lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-27-2014, 03:45 PM   #1
LoudLowNslow
Not Yet Wild

Default how to make a g2 faster!?

Whats up everybody?
I need some advise on making my g2 faster!I got the cart recently, it came with a camper that i purchased at a campground. My family and I now have 4 sites at this campground and we are getting big into the carts as well!
Since i aquired the cart, i have done the following;
new ngk spark plug (# i got through searching the forum)
mobil1 syn 10w30 oil change
replaced the rubber band straps for the air box (two were missing!)
She runs good, but seems slow.
My stepfathers cart is a g1, and from a dig, they are about even. But the g1 will walk away from my g2 in top speed. Im not positive, but im fairly sure the g1 is all stock.
Anywho, so far ive ordered 12" wheels and some 22x11 sahara classic tires for my cart, they havent arrived yet. Next i will be ordering the 6" double a-arm lift through Jakes, probably next week.
I'd like to make this cart faster as well! Not just top speed, but also its ability to climb hills.
What can i do to not only get this cart to climb hills easier, but to get a higher top speed out of it? Any advise is much appreciated, thanks everybody!
-Paul
LoudLowNslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-27-2014, 04:18 PM   #2
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Re: how to make a g2 faster!?

Don't waste your time with the stock engine. I'd go with a clone engine. A stock clone from Vegas Carts puts out 20hp. It'll smoke a stocker. You can hop them up as far as 35hp with little effort, just some $$$.

The G1 was good for 25-30 mph stock. The G2/G9 would be around 20mph, maybe 25 mph if it was in top order. With a clone, with rev kit and no governor you are looking at 36 mph, but it will be screaming.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 09:27 PM   #3
jeff70
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Have you adjusted or bypassed the governor?, My G2 with stock engine is running right about 26 miles an hour on 22" tires, I could get more except for the rev limiter built into the g2, also call Plowmans and talk to them about options.
jeff70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 05:26 PM   #4
LoudLowNslow
Not Yet Wild

I'd love to go clone but my pockets aren't deep enough for that LOL. Just trying to see what I can do with the stocker. I haven't touched a governor on the g2 yet, but when I was doing the spark plug and air box hold downs I looked at the throttle assembly and it didn't appear to have a governor on it? Then again, I don't know what it's supposed to look like with one so I could be wrong.
Old 05-28-2014, 05:28 PM   #5
LoudLowNslow
Not Yet Wild

One of our carts, an ez-go, has a snowmobile engine installed and it is scary fast. Thing breaks the tires loose on dry pavement, it's wild. Problem with that cart is we don't think it's allowed at the campground because it's so loud(2stroke) and starts with a pull cord. Has forward and reverse but just way too loud.
Old 05-28-2014, 06:06 PM   #6
jeff70
Gone Wild
Yamaha

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-y...r-g16-g22.html

Read this thread, it is the same for the g2.
Old 05-28-2014, 06:22 PM   #7
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

On top of the rear end is the speed governor. There's a 10mm nut on a threaded rod. The further you turn the nut in, the faster the cart will go.
Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 07:15 PM   #8
LoudLowNslow
Not Yet Wild

I'll try threading in that nut! Thanks guys!
In regards to torque or speed springs or whatever, what should I get? The campground has a couple big hills so I'd like more torque, as well as top speed lol.
Old 05-28-2014, 07:45 PM   #9
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

I prefer the yamaha spring for the lifted G28 UMAX. Some of the aftermarket springs are too heavy, combined with the "cut sheave" that some people reccomend is a recipe for trouble if you ask me. Photos show how thin cut sheave is. Umax spring is about $12. Thats all i use for mine. (these pics are cut sheave + super heavy spring)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tmp_IMG_20140519_113628_0191509919160.jpg (157.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg tmp_IMG_20140519_113800_290681355169.jpg (163.2 KB, 0 views)
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 08:26 PM   #10
jeff70
Gone Wild
Yamaha

I am using the spring from cart parts plus (site sponsor) and so far I am happy with it. You could also call Plowmans ( another sponsor) and Talk to don.

I am taking my cart up to our family property for the first time this weekend, so I will report back on hill climbing. Our property is in the Uinta Mountains so there are plenty of hills the test it on.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha