lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-22-2013, 07:11 PM   #1
strafaze
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Need suspension advice for G2

I need some shocks for the rear of my G2. I like the idea of the air-shocks. The cart is lifted approx. 6", but not correctly at all (bought it this way). They turned the rear end into a rigid. It is lifted by some square steel stock placed where the shocks would normally mount up. One question, do you get the rebound needed from the air-shock set up (Monroe MA803), without having springs. I am pretty mechanically inclined (work on atv's, cars, dirt bikes......), but this is my first cart. It is an '89 yamaha g2. I got pretty much everything else working on it. I am familliar with a coilover setup, i just want to make sure the air shocks would take the place of a coilover. I thought you would use those along with an application that had some sort of spring or leaf. I put a new clutch on it (previous one was trashed), power spring, ramp shoes, filters, brakes, heavy duty belt, gas pedal run directly to carb, etc... Now it is time to tackle the botched lift that was done on the cart. I am wondering if one of the previous owners took the back shocks and moved them into the front? Major camber issue on the front (looking at the front of the cart it's \ /). It currently has 22x11x8 tires on it. I am open to any advice and suggestions.
Sorry for the long post. I have been on this site almost every day since I bought the cart. I must say, you guys know your stuff and have some pretty cool looking rides. I figured I would throw up a post to get some feed back.
Thanks in advance...
strafaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-22-2013, 08:53 PM   #2
HDPwolf
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Need suspension advice for G2

the air shocks have worked out great for me, my cart has the stock ride hight, up front, but with the air shocks on back I can lift the cart, increase the load capacity, or change the ride , with max air in the shocks, it is like a "rigid" no or very little give, but as you let out some air the ride changes and the hight stays to a point, let out more air and lower the cart, not notice a difference in ride, once your not maxed out on air, have heard of guys using a limiting strap to keep shock from toping out, my set up does not limit travel of shock, the pic shows the cart at max height from the air shocks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg snow cart 008.jpg (238.8 KB, 0 views)
HDPwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:00 AM   #3
strafaze
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

the air shock setup worked perfectly! very minor mods had to be made to allow for the shocks to fit. i highly recommend this setup
Old 12-20-2013, 12:01 AM   #4
chrisnlbc
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by strafaze View Post
the air shock setup worked perfectly! very minor mods had to be made to allow for the shocks to fit. i highly recommend this setup

Hey Guys,

I just picked up a set of the MA803's for my 87 G2, and wanted to revive this thread to see if you can give me a few more details on what mods had to be done to make them fit our carts? Grind off a little of the eyelet i think? Thanks in advance!

Chris
chrisnlbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 11:49 PM   #5
HFDTower
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

I'm looking to do the same for my G9 how hard was the trasition using the Monroe MA 803 shocks? I wonder if theses would work on my G9? I think I need 13"
HFDTower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 11:08 AM   #6
strafaze
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

the only thing I had to do was grind the width of the shock mounts to be able to fit into the width of the mounting locations from the factory. I have been happy with the setup. i'm sure it does not ride as smooth as some of the other carts out there, but I don't have a problem with it. I have the allsports lift on the front (7" I think?) and my cart sits pretty level with these shocks on the back. they have held up to some decent jumps I have subjected my poor cart to.
Old 07-12-2018, 03:06 PM   #7
jackhandy
Not Yet Wild

Reviving this thread again. What do you use to fill up and deflate the air shocks? Do you use an air compressor or a hand pump? Looking into this before I attempt to install them. Thanks!!!
jackhandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 09:59 PM   #8
jclark138
Runs with scissors-

Yamaha

Hey,
Another revival attempt.
Just blew out a stock shock on my G2; heck it’s only 30+ years old. The air-shocks sound like the answer to my needs. Wife is disabled so can’t get in my lifted ezgo, and it rides horribly anyway. So fixing her G2 up with air shocks sounds good. Any updates, comments?
Thanks in advance
jclark138 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lift, shocks, suspension, yamaha
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha