lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-19-2020, 01:52 PM   #11
PearlPack
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Bad Solenoid?

Well...it's not the MCOR as I just put in a new one and the lunging/jerking is still there. The solenoid is clicking. Guess I will replace it with a HD one. Is it reasonable to think the 2g wires running through a stock solenoid would cause it to fail?

I put my voltmeter on the two small terminals after unplugging the wires to them. Nothing.
PearlPack is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-19-2020, 05:16 PM   #12
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by PearlPack View Post
-snip-
Is it reasonable to think the 2g wires running through a stock solenoid would cause it to fail? Nope

I put my voltmeter on the two small terminals after unplugging the wires to them. Nothing.That is correct, you would get nothing. The 2 wires you disconnected should yield pack voltage when tested with the cart in the "Forward Operating" position.
See above.

Did you try tapping on the solenoid when it was doing this? And you can bypass the solenoid to make certain it is the problem.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 08:24 PM   #13
PearlPack
Getting Wild
Club Car

Where do I tap it?
Old 03-19-2020, 09:37 PM   #14
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Quote:
Where do I tap it?
On the side of the housing. Use a wooden mallet like Nole said. If you don't have one use a piece of 2X2 or something similar.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 10:24 AM   #15
PearlPack
Getting Wild
Club Car

I totally removed my solenoid and did an ohm test on the big terminals. It read 245. Does this tell me anything?
Old 03-23-2020, 12:18 PM   #16
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
It read 245
Did you remove the precharge resistor? If you did the solenoid is bad.
WalterM6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 12:28 PM   #17
PearlPack
Getting Wild
Club Car

No I did not. I just did and got nothing.
Old 03-25-2020, 12:17 PM   #18
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Quote:
No I did not. I just did and got nothing.
And you would not have. The Ohms test is more for the small posts (activation coil)

Bench test it. Connect 48+ and 48- to the two (2) small pasts and see if it activates. If it does, then do a continuity test across the 2 large posts while it is activated and you should get a "Beep".
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 09:23 AM   #19
PearlPack
Getting Wild
Club Car

So here is what I hope will be a final update. Thanks to all of those that have chimed in to help.

To review, my cart started lunging real bad as I pressed on the accelerator. Almost like someone was hitting the brakes while I was at speed. So bad that I had to almost crawl back to my beach house a few weeks ago.

Last week, I bought a new MCOR4 and installed. No change.

Thinking it might be the solenoid, I bought a new HD solenoid and installed this morning. Here is where things get weird. As I pulled out into the driveway and down my road slowly, it started to lunge again. Now I'm pissed. However, I kept on driving and over the next few minutes it happened less and less.

So then I kept on driving around my circle which is .5 miles around. The first few laps it happened maybe 3 times total. After a few laps more, it happened maybe once. Then after a few more it stopped completely. I ran the hell out of it too just to see if it would do it again.

So...what in the name of Sir Isaac H. Newton is going on? Does my cart have CoronaVirus?
Old 03-27-2020, 03:09 PM   #20
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

Check your connections on the solenoid. Make sure you didn't forget to tighten one.
WalterM6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car