lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-30-2015, 04:52 AM   #41
rocko
Gone Wild

Default Re: Ezgo Work Horse /Honda TRX250 drive train

<Stove , I am a little worried about that , I am building it to ride in the mud not to go fast or on the black top , but I have had a few hospital stays from dirt machines , I am worried about it flipping over , and don't plan on letting anyone drive it ---------
rocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-30-2015, 07:50 AM   #42
StoveBolt
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocko View Post
<Stove , I am a little worried about that , I am building it to ride in the mud not to go fast or on the black top , but I have had a few hospital stays from dirt machines , I am worried about it flipping over , and don't plan on letting anyone drive it ---------
StoveBolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 03:52 PM   #43
my1423
Gone Wild

Cart is looking good!
Any plans for a fan yet? It will need one.
Should also look into a case mod for an oil cooler since the clutch will get a real workout.

Love the xl250.
I have had a few of those.
Modern flat slide cab can help wake em up as well as an hei ignition.
Find yourself the whole cdi pulser assembly and cover from a 90-125 three wheeler or trail bike. All of it except the gear cover that has the oil seal.
Multi use engine found in tons of bikes.
Everything slips on. Have to notch the head a bit for the pulse coil to fit.
Also need a spacer on the cam end since the shaft is shorter on the xl. Just the end shaft bolt.
Then the hei parts and diagram for 3pg conversion works after that.

Pit bike stuff can be modded as well to look more stock but the mechanical advance is better as well as that hot 50 plug gap!

What are your jackshaft plans?
Slack on 2 chains sucks. Must have a good tight adjustment on the front chain. They break! 530 is a must.
Saw a guy build a xl350 using a mower 90 shaft box coupler welded to the stock sprocket and the shaft drive assembly and rear hub from an old street bike.
No slack!
my1423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 09:11 PM   #44
rocko
Gone Wild

My , sounds like you have had a a lot of experience with the old SL/XL 250-350's , they were hot back in the day ,from what I have read the 73-73 1/2 were the last SL engines , the XL was tuned down a little , I would have to think they were the best thing going for a rider wanting to race and buying something off the show room floor and not sponsored by a factory at it's time --------there was no jack shaft on this conversion kit , still not sure who made it , I think it was Missile Engineering , a coupler connected the main output shaft to a sleeve that went thru a bearing and bearing holder to the sprocket , I tore up and broke the main shaft , got another brand new shaft and a set of gaskets , it runs great but I will have to take the jug off to split the case to change the shaft , so it is going to get at least rings -------- now that you mention it a jack shaft may be a better way to go than they way it was set up -------- the bike was street legal before the kit , the ATV tires are not highway rated , hope to get the plate on it and ride the 25 mph black top back road and be able to jump off on some tralis
Old 05-30-2015, 11:12 PM   #45
my1423
Gone Wild

Been decades since i had one of these. Loved them.
Looks ect.
If i remember right the only real difference between the sl xl was jets, forest rated muffler baffle, Cam. Can look up part numbers on cam to see if they were different or maybe still available.

After looking at the pictures closer i can see the mods for the pillow block.
I have seen a few done this way. Seen many an eaten boot and pants. Plus a few broken or chipped output shafts.

All the missile kits i have seen had jackshafts.

Remembered something else the cover from the cdi will not work. You have to make a spacer for the existing points cover.
Different bike. Still have to notch the head for the pickup coil in the spot of your choice.
The internals from a 185-200 also work. You will need to notch the new cdi unit advancer for the cam locator pin in a new position.
If you make a new cover spacer you can move the pickup to be inside the cover.
If you use the existing spot on the advance unit the pulsor will protrude beyond the head and be exposed straight up.
These bits are what im talking about.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/85-HONDA-ATC...e44e3d&vxp=mtr

For the cart engine.
Pretty sure that engine runs oil through the left case to the crank on to the oil centrifuge.
On the 125-200 engine you can tap those oil lines in the case and run it to a cooler.
Just like this 200x
http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...il-cooler-pics
my1423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 11:30 AM   #46
rocko
Gone Wild

My , sounds like you know a little about the ATV conversion kits , I did a lot of research to try and find out more about the bike , and can't find another one like it or anything about it , I think a lot of that has to do with the era , it was before the internet --------the story of how the bike found me is a friend went to an old local guys barn to buy some stuff and seen the bike and another bike , he knew I like dirt machines , got me in and he sold it to me really cheap I thought at $250 , he said it was his son's bike , who bought it new and had the kit installed by someone out in California a couple of years after he got it , he rode it one summer , move away out of town and it set in a barn for like 40 years , it has been a slow burner , coated the tank , cleaned the carb , few new cables , battery and got it running , redone the brakes and bearing , tires , turn signals , lights , brake levers and grips , etc , etc , now I need to split the case and change the shaft , either redo the shaft extension set up or do a jack shaft , I am familiar with jack shafts as I have another very slow burner project going on with a jack shaft , a Tomberlyn Crossfire 150 , with a 1986 Honda TRX200SX engine in it
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1222.jpg (241.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 06-01-2015, 06:12 PM   #47
rocko
Gone Wild

What do you'll think about running the coil over shock upside down , where the coil is at the bottom , it seems most do it that way , do you think the shock will perform the same or should the coil be at the top
Old 06-02-2015, 06:18 PM   #48
rocko
Gone Wild

Here is a pic of the upside down? shocks , looks great that way but do the work the same upside down ----- I am not sure if the shocks are oil or gas charged , if they were gas I would guess it wouldn't matter , oil may be a different story
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1239.jpg (269.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1236.jpg (306.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 06-22-2015, 04:43 AM   #49
rocko
Gone Wild

Flat black paint on the cowl , started front motor mount and a few other things I forgot to take pics of
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1281.jpg (272.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1283.jpg (252.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1286.jpg (199.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-04-2015, 07:05 AM   #50
rocko
Gone Wild

Looking for some spacer material for steering tie rod extensions , 12 mm id at least 25 mm od and 90-100 mm long, anyone know where I could find such a thing
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO