lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-25-2017, 12:35 PM   #1
chvybeatsford
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default diagnosing problem

2004 Pds modified.
Now 48V
altrax XCT500PDS
FNK switch
Brand new Batts
Stock 36v motor
All new cables from scottyb

Battery reads 51v. Fresh of charge i can key on and start to move but its jumpy. Then stops completely. Same if starting in reverse. Some times i can key on and off and it may go. If it does go its limited to about 5mph. Going to hook up laptop this eve.

May 5 miles driven on this cart at low speeds. Didnt have seat installed till the day this started. So was scary going some what fast. It did drive fine for the first 5 miles. Ive checked all wires and all seem well.

Any Ideas on whatto check and how one can do that?
chvybeatsford is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-25-2017, 01:45 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Need help diagnosing problem

What is the (live) battery pack voltage reading when the cart is misbehaving.

Is the controller detuned to 400a controller specs for the stock motor.
Did you drive the 36v motor slow for 5 miles ?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 07:58 PM   #3
chvybeatsford
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Need help diagnosing problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
What is the (live) battery pack voltage reading when the cart is misbehaving.

Is the controller detuned to 400a controller specs for the stock motor.
Did you drive the 36v motor slow for 5 miles ?
Batter is reading 52 0 on volt meter.
Had some high speed runs but no more than 5 pulls.
Still on same set up u built when I ordered from ya.

Just updated alltrax software . Gonna do a data log. As of now it won't move at all and the solenoid does click.
Old 08-26-2017, 11:14 AM   #4
chvybeatsford
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: diagnosing problem

here is a log..
Attached Files
File Type: zip Monitor 8-25-17.zip (3.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 08-26-2017, 12:21 PM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Any particular reason why the speed sensor is not connected?????????

Battery voltage only dropped to 51.4 while pedal was pressed.

Motor Voltage averaged about 25V at 100% throttle and Max Motor Current was 3.9A.

Another BGW member with a PDS and XCT had roughly 1/2 of the battery pack voltage being applied to the motor at 100% throttle. That was corrected when he connected the speed sensor.

He was getting Motor currents in the 60A-70A range, so the 3.9A you are getting is a separate issue.

I suspect the problem is either excessive resistance in the high current cables, connections or contacts, or a bad motor.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 12:55 PM   #6
chvybeatsford
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
Any particular reason why the speed sensor is not connected?????????

Battery voltage only dropped to 51.4 while pedal was pressed.

Motor Voltage averaged about 25V at 100% throttle and Max Motor Current was 3.9A.

Another BGW member with a PDS and XCT had roughly 1/2 of the battery pack voltage being applied to the motor at 100% throttle. That was corrected when he connected the speed sensor.

He was getting Motor currents in the 60A-70A range, so the 3.9A you are getting is a separate issue.

I suspect the problem is either excessive resistance in the high current cables, connections or contacts, or a bad motor.
Speed sensor is connected. I'm guessing since no motor spinning that it won't read anything. All these logs we're done with cart on ground and received no movement. I'm also thinking the motor is bad. When I first got the cart running there was a break in speed sensor wire. But with that it did move just slow.. I have to drop money on motor and it not be motor.

What terminal do I use my meter on to insure the power is heading to the motor?
Old 08-26-2017, 01:43 PM   #7
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by chvybeatsford View Post
Speed sensor is connected. I'm guessing since no motor spinning that it won't read anything. All these logs we're done with cart on ground and received no movement. I'm also thinking the motor is bad. When I first got the cart running there was a break in speed sensor wire. But with that it did move just slow.. I have to drop money on motor and it not be motor.

What terminal do I use my meter on to insure the power is heading to the motor?
Oops, I wasn't aware that the motor wasn't spinning.

Connect your DVM between the A1 & A2 terminals on motor and you should get the same voltage as what the monitor screen shows for Motor Voltage.

The data log actually tells us that voltage is being applied to the Armature (they call it motor voltage), but it doesn't tell us if it is getting there.

-------
Disconnect the A1 & A2 cables and the F1 & F2 wires. Measure the resistance between the "A" studs on motor and between the "F" studs. The A studs out to be fairly low Ohms (about 5Ω or so) while the F studs will be a quite a bit higher (10Ω or more) Ideally, you should get no continuity between the A and F studs or either set of studs and the motor case, but carbon dust from the brushes will create some unwanted current paths, so you might measure 250kΩ or less.

Also, you can check the motor by connecting it according to the attached diagram.

-----
To verify sped sensor is connected, push the cart. If the run/tow switch is in run, it should beep at you. (Walkaway Safety.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Motor Test - Sepex.jpg (91.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 08-26-2017, 02:00 PM   #8
chvybeatsford
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
Oops, I wasn't aware that the motor wasn't spinning.

Connect your DVM between the A1 & A2 terminals on motor and you should get the same voltage as what the monitor screen shows for Motor Voltage.

The data log actually tells us that voltage is being applied to the Armature (they call it motor voltage), but it doesn't tell us if it is getting there.

-------
Disconnect the A1 & A2 cables and the F1 & F2 wires. Measure the resistance between the "A" studs on motor and between the "F" studs. The A studs out to be fairly low Ohms (about 5Ω or so) while the F studs will be a quite a bit higher (10Ω or more) Ideally, you should get no continuity between the A and F studs or either set of studs and the motor case, but carbon dust from the brushes will create some unwanted current paths, so you might measure 250kΩ or less.

Also, you can check the motor by connecting it according to the attached diagram.

-----
To verify sped sensor is connected, push the cart. If the run/tow switch is in run, it should beep at you. (Walkaway Safety.)
Thanks. Will try this hopefully in a few hours.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Old 08-26-2017, 03:39 PM   #9
chvybeatsford
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

A1 and A2 now change on ohm. As in not connected. No beep from meter showing continuity

F1 and F2 were settles to 1.3

Old 08-27-2017, 10:28 AM   #10
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by chvybeatsford View Post
A1 and A2 now change on ohm. As in not connected. No beep from meter showing continuity

F1 and F2 were settles to 1.3

No continuity on the armature studs could be brushes. Pull the motor and take a look.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO