lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-03-2011, 09:53 PM   #1
Bighig
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default 48 volts down to 16 volts

I have auto cat eye lights for the front they are wired using 8 volts .how do i change it to 16 volts . at eight volts the lights burn real dim many thanks
Bighig is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-04-2011, 09:11 AM   #2
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 48 volts down to 16 volts

You didnt say what voltage you have for EACH CART BATTERY ( 6 volt=3 water fills-8 volt= 4 water fills -12 volt= 6 water fills ) as most 48 volt carts have either 8 volt or 12 volt batterys? It seems strange that your lights are 8 volt as most every thing in the auto line is 12 volts that would have the dim light output as you indicated.
If you have 12 volt bulbs with 8 volt batterys you should get a voltage reducer from pack voltage ( 48 ) down to 12 volts or better yet get an extra small battery ( I use a handicap scooter battery #12350 sealed battery that is cheaper than reducer ) as a seperate power sourse for all accessories.
OLD MEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 09:17 AM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Any two 8v batteries connected in series will produce 16v

Any significant draw which lowers the voltage in one or more batteries in the pack may cause an imbalance which can result in harm to the entire pack during the recharge cycle...
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 03:10 PM   #4
Bighig
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

my battries are 8 volt .the lights are 12 volt .when I got the cart it was wired to one 8 volt .the guy at the cart shop said i could wire it to 16 volt an it would be fine .I have thought of your idea about the extra battery can A radio be hooked up also with the lights .many thanks
Old 09-04-2011, 03:24 PM   #5
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

I find that 12 volt lights will work on 16 volts but a with much shorter life. Other electronic equipment like players and radio's are much more sensative and can be very expensive to replace after burning out?
Old 09-04-2011, 03:28 PM   #6
Bighig
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

you said you put an extra scooter battery .I was wanting to know if that battrey would power a radio an a few lights
Old 09-04-2011, 03:40 PM   #7
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

I ran 2=55 watt headlights ( 5 amps each ), tail lights, turn signals, brake lights, ogaha horn ( 10 amps ), 2=55 watt running lights ( 5 amps each ), stereo, dash lights BEFORE switching to LED replacements in all lights as a test for a neighbor.
I dont use my cart too much now at night but even at that I never needed to charge battery more than twice a month? ( I use a marine dash mounted power 25 amp outlet w/ adapter to charger )
NOTE I dont recommend winch with this battery.
Old 09-04-2011, 04:09 PM   #8
Bighig
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Many thanks thats what I needed to know.thanks for you time.
Old 09-04-2011, 08:50 PM   #9
Bighig
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Old Mec where did you mount the scooter battery .
Old 09-05-2011, 08:03 AM   #10
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

I mounted mine in several locations at first ( passenger glove box, in golf bag area ) before settling on mounting over front suspension. It sits in front of the Delta Shock and Gear support and on top of the front body mount to frame ( this did require making a small plate to extend lower front body mount forward about 1", and another hooked to delta shock plate above delta "A" arm mounts. I used a 1/2" plywood that I mount the battery, 48 volt extra solenoid, 30 amp fuse unit for a nice compact unit.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car