flasher relay from a local golf cart dealer. It didn't work. So I just did research and read where the LED's draw such little current that they may not allow the flasher to operate. So I need a LED flasher relay. Someone posted this.

http://www.autozone.com/electrical-a...chnewYmme=true
Old 01-28-2016, 01:25 PM   #20
Iflyasa
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Wow, there must be bad blood between Alltrax and D&D. After D&D bashed the Alltrax 600DCX controller, I called Alltrax. They said not to use their motors, specifically the 502-001 or 502-002. Alltrax said they changed something internally and won't admit to it. He said the motor won't perform as advertised and won't last. I feel like I'm in a ping pong match here. Does anybody have these motors?

I have already ordered mine and will be here tomorrow. If it is one of these motors, is my controller safe to use with it long term, and will my performance be degraded? I had no idea this would be such a hassle.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO