lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-30-2020, 08:38 PM   #1
buggyAl
Getting Wild

Default Keeps shearing key on flywheel after rebuild

Looking for guidance. I recently rebuilt a FE350D AS27 in a CarryAll. The AS27 has adjustable rockers and tappets rather than hydraulic lifters. During the rebuild I discovered that the head was cracked. Replaced the head with one off of a AS11. See photo below. New rings, honed cylinder, lapped valves. I have run for just a few minutes. Upon starting it seemed to hesitate on the compression stroke. I am thinking that is is just a week starter. It ran and took it for a test drive. Drove for about 4 blocks. Shut it off to check everything over. All looked well. Stepped on the pedal it hiccuped and farted then nothing. Took it back to the shop and found that the flywheel key had sheared. Replaced the key and torqued the flywheel nut to 101 ftlb and put it together. Just started it up. Start up sounded normal. Drove 1.5 miles all sounded fairly normal. I did hear what I thought sounded like a little pre-ignition. Shut it off sat for about 5 minutes then started with a little hesitation on the compression stroke. Drove about .5 miles shut it off. Restarted no problem. Drove 2 blocks shut it off for 2 minutes and on restart it sheered the flywheel key. There is a small difference in the heads and the replacement (AS11) head is higher compression. Valves are set at .004 cold. looking for solutions.

Thanks to All
Attached Images
File Type: jpg InkedIMG_both.jpg (256.1 KB, 0 views)
buggyAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-30-2020, 08:55 PM   #2
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: Keeps shearing key on flywheel after rebuild

I dont see how the head or anything else would have any effect on the flywheel. It's just a huge chunk of steel external to the motor that spins. Is the fan or anything dragging that would cause resistance on the flywheel? Is it the original or did you replace it? I've rebuilt a ton of these engines and never had one problem with the flywheel.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 09:42 PM   #3
buggyAl
Getting Wild

New coil and the air gap was set at .012. Same flywheel.
Old 03-30-2020, 09:51 PM   #4
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

What are the keys made of? Are they hardened steel? Do you feel any drag when turning the motor over with the flywheel? and the spark plug removed? Is there any damage to the keyway on either the crankshaft or the flywheel?
Old 03-31-2020, 09:22 PM   #5
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

If I remember right the flywheel has a taper fit onto the crankshaft. The nut should have a big washer under it I think to take up clearance so the nut doesn’t bottom on the crank before it tightens to the flywheel. Make sure the nut is not bottoming out and leaving the flywheel loose. The key is only for setting the initial timing of the flywheel to the crank. Once the nut is tight the key does basically nothing because the flywheel should be wedged onto the crank. If the key is shearing, something is preventing the flywheel from fitting down properly onto the taper of the crankshaft.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 09:42 PM   #6
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Good point. Forgot about the taper fit until you said that. Then memories of the nightmare it can be pulling those off flooded in
Old 04-01-2020, 07:46 PM   #7
buggyAl
Getting Wild

Just got everything resolved.

Grabbed another flywheel and actually lapped the flywheel onto the crank. Cleaned everything up and torqued it back together. Started up several times and runs well.

Thanks for the help

Tags
carryall, cc ds, club car, fe350d, kawasaki fe350
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car