lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-19-2018, 08:53 AM   #1
SilverRXV
Not Yet Wild

Default Trojan vs Crown batteries???

Upgrading the batteries on my RXV to six 8 volt batteries. One of my local cart dealers sells Trojan and the other sells Crown. I’m trying to decide between six Trojan T-875 or 6 Crown CR 165. The Crown’s would be about $50 more(which isn’t a big deal if they are better). I hear they are both good but wanted advice on which one everybody would choose. That’s in advance.
SilverRXV is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-19-2018, 09:26 AM   #2
HiTechRedNeck
Gone Wild

Default Re: Trojan vs Crown batteries???

Trojan has a longer warranty.... but they do not honer it (it's your fault the battery failed) see various lawsuits.

crown is a good battery AND they honer warranty claims ... they have homered several for us... even a few questionable ones.
HiTechRedNeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 09:40 AM   #3
vartz04
Getting Wild

I would go with Crown. Heck mine are 2007 batteries and I have no idea how well they were taken care of but I still can cruise for about an hour on the cart. They are pretty much toast but I’ll buy them again if I can find a local seller
vartz04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 09:41 AM   #4
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiTechRedNeck View Post
Trojan has a longer warranty.... but they do not honer it (it's your fault the battery failed) see various lawsuits.......
The local retail/wholesale distributor (sells to the public, and distributor to the dealers) is easier to deal with than Ezgo and Yamaha for trojan battery warranty. The local distributor check date code, voltage, fluid levels and specific gravity, if date code checks out, and voltage/Sg indicates one or more bad cells, and fluid was good, it goes for warranty. It doesn't have to have pages of testing data (like OEMs require), No problems at all. They are so easy, I say you could easily slip abused batteries through under warranty. The OEMs are more strict in what qualifies as abuse that would void the battery warranty. The strict nature of the OEM "new vehicle warranties" is of little consequence to this conversation, as far as I know (Yamaha, Ezgo, garia) the oems dont install Crowns on the assembly line anyway, not sure if club car is...

Besides, should anyone have to warranty abused batteries.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 12:19 PM   #5
dvmartin
Getting Wild

I've installed four sets of Crown 235 (6 volt) in our carts and have been very pleased with them. I found them lower priced than than the Trojan T105's.
dvmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 12:32 PM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverRXV View Post
Upgrading the batteries on my RXV to six 8 volt batteries. One of my local cart dealers sells Trojan and the other sells Crown. I’m trying to decide between six Trojan T-875 or 6 Crown CR 165. The Crown’s would be about $50 more(which isn’t a big deal if they are better). I hear they are both good but wanted advice on which one everybody would choose. That’s in advance.
The T875 is a 170 amp hr battery and the CR165 is well 165 amp hour. Go for the higher amp hour. In my experience both a re too small for anything but the lightest use with frequent charges.
I would suggest you talk with the Crown dealer about a CR190 battery and see if the budget will allow a bigger battery.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 03:06 PM   #7
vartz04
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
The T875 is a 170 amp hr battery and the CR165 is well 165 amp hour. Go for the higher amp hour. In my experience both a re too small for anything but the lightest use with frequent charges.

I would suggest you talk with the Crown dealer about a CR190 battery and see if the budget will allow a bigger battery.

Can you elaborate? How far do you need to go on a charge?
vartz04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 04:18 PM   #8
SilverRXV
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the reply’s! As far as distance....my cart is only used for riding around my neighborhood which is very flat with 2-4 people. Maybe I can ask the question better. My cart is a 2009 RXV with a 6 inch lift, 14 inch wheels and 23 inch tires. Its speed has been increased (I assume it was put into “freedom mode” based off of what I’ve read) because it will run about 28mph and accelerates much faster than my buddy who has a new club car lifted the same but had a plum quick motor installed) I bought it used with old batteries so I have NO CLUE how far I would be able to ride with the above listed batteries because the batteries it came with we already sluggish after short rides, (less than 5 miles). So with my two options I listed above, how many miles would I safely be able to ride per trip on the cart? I know there are batteries that I could buy with more amp hours but I’m actually already upgrading by getting the options I’ve listed because the cart currently has four twelve volt batteries. Thanks again for everybody’s opinions!
SilverRXV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 06:36 PM   #9
joe100
Gone Wild

Club Car

I'll say they are both good but I prefer the USA batteries, I believe the Trojans are made in Mexico Not sure about the Crown's?
joe100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 09:11 PM   #10
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

You are right - going from 12v to 8v batteries will increase run time because the 8s hold more amperage. Run time when the batteries mature should be about 100 minutes. If your speed is 15mph you should go 22.5 miles per charge. Of course your mileage may vary
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO