lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-14-2019, 07:06 PM   #1
thibs396
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default 92 DS Intermittent Throttle Issue

When I push the Accelerator pedal, sometimes cart runs fine, other times it wont move at all. I hear a click every time from the black box, which i assume is the solenoid. If I play with the Pedal it will eventually run, sometimes its the next push down, other times it may take 10 to 15 pushes before it will run.
thibs396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-15-2019, 07:26 AM   #2
superpro56
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default re: 92 DS Intermittent Throttle Issue

Start with the easiest, confirm fully charged battery.
superpro56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 08:12 AM   #3
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

What happens if you hold the pedal down?

It's not uncommon for the starter/generator to struggle to turn the motor if it's starting on the compression stroke of the motor... but if you hold the pedal down long enough it will usually overcome it and start.

Could be the brushes worn in the starter/generator as well. They're cheap and easy to replace.

Does the S/G spin when it doesn't start? ( belt may be loose) or does nothing move at all?
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 08:30 AM   #4
cmt511
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I recently had a similar issue. It was the solenoid. Got a new one from NAPA
cmt511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 09:37 PM   #5
thibs396
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks for the responses, I have not held down the pedal, but will try that. I do not believe anythings spins. Battery is fully charged. I am going to replace the mirco switches in the black box. I also bought a solenoid over the winter, so I can try that as well. I hope to work on it this weekend
Old 04-24-2019, 09:59 PM   #6
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by thibs396 View Post
Thanks for the responses, I have not held down the pedal, but will try that. I do not believe anythings spins. Battery is fully charged. I am going to replace the mirco switches in the black box. I also bought a solenoid over the winter, so I can try that as well. I hope to work on it this weekend
If the solenoid "clicks" the microswitches are working. Need to check and see if the solenoid is really sending power on to the starter when the "click" happens.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 09:07 AM   #7
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: 92 DS Intermittent Throttle Issue

When it does it, try to turn the primary clutch by hand so it's past the compression stroke and see if it starts up.

If so, Mine was doing this really bad if the engine stopped on the compression stroke, it was having a hard time overcoming compression stroke to start so I replaced the brushes a while back. They were pretty badly worn, and needed replacing anyway. it helped a little but it still did it. Then I cleaned the battery terminals, and replaced the power wire going from the battery to the solenoid and it helped a ton. It starts way easier than it did before. I think a new ground wire will probably fix it the rest of the way judging by the difference replacing the power wire has made, i've just never gotten around to it.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 07:43 PM   #8
thibs396
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks for all the replys, I just got around to looking at this yesterday. I replaced the micro switches and no change. I will double check that even if solenoid clicks that it is sending power. Holding the pedal down sometimes will eventually start, but not always. I did notice that during the intermittent starts, that the Ground from the Generator gets really hot, almost too hot to touch. All connections do look good but I will also clean them all up.

Where can i get info on how to change the brushes? After reading some of the replies, I am sure they also need help.
Old 06-09-2019, 10:07 PM   #9
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

The fact that the ground lead from the starter / generator is getting hot means there is a poor connection there. Clean & tighten that ground connection, or outright replace that ground wire.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car