lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-03-2021, 09:50 PM   #1
ffmedicmatt
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Default G1 Lift. Front end only

So I’m in the planning stage of front lift kit for the G1. I’ve got the Honda 400ex shocks on the back. I’ve scoured the BGW forum here and seen some ideas I’m going to start see what will work. I have a few questions for the knowledge people out there

1. The arms that connect to the steering column (whatever it is. That’s what I’m calling it). Do they need extended or will the connect with a lift. They seem like they may be short with a 4” lift.

2. I see there are two point that need lifted that are right near or close to each other. I’ve seen a number of different plans for DIY on here. Any preference on one or another? I’ve seen steel plates with holes in it and square tubing. It seems to me the tubing would be stronger but again that’s why I’m here asking.

3. Camber. Once 4” lift is obtained how much will the wheels need to be cambered. I’ve got 2” spacers on all 4 wheels. Planning on 12” wheels with 20” tires. I’ve trimmed the side rail and bumper back a bit to accommodate

Thanks.
ffmedicmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-03-2021, 10:05 PM   #2
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Re: G1 Lift. Front end only

I went a a totally different direction and installed an atv front end. The amount of work was about the same fabrication wise. The end result is a better riding and handling front suspension.

With that said, I like the square tubing style lift (aka Pachanga ) check out Pachanga's thread. Seems to be a stronger design plus you get a 2" reciever to mount a hook or a winch.

The biggest issue with the G1 front suspension is that it's a short single a arm design. Camber will always be the enemy because it causes very bad handling at higher speeds. With stock a arms you don't want too much travel, maybe 2-3". Too much travel and you'll get lots of bump steer and it'll be sketchy to drive.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 11:14 PM   #3
ffmedicmatt
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by slonomo View Post
I went a a totally different direction and installed an atv front end. The amount of work was about the same fabrication wise. The end result is a better riding and handling front suspension.

With that said, I like the square tubing style lift (aka Pachanga ) check out Pachanga's thread. Seems to be a stronger design plus you get a 2" reciever to mount a hook or a winch.

The biggest issue with the G1 front suspension is that it's a short single a arm design. Camber will always be the enemy because it causes very bad handling at higher speeds. With stock a arms you don't want too much travel, maybe 2-3". Too much travel and you'll get lots of bump steer and it'll be sketchy to drive.
Thanks Slo. I’ll check out Pachanga’s. I don’t think I remember seeing his so that will be another option I’m in to.

I don’t plan on going fast. I’ve got the Plowmans primary now and bigger wheels/tires on the way. I’m hoping to get mid 20’s MPH. I’ve got two small kids that will be riding on the back so I don’t need break neck speed. Just something a little better than 15-17 MPH.
Old 02-04-2021, 08:30 AM   #4
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Just remember, these carts were designed to go 12 mph on a golf course. The suspension design is not really one to handle more speed. Often times when an old golf cart gets lifted the handling gets worse. If done correctly is should handle the same.

My recommendation is to use the factory front shocks with the front suspension. They are actually good quality units. But don't fall into the bigger is better or more travel is better. For this cart it's not. Keep the suspension as designed, just with "spacers" to gain more height.

Also, your tire choice will also make a HUGE difference in ride and handling. A DOT radial tire will give you the best handling. For on road and mild off road use I like the Stinger tires. There are others. Most of the cheaper all terrain tires often vibrate and are "out of round" and handle really crappy, not to mention they wear really fast. A DOT rated tire will always be better in all of those categories.

I did what most people would do, bought a Jakes 6" kit and some all terrain tires. Rode like crap. Tried some atv shocks. Made it worse. Could never get it to handle well. In hindsight, the problem was the shocks and the tires. Steering parts are also something to look at. Old worn out tie rods and king pins will make a cart handle crazy. Look into your steering gear too, make sure it's nice and tight.
Old 02-05-2021, 05:41 AM   #5
Shadow3.0
Not Yet Wild

Heres how I did it
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210114_084144 (1).jpg (286.0 KB, 0 views)
Shadow3.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 05:45 AM   #6
Shadow3.0
Not Yet Wild

heres my drawings for brackets. worked perfect. Toe in has since been adjusted properly. Just a matter of adjusting tie rods.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf G1 LIFT KIT.pdf (42.5 KB, 0 views)
Shadow3.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 04:57 PM   #7
ffmedicmatt
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow3.0 View Post
heres my drawings for brackets. worked perfect. Toe in has since been adjusted properly. Just a matter of adjusting tie rods.
Dude. You win the internet. Solid. Thanks a ton. You have no idea.
Old 02-08-2021, 01:43 PM   #8
mikeasis
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow3.0 View Post
This should be shared on the G1 G3 Facebook page
mikeasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 03:01 PM   #9
mikeasis
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by slonomo View Post

Slo

Any idea where I can find Pachangas thread I searched under users but came up empty. Or is this a style of lift kit?
mikeasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 03:48 PM   #10
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeasis View Post
Slo

Any idea where I can find Pachangas thread I searched under users but came up empty. Or is this a style of lift kit?
https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=53719

https://buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=76545
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha