lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-19-2018, 09:27 PM   #11
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: Trojan vs Crown batteries???

I have not seen great life (nor way substandard life, just average) from US Batts. But they always seem to be a huge mess. Juice all over the batteries, corrosion coming from under all the battery terminals (that's really hard to eliminate). The huge mess I consistently see is a big turn-off to me. I, personally would never buy the US batteries. Some swear by the crowns, but I can't vouch for them, cause I don't know. I totally agree with the theory of "buy the highest AH capacity you can afford" theory. Just be sure to set your charger to the correct mode for the batteries.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-20-2018, 12:30 AM   #12
SilverRXV
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the advice and insight Scottyb, and cgtech, and everybody else! I do appreciate it. I guess I’ll just have to bother everybody with the question of how to break my batteries in once I get my new ones this week or next.
SilverRXV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 01:30 AM   #13
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Try to only take them down 20% each trip in their early life (not "down to 20% left). And always recharge after that use. I would suggest this for 50 cycles, I understand this seems pretty unreasonable. It's suggested here, and I have seen charts from battery people inside the industry who sent me charts to back it up (it actually takes longer, but who is gonna wait that long). They slowly build up to their best "plateau" in their early life, stay at that plateau for years, then slowly decline. Lead batteries don't need to be drawn down to empty during each use, they actually hate that. I'v e seen batteries still living at the top of that mesa after 5 years, it amazes me when I see 5 year old batteries test better than 1.5 year batteries. (Most 5 year batteries are on the downward slope of the mesa). It's all about care and use characteristics. If you use them for 18 holes 5 days a week, they probably won't be 7 year batteries, no what brand they are. If you use them moderately, and your charger, and your care is good, you might be one of those "I got 8 years last time" guys. 10 year old batteries are a myth, it might do perfectly well to drive it into the shop so I don't have to push it, but it won't take you far unless "made it to the mail box and back" was far enough. I have been told I was wrong, but I never took any trips to prove those claims. I also have seen some badly abused batteries test much better than I expected, but the exception is not what anyone should count on.. ( just had a 2.5 year old set so dead the charger wouldn't even start hit a 90 minute score after a extensive recharge regimen, 90 min is 150% of the "minimum passing score"). Those described batteries will never live the "8 year life", but they will likely serve the customers needs for a year or 2 even after the bad abuse. Lead batteries are funny, they are actually robust to some abuse (but overall lifespan will be shortened). Your care, and use will determine how good that crummy-but-robust old technology will serve you.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 05:30 AM   #14
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Excelent post. Very informative.

However, when I was a newbie, I bought a 1998 Series from a neighbor. He told me to use it for several days before initiating a charge. NiCad mindset. Anyway, in my usage - 4 subdividions with up and down hills - they lasted 9 years. While performance was dinished, my batts never left me stranded (but my stock solenoid did)..

They were Exides.

My current T-105s are November K1, and I can't tell the difference between when they were broken in and today. Granted, my hills may not be as challenging as others'. But I keep the throttle to the floor (pedal to the medal) or the brake to the floor. I think I'm a battery's worst nightmare, but I believe in getting my money's worth.

DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO