lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-30-2016, 10:10 PM   #31
Iflyasa
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Newbie needing motor guidance

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZGO_N_TAHOE View Post
I think that Admiral MOT-B2 motor is what I will go with....Curious to see what motor D&D sent you and what the results are..
I have a PDS so I am curious too.
Iflyasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-31-2016, 12:38 AM   #32
vagabond
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

1 thing to think about it is a Chinese product from what I've been told.
I've been running mine since the first of July last year with no problems.
At 48v I'd install the Ausco hubs at least, better yet their disc brakes or be prepared to tear up some stock hubs
vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 03:18 PM   #33
Iflyasa
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Hey guys.
My motor arrived.

D&D Model #ES-76-51.

This is it. https://www.eastcoastcarts.com/catal...s/DDES7651.htm

I hope to have it running on Saturday.
Old 02-01-2016, 05:51 PM   #34
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iflyasa View Post
Hey guys.
My motor arrived.

D&D Model #ES-76-51.

This is it. https://www.eastcoastcarts.com/catal...s/DDES7651.htm

I hope to have it running on Saturday.
That is the same motor I'm running and I ran it with a DCX500 with Field Map#4 before switching to a XCT controller.

It was slightly slower than my stock PDS motor with a DCX400 and 17" tires, but you have 23" tires which has a 22% torque loss over stock height (18:) while the motor has 30% more torque than a stock PDS motor over the RPM spectrum, so you ought to get about an 8% increase in speed.

Normally a PDS motor with a DCX controller gets about 24 MPH at 36V on 18" tires, so you should get about 26 MPH, unless something is holding the cart back.

Be sure to transfer the rubber spline bumper from the old motor to the new one.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 12:54 PM   #35
Iflyasa
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

So I actually got the motor in yesterday, and reprogrammed the controller. Wow! This thing is night and day over the stock motor. I was getting around 23 mph before I was running out of flat land to test it. This weekend I'll find more road for testing That's about 3mph-ish over the stock motor with the DCX600, and a lot more torque. Now all I need is to add 2 more batteries, a solenoid, and a 48 volt charger.

D&D says 20mph at 36v with a 400 amp controller. With 23" tires I seem to be right in the numbers. Now I want to know what 48V will be. I raised the throttle response to 14/15. Yep it wants to jump hard on the start.
Old 02-02-2016, 02:18 PM   #36
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

It is a pretty wicked motor.

Going from 36V to 48V is increasing the voltage by 1/3, so the speed increase will be about 1/3 also, or roughly 30.6 MPH.

I must warn you that with the throttle up rate set to 14 or 15 in a DCX600, you have the potential of burning out just about any motor, including a ES-76-51 and the probability of doing so is far greater at 48V than it is at 36V.

At Zero RPM, the amps an electric motor will draw is only limited by the DC resistance of the windings, the number of amps the controller will pass, the number of amps the battery can produce and the number of amps the high current cables, connections and contacts will pass. All the amps not being converted into motion by the motor are converted to heat, so the temperature of the windings in a stalled motor skyrocket and the motor quickly becomes a boat anchor.

As the motor's RPM increases, so does its impedance (opposition to amp flow) and eventually the motor cannot draw as many amps as the rest of the amp delivery system can provide.

At the 15 setting, when you slam the pedal to the floor, the duty cycle of the PCM output of the controller goes from 0% to 100% almost instantly and you hit the motor with 22.9kW of energy when it is at Zero RPM. At 48V, you hit it with 30.6kW.

Setting the throttle up rate to a lower number increases the amount of time it takes for the duty cycle to ramp up from 0% to 100%, allowing the motor time to accelerate in RPM and reduce the max amps it can draw.

The trick is to set the throttle up rate so it ramps up quickly enough for optimal acceleration without destroying the motor in the process.

Doing wheelies or spinning the tires may be fun, but doing so reduces how long the motor will last.

Do your wallet and your motor a favor and drop the throttle up rate to 7 or less.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 03:53 PM   #37
Iflyasa
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
It is a pretty wicked motor.

Going from 36V to 48V is increasing the voltage by 1/3, so the speed increase will be about 1/3 also, or roughly 30.6 MPH.

I must warn you that with the throttle up rate set to 14 or 15 in a DCX600, you have the potential of burning out just about any motor, including a ES-76-51 and the probability of doing so is far greater at 48V than it is at 36V.

At Zero RPM, the amps an electric motor will draw is only limited by the DC resistance of the windings, the number of amps the controller will pass, the number of amps the battery can produce and the number of amps the high current cables, connections and contacts will pass. All the amps not being converted into motion by the motor are converted to heat, so the temperature of the windings in a stalled motor skyrocket and the motor quickly becomes a boat anchor.

As the motor's RPM increases, so does its impedance (opposition to amp flow) and eventually the motor cannot draw as many amps as the rest of the amp delivery system can provide.

At the 15 setting, when you slam the pedal to the floor, the duty cycle of the PCM output of the controller goes from 0% to 100% almost instantly and you hit the motor with 22.9kW of energy when it is at Zero RPM. At 48V, you hit it with 30.6kW.

Setting the throttle up rate to a lower number increases the amount of time it takes for the duty cycle to ramp up from 0% to 100%, allowing the motor time to accelerate in RPM and reduce the max amps it can draw.

The trick is to set the throttle up rate so it ramps up quickly enough for optimal acceleration without destroying the motor in the process.

Doing wheelies or spinning the tires may be fun, but doing so reduces how long the motor will last.

Do your wallet and your motor a favor and drop the throttle up rate to 7 or less.
Hey thats great info. I definately see the logic of high amps at takeoff. I haven't just punched it for that reason. I learned from your previous post. I will turn it back down to say 7. D&D said to set it to 3. I like 7 better.
Old 02-03-2016, 12:35 PM   #38
Iflyasa
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

JohnnieB

What's the performance difference between the DCX400 and XCT48400?
Old 02-03-2016, 12:56 PM   #39
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iflyasa View Post
JohnnieB

What's the performance difference between the DCX400 and XCT48400?
There are 15 years of technology between the DCX and the XCT. The XCT also has higher peak and sustained outputs plus reverse polarity protection which saves the controller if and when you find the bragging limit of your new motor.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 01:10 PM   #40
Iflyasa
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
There are 15 years of technology between the DCX and the XCT. The XCT also has higher peak and sustained outputs plus reverse polarity protection which saves the controller if and when you find the bragging limit of your new motor.
So what amps are you talking?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO