lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts
Lifted Golf Carts Off-Road Golf Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-01-2015, 03:19 PM   #1
Blitzkrieg
Getting Wild
Club Car

Location: Hell, Fl. Sucking the life out of old geezers, one drop of sweat at a time !
Default #2 Gauge Cables

Are cables with more individual strands better than the opposite. The ones i just received have 644 strands and are very flexible.These are sweet looking and feeling. Very well made welding cable. I am thinking about replacing all my heavy cables as this guy can do the colors i need (stock colors). What are my stock gauge cables ,,,6 ??? #2 should be more than adequate for my application huh?? Custom Made Replacement Cables for HD CLUB CAR 83 & UP SET

I only Build with EXCELENE WELDING CABLE.

Specs on the Cable:

2 AWG ROYAL/EXCELENE WELDING CABLE
CONDUCTORS:BARE COPPER
STRANDING:644
JACKET: EPDM
O.D:.411
TEMPERTURE: -50*C TO 105*C
VOLTS:600V HIGH DIELECTRIC STRENGTH INTEGRITY
RESISTANCE TO FLAME,OIL,GREASE SOLVENTS,OZONE AND ABRASION
(ROHS COMPLIANCE)

Specs on the Tinned Copper lugs:

Type: Battery marine Ring lug terminal
Barrel Type: Closed
Insulation: None
Material: Plating Mating Tin
Stud Size 5/16"
Termination Interface: Style Crimp or Compression
Wire Size AWG 2
CSA & UL RATED
Max Temp:149 (c)

High Heat 2:1 shrink Specs:

Shrink ratio: 50% or more in the radial direction
Continuous operating temperature: - 55°C to 135°C
Flammability: UL VW-1, CSA OFT, -F-MARK
High heat-resistance
resistance to chemicals and oils
SHRINK RATIO:2:1
Attached Images
File Type: jpg #2 Gauge Welding Wire Battery Cables 18.00.JPG (20.7 KB, 0 views)
Blitzkrieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-01-2015, 03:24 PM   #2
Hecky50
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: #2 Gauge Cables

So,where did you by them. Some of us would like to know!!
Hecky50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 01:19 PM   #3
Blitzkrieg
Getting Wild
Club Car

Location: Hell, Fl. Sucking the life out of old geezers, one drop of sweat at a time !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hecky50 View Post
So,where did you by them. Some of us would like to know!!
Duh ,,sorry dude,found them on Ebay ,acdcelectricparts, is the seller. Do a search on "welding battery cable" and acdcelectricparts is all over that page , go to their store and your there.
Old 06-02-2015, 03:08 PM   #4
Gregorio
Gone Wild
Club Car

The number of strands does not really help conduct more DC current. It does make it easier to bend and work with in general. AC current is subject something called "skin effect" where the current flows on the surface. As the frequency increases, the depth at which the current flow decreases.
Gregorio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 03:45 PM   #5
Andy4639
48/400/Alltrax HS motor

E-Z-GO

Cool Re: #2 Gauge Cables

#2 welding cable should be fine for anything you throw at it later down the road. It want hurt a thing as of now either. Think of it as a hose pipe.
You will have more water with a 1" pipe than 1/2" but the pressure will increase on the 1/2".
You need flow not pressure. Make sure all the connections are really clean and kept clean.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 08:03 PM   #6
Blitzkrieg
Getting Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy4639 View Post
#2 welding cable should be fine for anything you throw at it later down the road. It want hurt a thing as of now either. Think of it as a hose pipe.
You will have more water with a 1" pipe than 1/2" but the pressure will increase on the 1/2".
You need flow not pressure. Make sure all the connections are really clean and kept clean.
Thanks, i was deliberating on solder vs crimp. researched it and found this. Its why i went with industrial crimp. No solder. The vibration statement is what caught my attention!

For high currents and thick wires, a gas-tight crimped junction is the industry standard choice.

While solder appears to have its advantages, the key issue to keep in mind is the challenge of soldering 1 AWG copper wire, where the thermal conductivity of the wire itself will rapidly draw heat away from the soldering location, and insulation etc elsewhere on the wire would get overheated and damaged. Of course, for such uses, a blow-torch type gas soldering gun would be used instead of conventional soldering irons, but the issue remains.

Another concern with soldering is that the solder itself could potentially melt and run, leading to an all round mess, if the junction were to heat up enough, a distinct possibility at 160 Amperes.

Definitely: a crimped connection will be best if properly done. One thing I have seen many times is that soldered connections create a critical point at the point where the solder ends on the side opposite to the terminal: the solder wicks between the individual wires of the cable, producing a very stiff zone where the cable's flexibility is lost... this point is very fatigue prone, and will break if the cable is moved or flexed or subject to the slightest vibration. Soon, the rigid solder impregnated part of the cable breaks and separates from the rest of the flexible cable!
Old 06-03-2015, 08:48 AM   #7
klanel
Gone Wild
Club Car

That's the same cables I plan to buy. Reasonably priced and sufficiently constructed. I personally can't understand why anyone would pay in the neighborhood $200+ for a set of cables that I've seen advertised. I have the crimper to make my own and also the soldering skiils, Even have some silver solder at home but it's hard to beat the price on these after you buy all the materials to make your own.
klanel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 01:37 PM   #8
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
For high currents and thick wires, a gas-tight crimped junction is the industry standard choice
The gas-tight is the critical part.

You will not achieve that with a "anvil" type crimper where you hit it with a hammer.

It is also important to use:
Properly sized diamond or hex crimp die.
Heavy walled Closed end cable lugs.
Adhesive lined shrink wrap.
It is also impossible to solder a properly crimped connection or crimp a properly soldered connection.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 02:25 PM   #9
Andy4639
48/400/Alltrax HS motor

E-Z-GO

Thumbs up Re: #2 Gauge Cables

I make my cables if I do a 72 volt cart. I have the crimper and fittings and I have cables 10+ years old.
48volt 36 volts you fine with the standard stuff. I've never had any problems with them on the lower voltage carts.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 07:40 PM   #10
Blitzkrieg
Getting Wild
Club Car

I thought about buying this and making my own but after all is said and done, i'm better off just calling Dover and let him make them for me. Its the only cables i'll ever need and they'll outlast me and then some. I don't need another tool lying around but if i were to do it, this is the way i'd go,,,13 ton for 49.95
Attached Images
File Type: jpg $_57.jpg (100.0 KB, 0 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts