lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-02-2013, 07:23 PM   #1
dahur
Getting Wild

Default My first new set of batteries

Put them in this morning, and they're still on the charger. Old ones lasted 5 years, but I've only had the cart for 1 1/2 years so I don't know how they were maintained before. I never took them below 80%. When the current heat wave hit, their health plummeted fast.
I paid $133 each for the six T-105's. They sure look good sitting in there. The J-bolts were so corroded, I broke both of them taking the hold down off.
The tray was full of green gunk. Sprayed it off, and wire brushed, then painted.
Lots better now. New J-bolts are on the way.

I wish there was a way to keep the batteries cooler. I know this 100 degree stuff we've been having hurts them.
dahur is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-02-2013, 07:34 PM   #2
sunoco
STEALTH 4X4

Club Car

Default Re: My first new set of batteries

Holy smokes 133 each. The price differences are so crazy around the country. I'm in GA and T-105s run $88.

You could do some sort of fan system with some computer fans to circulate the air or something similar
sunoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:26 PM   #3
shaffer88
Gone Wild

Really 88 for 105 ---t875 cheapest is 115 I have found
shaffer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 08:05 AM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahur View Post
................I wish there was a way to keep the batteries cooler. I know this 100 degree stuff we've been having hurts them.
The good news is that you will have greater storage capacity and performance.
The bad news is that the batteries won't last as long.

Short of some form of refrigeration or evaporative cooling, the electrolyte and plate temperatures will eventually reach the ambient temperature of the air that surround the battery case. The batteries have considerable thermal mass, so the don't heat up or cool down quickly and lag changes in the air temperature by hours.

Blowing air across the battery pack will speed up how fast the electrolyte and plates acclimate to the air surrounding the case, which could be good or could be bad, depending if the air was cooler than the batteries or if the batteries were cooler than the air. However, the battery compartment is trapped airspace and the air temperature inside it and can climb above the air temperature surrounding the cart itself, so opening the battery compartment or moving fresh air through it could help.

If possible, only charge at night and keep the battery compartment open at night. Try not to park cart in the sun and open the battery compartment slightly when parked to let the hottest air escape.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 10:20 AM   #5
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

If you had a way to cool them down before taking it out, such as draping towels/rags over them, then pouring ice water on them. Don't let the rags touch the terminals. Water is a good insulator, but tap water has chlorine and other dissolved solids that improve conductivity. Maybe shove ice between the batteries, and reapply as it melts. A 120 volt fan will help cool them as long as they're wet. Remove rags before driving. As mentioned above, if you can cool them down before riding, they should stay cool for quite some time. This is the best you can do, unless you want to get fancy and use Peltier Junctions.

I was gonna mention opening the battery compartment while resting, but JohnnyB beat me to it. My motor puts out a good bit of heat, which is probably dissipated while driving, but may increase battery compartment temps while parked.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 10:47 AM   #6
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

this makes me want to Air Condition the garage.......lol
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 11:00 AM   #7
dahur
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post

If possible, only charge at night and keep the battery compartment open at night. Try not to park cart in the sun and open the battery compartment slightly when parked to let the hottest air escape.

Good advice...thanks. That's what I'll do.
Old 07-11-2013, 11:44 AM   #8
dahur
Getting Wild

Well trying to get these batteries down to 75% ten times for the break in, has been a challenge.
I put them in ten days ago, charged it up, and next day it was sitting on 38.2. I had other stuff to do that day so the next morning I got up and it was still sitting on 38.2. Drove it 3x around the block (3 3/4 miles), hauled water around the yard for 45 minutes. And two hours later it was sitting on 38.1
At the rate I use it, it'll take about a week to get it down to 75%.

I charged it a 2nd time 3 days ago, have put maybe 1/2 hour on it, and it's sitting on 38.0 right now.

Should I keep using it until I get it down to 75% before charging, even if that takes awhile..? I think I read on here that the rule is after 15 minutes of use, put it on the charger. But is that after the break in period..?
Old 07-11-2013, 01:50 PM   #9
thechevyman
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

I'm waiting to hear the answer for this one since I'm about to buy batteries.

Whats more important? Draining to 75% for proper break in even if it takes a week or two between charges. Or keeping them charged after normal use.
thechevyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 03:47 PM   #10
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Cart batteries should not sit in a partially discharged state any longer than possible, or practical.
Anything less than 100% SoC is partially discharged.

The 75% SoC is the lowest the batteries should be discharged to during break-in, rather than a recharge point.
Recharge them after each significant use, or every night.

However, they should be discharged more than 10% (90% SoC) several times during break-in and few times down to 80% SoC or 75%, SoC, but in one day rather than over several days.

The 75% Soc is often referred to because many people want to find out how far they can go with their new batteries and drive the cart until it starts slowing down and have to creep home with their new batteries at 50% Soc or less.

If you normally drive your cart 10-15 miles a day, you need to limit yourself the the 75% SoC rule.
If you only make a few short trips each day, you may want to take a few longer trips to discharge the batteries more than you usually do.

Basically, you want to stay at 75% SoC or above during the break in period, but if you don't normally discharge down that far, add some longer trips so you will discharge down closer to 75% Soc.

-----------
I've got a set of seven 245AH batteries that have been on float charge while awaiting installation.
My estimated range is 30+ miles, so I'm going to take several 10+ mile trips and a few 20+ mile trips while breaking them in, but most of my trips will be 5 miles or less and the batteries will be on charge or float charge when I'm not actually driving the cart, unless I am fairly certain I'll be using the cart again that day, then it will sit close to the back porch (so I don't have to walk as far. )

Note: I have a dash mounted DVM type battery meter, so I know when to head back towards the charger.

Bottom line: You want to discharge the batteries some, but not too much.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO