lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-01-2017, 08:26 AM   #1
lowco
Not Yet Wild

Default Bad Wiring or 2 Bad FNR Switches???

I have a 1997 EZGO TXT Limo and I melted the new "heavy Duty" FNR switch after going less than a mile (on flat land) with a fairly heavy load (as far as our use goes - 2 adults and 4 kids plus some gear).

So I had the old FNR switch and installed that and during short test runs the wires were heating up at the switch again.

I then bypassed the switch by joining the wires using the studs on the switch to put the cart in permanent forward gear (had to do something for trick or treating). It did not heat up like before.

So my question is, do I just need to replace the switch or do I need to replace the wiring too? Logically it appears the problem was the switch but I would like feedback from those with more experience...I don't want to burn up another switch.

Also, I plan to get a new switch from Scotty so that I know it is actually heavy duty.

This forum has been a great resource for me. Thanks for all the previous and future help.
lowco is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-01-2017, 08:38 AM   #2
orangeman6
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Bad Wiring or 2 Bad FNR Switches???

I can’t help you with your question, but I would recommend the contactor on scotty’s Website. I haven’t heard of anyone having a problem with it and, as a bonus, you get rid of that lever. I don’t think it’s too much more than the hd f/r.
orangeman6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 08:39 AM   #3
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

lowco.....a few questions to better answer yours.

1. is the rest of your cart STOCK, or does it have an aftermarket controller?
2. what is the size of the cabling (large wires going to and from the F&R?
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 10:02 AM   #4
lowco
Not Yet Wild

The cart has a stock controller. The wiring is 2 AWG on all of the wires and 1 AWG for one wire (I ran out of 2 AWG).

Also, the motor was changed to a AMD 36v non-regen.
lowco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 11:09 AM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowco View Post
The cart has a stock controller. The wiring is 2 AWG on all of the wires and 1 AWG for one wire (I ran out of 2 AWG).

Also, the motor was changed to a AMD 36v non-regen.
These limo carts operate on the fringe of what the golf cart can do in stock form. When you change the motor or the workload you tip the scale so the stock components no longer deliver what is needed. In this case the new motor may be drawing additional amperage and the F&R has become the weak link. You can try my HD F&R but I would suggest the SW202 is better suited. Additionally the SW202 can be located close to the controller and motor, eliminating 30 ft of cable.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO