lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-23-2009, 10:06 AM   #11
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: stuck brake drum

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZ-GOnewild View Post
A safer aproach is to rent a 3 prong pulley puller that can reach around the outside of the drum.

Get it on there and tighten the center bolt quite a bit. Now hit the bolt with a 2-3 pound sledge hammer and it should pop right off. This has worked everytime for me and it's a lot safer method in my opinion.

Keep us posted

scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-23-2009, 06:34 PM   #12
mrtint
Not Yet Wild

Hey this board is AWESOME!!! Didn't think I would get so much advise in just a day. THANKS. I did buy a diamond blade to cut the drum off today. Just for the heck of it I'm going to try banging on the bolt a couple of times with the puller on. I cant imagine I didn't try this because I banged everything else but I don't recall hitting the bolt itself. I am using a 10lbs slide hammer. One thing I didn't mention is it looks like the golf course may have had the same problem because you could see were a pull bolt had been tightened in the center of the axle before. I guess they either never got it off or didn't use the anti seizing grease after they did? I have to say when I installed the other side I only greased the spines with the spray white lithium grease? Is that good or should I remove and use something else?
Also sound like a lot of people have smashed some fingers here? I guess I have no excuse if I do. Thanks OLD MECH for the eye protection warning. I'm usually pretty good with that kind of thing when I'm grinding but I would have to say sometimes I only remember after some hot sparks bounce off my face.
Thanks for the help!!
I will let you guys know as soon as it comes off!!!!
mrtint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 07:11 PM   #13
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtint View Post
Hey this board is AWESOME!!! Didn't think I would get so much advise in just a day. THANKS. I did buy a diamond blade to cut the drum off today. Just for the heck of it I'm going to try banging on the bolt a couple of times with the puller on. I cant imagine I didn't try this because I banged everything else but I don't recall hitting the bolt itself. I am using a 10lbs slide hammer. One thing I didn't mention is it looks like the golf course may have had the same problem because you could see were a pull bolt had been tightened in the center of the axle before. I guess they either never got it off or didn't use the anti seizing grease after they did? I have to say when I installed the other side I only greased the spines with the spray white lithium grease? Is that good or should I remove and use something else?
Also sound like a lot of people have smashed some fingers here? I guess I have no excuse if I do. Thanks OLD MECH for the eye protection warning. I'm usually pretty good with that kind of thing when I'm grinding but I would have to say sometimes I only remember after some hot sparks bounce off my face.
Thanks for the help!!
I will let you guys know as soon as it comes off!!!!
WARNING !!! Check the manufacture recommendations before you use diamond blade on steel ..... I have always used diamond on masonry and abrasives on steel ????
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 08:36 AM   #14
DocEldridge
Not Yet Wild

Ok. I have a 96 EZGO that I tried to get the brake drum off but wouldn't budge. Where is the "big nut holding drum on" mentioned in #3 on the first post? I took the wheel off and disconnected the brake line but no love after that and I don't see any big nut except me.
DocEldridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 10:52 AM   #15
rusty1
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

on that year model it is probably under s dust cover right in the middle of the hub
rusty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 10:28 AM   #16
tb420
Not Yet Wild

I can't get EITHER of mine off. I removed the wheel, pin, castle nut, washer, and attached ring and wd40'd it all. One side does not budge and I have banged the crap out of it. The other side moves but is getting caught up on something. I can pull it out 1/8 inch and push it back in. feels like it hits something. It moves independent of the hub, but with the lug bolts. Is there something else that I am supposed to loosen or remove? I figured if I got one side off, I would at least be able to see what I was up against on the other. After putting it all back together, the grindy side no longer brakes at all, so I'm down to just one now until I can get it all off.
tb420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 11:39 AM   #17
sunoco
STEALTH 4X4

Club Car

Just beat itttttttt, beat ittttttttt
sunoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 12:50 PM   #18
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Download all three manuals. There's a whole chapter on brakes.

Owner's, Parts, and Service Manuals:
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...g-manuals.html

Your drum is hanging on the shoes. The shoes self-adjust, and they wear a groove in the drum. The groove doesn't go all the way to the edge of the drum, so there's a ridge at the edge.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 01:41 PM   #19
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

well I am about to do a brake job on my cart, and I hope I don't run into the same problem. the original ower of the car had it on the beach a lot....so the hubs could be rusted on, I guess I will see tomorrow once I get started.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 11:04 PM   #20
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

well I jacked up the cart and took the wheels off......its going to be OK, I am betting a good adjustment is all that its going to take. Looking through the hole in the drum, the shoes/springs/shoe retainers look new, still have paint on them. Now I just need to figure out why they aren't auto adjusting.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO