lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-27-2011, 02:48 PM   #1
retiringsoon
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default needing advice

I have a 2003 club car lifted with 22" tires. The FE290 engine is bad. Have a guy wanting to sell me a FZ340 for 100 bucks. Would you advise me to make this swap orspend a little more cash and go back with 290. My engine is unfortunately a CW rotation and I know after talking to Tom, I am going to loose speed anyway being I can't afford new CW engine and will be using CCW engine. just do not know about 340. thanks in advance because you guy's know what you would do, just tell me.
retiringsoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-27-2011, 03:19 PM   #2
stinger5
Gone Wild

Default Re: needing advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiringsoon View Post
I have a 2003 club car lifted with 22" tires. The FE290 engine is bad. Have a guy wanting to sell me a FZ340 for 100 bucks. Would you advise me to make this swap orspend a little more cash and go back with 290. My engine is unfortunately a CW rotation and I know after talking to Tom, I am going to loose speed anyway being I can't afford new CW engine and will be using CCW engine. just do not know about 340. thanks in advance because you guy's know what you would do, just tell me.
The FZ340 / KF82 motor is a nice little unit and $100 is a very good deal if it runs well. You will find parts quite hard to find for it and of course you will need a CCW spring installed in the driven clutch and there will be several modifications needed to the "plumbing". I don't recall reading any threads about folks going backward in engine type but I'm sure it's been done.
A clone engine might be another option given the amount of work you will have to do. http://www.maxtool.com/us/products/XP16HPE.asp
Naturally this will also require many modifications to get in your 03 but you have the benefit of warranty and parts availability.
Regarding the CCW vs CW rotation and loss of speed, it's to my understanding that you will lose approx 5mph but this can be reclaimed with some very simple tricks and tweeks.
Hope that gives you some food for thought.
stinger5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 03:24 PM   #3
retiringsoon
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

thanks, did not think it was the smartest thing to do. Will just save some money and get bolt in 290, then order CCW spring from CPP.
Old 10-27-2011, 03:37 PM   #4
retiringsoon
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinger5 View Post
The FZ340 / KF82 motor is a nice little unit and $100 is a very good deal if it runs well. You will find parts quite hard to find for it and of course you will need a CCW spring installed in the driven clutch and there will be several modifications needed to the "plumbing". I don't recall reading any threads about folks going backward in engine type but I'm sure it's been done.
A clone engine might be another option given the amount of work you will have to do. http://www.maxtool.com/us/products/XP16HPE.asp
Naturally this will also require many modifications to get in your 03 but you have the benefit of warranty and parts availability.
Regarding the CCW vs CW rotation and loss of speed, it's to my understanding that you will lose approx 5mph but this can be reclaimed with some very simple tricks and tweeks.
Hope that gives you some food for thought.
thanks, did not think it was a very good idea. just going to wait and get new 290 bolt in engine.
Old 10-27-2011, 06:08 PM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I did the wrong-way engine in the CC once....
Never again, it is a disappointment...
I suggest you get the correct rotation & go equal or bigger on power.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car