lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Harley Davidson

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-09-2020, 10:47 AM   #21
RoboHarleyGolf70
Not Yet Wild
Harley Davidson

Default Re: Harley Davidson 1970 Golf Cart Restoration Project

Thanks jakesnake27 - Maybe you can help me on a issue that I created a separate thread about but haven't had any response. Here is the issue from post: I have a issue with my 1980 3-Wheel Harley Golf cart where as the front wheel appears way to close to the cross member above it and I fear that if I'm moving pretty good and hit a bump that with the suspension that the from wheel will hit against the bar and could be a dangerous situation especially since these things don't have seat belts and don't want to risk my kids safety, of course. I got this cart in need of some resto work and had flat tires, so didn't notice any clearance issues then until I went to reassemble and got new tires (same size) and installed. The front shocks are adjustable by screwing out but I literally have them out as far as safely they can go without falling out. Does anyone have any experience/guidance on this? I can't find info on what clearance should be anywhere. I can barely get my figure between tire/cross bar. I have included pics!
Thanks for any help as this item is holding my build up and would love to have it running this summer.
Maybe Jakesnake - You can measure your clearance so I know what I should be targeting. Would be a huge help! - Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0918.jpg (105.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0912.jpg (108.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0915.jpg (149.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0916.jpg (210.9 KB, 0 views)
RoboHarleyGolf70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-09-2020, 11:11 AM   #22
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

That is interesting. Unfortunately my cart is in storage at the moment and I don't know when I'd be able to get out to it and check the clearance on mine, but if memory serves me, I have roughly 3" of clearance between the top of the tire and the metal cross member. Yours is certainly way too close. My hopes are that someone else with one of these will chime in with a measurement.

Could it be that the two front shocks are simply worn out?
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 02:37 PM   #23
Scooter_Trash
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

I'm not positive my 64 is dimensioned the same as your 80. (But knowing Harley I wouldn't doubt it much)
Having said that, I've got maybe 2.5 " clearance between the top of my front tire and the bottom of the front bumper T-bar. That looks to be about the travel capability of my front fork also. My T-bar did sit a bit lower until I replaced it with a non-damaged unit and tightened it down properly. It is very possible someones hit hard on the bumper and tweeked it all downward. Very heavy walled tubing to bend , however. What size tire is on the front? Yours certainly looks beefy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1713.JPG (30.6 KB, 0 views)
Scooter_Trash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 04:07 PM   #24
RoboHarleyGolf70
Not Yet Wild
Harley Davidson

Thank you jakesnake for a reply with info. They are springs up in the tubes, so maybe. I'm going to check with vintage golf parts site and see what length of spring is suppose to be versus what mine are - after I take apart again, ugh. But think I'll have to rework anyway with how it sits now.

Hey Scootertrash - thanks too man for that info. I'll have to really check that cross bar then. Let me check and get back to you on size of that tire too. What size do you have. Mine does look beefier but thought for sure that's what size manual said and old tire were. Definitely need to double check. Thanks
Old 04-09-2020, 04:43 PM   #25
alwhite00
Gone Wild
Club Car

Cool cart. My dad worked at Harley building golf carts back in the 70’s when we lived in Milwaukee.
alwhite00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 05:10 PM   #26
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwhite00 View Post
My dad worked at Harley building golf carts back in the 70’s when we lived in Milwaukee.
That's awesome!
Old 04-10-2020, 09:50 AM   #27
RoboHarleyGolf70
Not Yet Wild
Harley Davidson

Alwhite - Nice, yeah these older carts are cool-unique.

Jakesnake - So my tire size is 18x8.50-8 - Is that what you are running?
Old 04-10-2020, 10:09 AM   #28
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboHarleyGolf70 View Post
Jakesnake - So my tire size is 18x8.50-8 - Is that what you are running?
Yep, that's what I am running. It's also the standard golf cart size.
Old 04-10-2020, 10:11 AM   #29
RoboHarleyGolf70
Not Yet Wild
Harley Davidson

Okay yeah that's what I thought, but definetly worth checking. I'll look more into the shock springs and any cross member damage next. Hopefully this weekend. Not sure what else could be causing this??
Old 04-10-2020, 10:14 AM   #30
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

Like Scooter said, your entire bumper could could be pushed downwards. Good luck and keep us updated!

Tags
harley 3 wheel, harley davidson golf cart, harley gas golf cart, harley/columbia
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Harley Davidson