lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-11-2014, 01:58 PM   #1
flharleycop
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Help buying new Express 4 maybe

I am considering buying a new ezgo express 4, I like the look and the lift that is comes with from the factory. The only issue I have is I cannot get a direct answer on how fast I can get it to go without changing the motor. I have a 36v now which is street legal and it has a range of about 25 miles and top speed of 19-20. I am thinking gas to get more range and I need to get faster than my 36v cart to drive in traffic. Thanks for your help on how and what I can expect for speed on the new gas cart.
flharleycop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 02:40 PM   #2
gravelydude
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Help buying new Express 4 maybe

EZ-Go site says 17mph. I would imagine that a governor override would get you a little more? Others here would probably know more.

Jack
gravelydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 02:55 PM   #3
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

I picked up a 2011 this summer with the Kawasaki "13hp" drivetrain and HATED IT - that cart lasted about 3 weeks before it was sold down the road to fund another 2008 build. I popped the $ for the TEAM clutches and belt, disabled the governor, installed a better air cleaner, and it was still less powerful, less acceleration, and less speed than my 97 with the stock 9hp 295cc... Wide open with just a driver I was able to get it to about 21-22mph on pavement (and that was running 23" tires) - keep in mind though, that even disabling the governor isn't enough, the internals are plastic and are known to "Grenade" at high speeds if the rear end isn't disassembled and all the plastic components removed - WAY too much of a PITA for me, especially given the anemic performance on hills, etc ...

Were it ME, I'd look towards a clean, low-hour 350cc cart (2009 and down) and do the lift yourself. The factory lifts are a simple drop-axle (look good but nothing fancy) and along with saving money You'll have a faster, more powerful cart - PLUS the 2cyl 350's are far smoother than the 13hp Kawi - those thump like a Club Car, it gets annoying pretty fast. Add in the fact that there are almost NO available performance mods for the 13hp drivetrain, aftermarket stuff (what there is) is relatively expensive in comparison - Other than the "Look" of the new style Express, You'd likely be a lot happier.
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 03:01 PM   #4
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Oops - and I almost forgot, if You DO go with the 13hp and remove the governor, etc in order to be able to run at top speed, you won't want to - the rev limiter on them is actually set at a higher RPM than valve float ... I don't want to give the impression that I'm "Bashing" the 13hp carts, they are what they are - but compared to the older drivetrain, well, there really IS none. Maybe the next big design change will be better, but until then I'd personally run away from the current-gen carts.
Old 10-11-2014, 10:50 PM   #5
flharleycop
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

[QUOTE=BrewCityMusic;1083169]Oops - and I almost forgot, if You DO go with the 13hp and remove the governor, etc in order to be able to run at top speed, you won't want to - the rev limiter on them is actually set at a higher RPM than valve float ... I don't want to give the impression

Thanks, now I only know the ezgo electric so I don’t know what you mean about a 350? Which model should I be looking for? Is a club car better in that sense? Sorry for the questions but you seem to have already been through this and I do not want to spend bad money.

Thanks,
Old 10-11-2014, 11:47 PM   #6
sccowboy
It ain't gonna be easy.

E-Z-GO

Hes talking about mid 90s models that had the robin 295 or 350cc twin cylinder engines.
sccowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 12:25 PM   #7
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Yep - basically all EZGO's from 1994 through late 2008 had either the 295 or 350 Fuji/Robin twins. I prefer the 350's (obviously due to the extra horsepower) ... The St series are great carts (avoid the ST480 though, those had a Briggs engine, and parts are scarce as well as expensive). The MPT models are my personal favorite due to the longer wheelbase and dump boxes, but if You're looking for something with a rear seat then the ST350 is a great choice (they have the larger 350cc engine as well as the higher-torque clutching of the MPT models so they are well-suited to the added weight of passengers).

As to Club Cars, I have only played around with a few of them over the last few years and personally just can't warm up to them. The Aluminum frames are nice but the Body styles leave something to be desired (to me anyhow) and I'm just not a fan of single-cylinder carts (especially underpowered ones) ...That's not to say they don't have their merits, and possibly a quick trip over to the Club Car subforum would get You some different perspectives from CC owners.
Old 10-12-2014, 02:07 PM   #8
flharleycop
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewCityMusic View Post
Yep - basically all EZGO's from 1994 through late 2008 had either the 295 or 350 Fuji/Robin twins. I prefer the 350's (obviously due to the extra horsepower) ... The St series are great carts (avoid the ST480 though, those had a Briggs engine, and parts are scarce as well as expensive). The MPT models are my personal favorite due to the longer wheelbase and dump boxes, but if You're looking for something with a rear seat then the ST350 is a great choice (they have the larger 350cc engine as well as the higher-torque clutching of the MPT models so they are well-suited to the added weight of passengers).

As to Club Cars, I have only played around with a few of them over the last few years and personally just can't warm up to them. The Aluminum frames are nice but the Body styles leave something to be desired (to me anyhow) and I'm just not a fan of single-cylinder carts (especially underpowered ones) ...That's not to say they don't have their merits, and possibly a quick trip over to the Club Car subforum would get You some different perspectives from CC owners.
Thank you for the information. If I can find a 2008 ST gas what speed can I get without rebuilding the whole thing?
Old 10-12-2014, 02:22 PM   #9
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

I just finished a 2008 build, it's a Workhorse-Style though so it weighs a LOT more than the ST would (meaning I would expect more speed out of the ST) - I just have the governor cranked down (not bypassed) and I am getting a solid 28 on 23" tires. As another example, I have built a TXT with the 350cc, 28deg clutch, a shorter belt, and 8:1 gears in the rear end, that cart ran a solid 35mph with 2 people, and due to the 28deg clutch and the shorter belt, accelerated and pulled as good as a standard cart.

As long as You get the ST350 with the 350cc engine, it *should* already have the 28deg clutch (the number will be stamped on the trans-side of the clutch, it'll say "36" (stock clutch) or "28" (high-torque clutch) - You're looking for "28"...Wiith that as a base cart setup, adding bigger tires will easily get you into the high 20's, and a $300 set of 8:1 gears and a $26 belt will easily put You into the mid-30's. Stock tires and no mods will get you into the mid-20's no problem with governor adjustment.
Old 10-12-2014, 02:55 PM   #10
flharleycop
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewCityMusic View Post
I just finished a 2008 build, it's a Workhorse-Style though so it weighs a LOT more than the ST would (meaning I would expect more speed out of the ST) - I just have the governor cranked down (not bypassed) and I am getting a solid 28 on 23" tires. As another example, I have built a TXT with the 350cc, 28deg clutch, a shorter belt, and 8:1 gears in the rear end, that cart ran a solid 35mph with 2 people, and due to the 28deg clutch and the shorter belt, accelerated and pulled as good as a standard cart.

As long as You get the ST350 with the 350cc engine, it *should* already have the 28deg clutch (the number will be stamped on the trans-side of the clutch, it'll say "36" (stock clutch) or "28" (high-torque clutch) - You're looking for "28"...Wiith that as a base cart setup, adding bigger tires will easily get you into the high 20's, and a $300 set of 8:1 gears and a $26 belt will easily put You into the mid-30's. Stock tires and no mods will get you into the mid-20's no problem with governor adjustment.
WOW thank you

Tags
fast, gas ezgo, speed
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO