lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-04-2017, 11:14 AM   #1
FreshFromFL
Not Yet Wild

Default Xct400pds- sometimes won't go after complete stop

Hey guys. I've got a txt pds with an Xct controller w/ a fan kit and a d&d motor. I have it setup to run 42v. Sometimes after a complete stop, I get no throttle response, except for some slight surging that doesn't move the cart. This usually happens after we catch a red light after cruising at full speed. I can always fix the problem quickly by turning the ignition off then back on, and it's like nothing ever happened.

Does anyone have any idea what might be going on?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
FreshFromFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-04-2017, 12:16 PM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Xct400pds- sometimes won't go after complete stop

Next time it happens, take a quick look at the LED on the XCT controller to see if it is flashing an error code.

Also, connecting a laptop and saving a data log while out and about will log the error(s).

The surging, but not moving sounds like the solenoid contacts aren't closing. The charge on the filter capacitors will tickle the motor, but not move the cart very far, if at all. (How far cart will move depends on tire height and some other factors)

Might be a sluggish pedal microswitch. The N.C. (Normally Closed) contacts are used and what closes them is a itty-bitty spring, so it doesn't take much gunk build up to make it intermittent, plus it weakens with age.

-----------
What motor you running and what is your tire height?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Microswitch- 600x750 with labels - edited.JPG (46.8 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by JohnnieB; 06-04-2017 at 12:17 PM.. Reason: added questions
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 12:49 PM   #3
FreshFromFL
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the quick reply. I'll check that switch first.

I usually don't have time to take a look at the error code, I'd be holding up the green light....but I can try to get the same response on a smaller road and check it out

I've got the ES 76-51 with 19" tires

Old 06-04-2017, 02:20 PM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

I reply to so many posts that I forget who has got what motor and the tire height, etc. But, I reviewed your previous post and found out your setup is basically the same as mine except for the tire height.

If you get a chance to do so, I'd love to see a data log from your cart. I'm curious about the armature amps during acceleration from a standstill with 19" tires vs my 17" tires. Mathematically, you get 11.8% more speed for any given RPM while I have 10.5% more torque, due to the 2" difference in tire height.

Zip the CSV file and it can be attached to a post.

---------
I have a lot of hills here and when I first installed a XCT400-PDS, I over-temped it a couple of times, but haven't since I installed the optional fan kit. Fortunately, when the cart was no-go I wasn't blocking traffic.

I also set the Max RPM to 8K to see how fast it would go on level ground with a 42V battery pack. The motor maxes out just under 7000RPM, which is about 28.5MPH on my 17" tires. I've now got the max RPM set to 6500, which gives me 26.5MPH, and that is plenty since 25MPH is the speed limit on most the roads I drive on.
Old 06-04-2017, 06:00 PM   #5
FreshFromFL
Not Yet Wild

Do I have to leave the laptop connected to the controller to save this data?

I'm considering going up to a 20.5" tire when I replace my current tires. They're probably gonna need replacement within the next year

Old 06-05-2017, 10:11 AM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFromFL View Post
1. Do I have to leave the laptop connected to the controller to save this data?

2. I'm considering going up to a 20.5" tire when I replace my current tires. They're probably gonna need replacement within the next year

1. Yes. You have to "Start" and "Stop" recording the data or it doesn't save the file. Attachment-1 is a print screen save from a really old version of Toolkit, but the latest version ought to be about the same.

Try it out on a short trip and open the xxxxxxxx.csv (Comma Separated Values) file with a spreadsheet program and you will see 42 columns of data with about 4 line entries per second when in continuous mode. Attachment-2 is the first 5 seconds of one of the first data logs I saved.

2. Theoretically, going from 19" tall tires to 20.5" tall tires will up the speed by 7.9% and decrease torque by 7.3%. If you are hitting the RPM limit set in the XCT with your 19" tires, you might see the full 7.9% increase in speed, but if the motor is reaching the max RPM for voltage applied, the actual speed increase will be a bit less than the theoretical increase.

Also, get tires with 20PSI or greater inflation pressure. (Low pressure tires take more torque to turn - so cart is slower)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Monitor Tab - data logging circled.jpg (183.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Raw data file.jpg (83.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 12-24-2017, 08:54 AM   #7
FreshFromFL
Not Yet Wild

So, I’ve recently replaced the batteries, installed a soc meter, have been breaking the batteries in correctly and I’m still seeing this issue.

I’ve reprogrammed the controller already, and I’m not quite sure what this issue could be. While the problem was occurring, I could still hear the solenoid click when I press the pedal, pack voltage was reading 44.1 at rest and 43.7 when pressing the pedal just getting the surging.

I had my daughters car seat in the front seat with me, so couldn’t check for any error codes at the moment.

A couple on/off cycles of the ignition and cycling the switch from fwd to rev and we were back running like nothing ever happened....[emoji848]

Old 12-24-2017, 09:09 AM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Go into the throttle settings and disable high pedal disable and see if that 'fixes' the problem
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 09:23 AM   #9
FreshFromFL
Not Yet Wild

I’ll give that a try. Thanks

Old 12-24-2017, 09:27 AM   #10
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFromFL View Post
I’ll give that a try. Thanks

Let me know if that does the trick.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO