lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-20-2013, 08:12 PM   #1
virtualy
Not Yet Wild

Default Oh boy...here we go

Been looking for a cart since, I don't know...last fall. Finally bought what I thought was a good one today. However, after getting it home and looking it over more closely, I have some concerns.

2008 TXT/PDS

Right rear tire is worn at both edges, about an inch on both sides, with good tread in the middle. All other tires are fine and display little wear. ??

More concerning, I failed to take a VOM with me and find now that each battery is severely discharged, ranging 5.77-5.78 V. They are Trojan T-105s with adequate water levels. They are labelled J1, which means they were manufactured October, 2011 - yes?

T105s.jpg

I got an EZGO PowerWise-QE charger with the cart. I have plugged it into the charge port, expecting to run it all night, or until it shuts itself off. The charger displays a green light, blinking once a second, which is as expected (batteries < 80% charged).

How badly off am I?
virtualy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-20-2013, 08:23 PM   #2
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Default Re: Oh boy...here we go

The Trojan labels are consistent with 2011 manufacture. The rear tire may be flat, keep an eye on the air pressures for a few weeks. Also, the pack voltage may be too low for the charger to safely engage. If you have an automotive 12v charger you can charge two batteries at a time for a few hours and see if the voltages rise above 6.0v. That should be plenty of voltage to allow the charger to engage.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 08:42 PM   #3
sunoco
STEALTH 4X4

Club Car

If all batts are 5.7xx then 34v should be plenty for charger. Just let it go. Check charger in the morning and see if its solid, or if its going red. Post results
sunoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 04:40 AM   #4
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Ask the previous owner if he moved the front tires to the rear.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 09:15 AM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

The tread wear pattern on the R-R tire is a classic sign of under-inflation.

My cart came from a golf course and they apparent had a stack of tires that they installed when a cart had a tire problem, so I got it with four Carlisle Links tires of varying age and wear, two of which had slow leaks. Of course, those were the two tires with the best tread.

I used the dealer locator to find local tire stores that were Carlisle dealers and found one less than five miles from my place that would get me what I wanted and install them on my existing rims for a very reasonable price. (I wanted to stick with more or less stock height tires. )
http://www.carlisletransportationpro.../dealer-search

---------
The T-105 batteries it came with were date coded "L9", so the were only about 18 months old when I got them, but would only take about an 85% charge.

After repeatedly recharging them with little or no discharging between charges, I got them up to about 95% and after switching from a Powerwise-II to a charger that goes into float charge after the regular charge cycle completes, they went up into the 99% - 100% range.

Basically, EZGO considers the Powerwise-QE as a disposable charger (Non-repairable), so when it goes, replace it with something like this: http://www.cartsunlimited.net/48v_Battery_Charger.html

-----------
The three .pdf file near the top of this post from the stickies are the Owner, the Service and the Parts manuals for your cart. http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...g-manuals.html

---------------
Of course, I'm biased, but you have a cart that has a lot of potential and is fine as is, despite a couple minor issues. (Tires and Battery charger)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 09:29 AM   #6
sunoco
STEALTH 4X4

Club Car

To me, the QE chargers are boat anchors once they crap out. FSIP is rebuilding them now though.
sunoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 12:37 PM   #7
virtualy
Not Yet Wild

Thank you all so much for the quick replies.

You are correct - the tire was deflated. Amazingly robust, no sag in an essentially flat tire. I've re-inflated to 22# and will monitor it for a slow (or fast) leak. BTW, I really doubt the previous owner rotated the tires. She seemed fairly clueless, claiming to have never noticed the bare tire and couldn't remember the last time she charged the batteries.

The batteries are now 6.42-6.44 V after sitting on the charger all night. I was pleased to see the solid green light on the charger this morning.

JohnnyB, thanks for the links. I'm wondering about the best regimen for bringing my batteries back to a health. Actually, they may be alright, though I don't know how long they've sat discharged. Given the nature of the cart's current mission I will be able to recharge frequently, after minimal discharge. I'm just running it up and down a hill, not more than 300 yards/trip.

Which brings me to my newest concern. The cart charges up the hill, I'm very relieved to report. I was concerned that the cart might not be able to handle the grade. However, coming downhill requires a lot of pressure on the brake pedal to maintain a reasonable speed. At the steepest part, one of the back tires locks and slides. The cart is entirely stock, with stock tires and brakes. I don't know if aftermarket items (more radical tread pattern, disc brakes) would improve the braking.

Finally, I bought this cart to carry materiel up the hill. I've been moving yards of compost, mulch, dirt and gravel by wheelbarrow and it's been exhausting. I need a cargo bed. I'm drawn to the rigid plastic beds for several reasons but I see none offered by this site's sponsors. I have found beds offered by these vendors:
Buggies Unlimited
Golf Cart Trader
MikesMotorToys
Has anyone had a good experience with any of these vendors? Have I missed a plastic bed offered by a site sponsor?

Thanks, as always, for your collective wisdom.
Old 06-21-2013, 06:37 PM   #8
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by virtualy View Post
Which brings me to my newest concern. The cart charges up the hill, I'm very relieved to report. I was concerned that the cart might not be able to handle the grade. However, coming downhill requires a lot of pressure on the brake pedal to maintain a reasonable speed. At the steepest part, one of the back tires locks and slides. The cart is entirely stock, with stock tires and brakes. I don't know if aftermarket items (more radical tread pattern, disc brakes) would improve the braking.
Try the Mild Hill or Steep Hill PDS modes. The regenerative braking will keep the cart speed down to about 15MPH or 13MPH respectively while going down hills. (Of course the top speed will be less also - The PDS controller limits motor RPM to about 3250, 3500 or 4400 depending on which mode it is in.
Attached is a list of the four PDS modes, their speed range and the amount of regen braking.
Also, here is a State of Charge chart. The voltages given are taken after the batteries have rested for 12 hours.

Actually, it might keep the speed down to 8MPH. It depends on the steepness of the incline.
(The regen braking shuts off when cart speed is under 8MPH.)

---------
Call the site sponsors and ask if you don't see what you want listed. They will steer you in the right direction.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PDS Mode speed-regen level.JPG (18.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg JohnnieB's SoC Chart.JPG (66.2 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 08:46 PM   #9
crash test dummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by virtualy View Post
I need a cargo bed. I'm drawn to the rigid plastic beds for several reasons but I see none offered by this site's sponsors.
Has anyone had a good experience with any of these vendors? Have I missed a plastic bed offered by a site sponsor?
Golf Cart King

Cargo Caddie Lightweight Utility Bed$139.99

http://www.golfcartking.com/Cargo-Ca...p/acc-cc01.htm
Old 06-21-2013, 11:26 PM   #10
virtualy
Not Yet Wild

Could be wrong but that looks like it sits on a rear flip seat, which I don't have.

EZGO-Golf-Cart-on-stone-pathway.jpg

Thanks for the thought.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO