lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-27-2011, 07:27 PM   #1
Shoeman
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default Headlights,taillights and Brake lights Oh MY!

Trying to hook up my headlights, taillights and brake lights. I have the light assembly that is for my club car ds 48v series cart. I had them hooked up to a reducer and then the way that the light installation kit came with but after reading some of the posts on here I'm afraid that I might be destroying my batteries. Is there someone that can help me make sure I'm good to go. Thanks My reducer looks long and skinny w/ one wire on one end that is black and the wire on the other end splits off into 2 smaller wires. I don't know if this help if not I will try to get pics. Thanks
Shoeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-27-2011, 08:29 PM   #2
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

Default Re: Headlights,taillights and Brake lights Oh MY!

if the reducer is working you should be ok.......its using the whole pack for the lights better than just 2 batteries......no other way to go other than a separate 12 volt battery somewhere................................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 09:29 PM   #3
Shoeman
Getting Wild
Club Car

i guess i was worried that I hooked up the reducer wrong. Is there a way to hook it up wrong? I got new batteries and want to keep these going for a long time. Just making sure I hooked up reducer the correct way. I had these hooked up before and they worked but don't know if it was correct. followed the directions to a T but seeing some of the problems on here making me wonder.

I also noticed on this site that someone had a reducer burn up and start a fire. What kind of switch can I hook up to it when not in use? Or is this a big deal? Thanks for the info.
Old 07-28-2011, 01:16 AM   #4
sonicj
Gone Wild

Club Car

as long as the switch is capable of handling the current at the voltage you are switching (say 3a @ 48V) it will be ok. most switches do not list specs for 48V, so you kinda have to infer from the values listed.

fuses prevent fires! if something goes badly wrong, chances are, a properly sized fuse will blow before the device gets a chance to start shooting flames.
-sj
sonicj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 09:03 AM   #5
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

if you can post some pics of how you wired it up......every reducer is a bit different so we might be able to tell from some pics.........................
Old 07-28-2011, 09:27 AM   #6
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Its more costly but I use another 48 volt solenoid ( with proper diode ) hooked to key switch so power is only on to voltage reducer when key is on. I use the same setup for my extra 12 volt battery to keep from running battery down ( wife cant seem to remember a switch ) SOOO????
I will only use a full pack reducer ( 48 volts ) to 12 volts to conserve the 2 batterys used on 16 volts reduced to 12 volts.
OLD MEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 09:24 PM   #7
Shoeman
Getting Wild
Club Car

Mine is a 16 to 12v. I only hook up to the last 2 batteries so I guess i'll have to find another reducer. thanks
Old 07-29-2011, 07:08 AM   #8
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

i would get a 48 to 12 that way the pack is balanced.......a 16 to 12 reducer is sorta like low cal chocholate milk.....whats the sense your still drawing on 2 batteries............i don,t drink choc. milk cause i want to diet.....................lol...................... ......
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car