lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-27-2013, 07:44 AM   #1
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default dumb question on trailer leaf springs in an EZGO

My brother in law bought a late 90's electric (36v I think) EZGO, lifted, fancy wheels, cool paint, rear seat all were done.

The drivers side leans down. I looked and the rear passenger spring is completely de-arched. It is basically flat. The driver's rear spring is actually slightly negative arch. I told him he needed to replace both springs. He thinks it's just his shocks.

Anyway, Northern Tool has 1500lb and 1000lb trailer leaf springs in 27.5 inch lengths for about half of what it'd cost for the EZGO springs. So, if you were to get a set for your electric would you get the 1500lb (3000lb for the pair) or 1000lb (2000lb for the pair)?

Also, is this going to kill his ride quality? Has anybody here actually done this swap?
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-27-2013, 08:08 AM   #2
bokeasmowl
friends call me Boke

Yamaha

Default Re: dumb question on trailer leaf springs in an EZGO

I put 1500 lb. trailer rear leafs on my big offroad cart that I found at Agri-Supply. They were like $13 apiece. It did really stiffen up the rear but it wasn't unbearable. I didn't ride on the back seat anyway and my Pitbull never complained.

Get the heavier ones and if the ride is too stiff he can always take out one of the leafs.
bokeasmowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 08:38 AM   #3
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsonj View Post
I told him he needed to replace both springs. He thinks it's just his shocks.
He is sadly mistaken. Springs support the weight of the cart, the shocks merely dampen the inherent bounce of the springs.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 07:56 AM   #4
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks Boke and Gorno!

I will see bro-in-law today and pass along the news. $13 a piece sounds like a price even he can't complain about...
Old 07-29-2013, 06:25 AM   #5
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

He bought the 1500 lb springs at Northern Tool. I took out the third (shortest) leaf on them so I would guess they are closer to 1000 lb springs now. His cart sits nice and it lifted it 2+ inches. The ride is a little firmer, but that would be expected compared to the sag that was in his old springs.

The stock bushings wouldn't work and no bushings at the auto parts store either. So, a little creativity with some fuel hose and we created some... The bushing is only on the bottom side of the bolt, where it would get the most pressure. But it's in there snug and the pressure side is where it'd get the most wear, so this should do the trick.

He is happy with it now. Thanks Boke and Gorno!
Old 07-29-2013, 11:59 AM   #6
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Just to clarify, in case anybody searches this post in the future.

The ride is a little stiffer, but even new EZGO springs would have done that compared to what he had. The ride is comparable to what I have ridden before with people who have lifted carts and EZGO brand springs.

It probably is a smidge firmer than EZGO brand, but still well within acceptable limits on this cart. Results not guaranteed, individual results may vary...
Old 08-02-2013, 02:31 PM   #7
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

OK, brother-in-law called. Springs are too stiff...

So it looks like I will be cutting down on the next sallest leaf on these springs. We removed the smallest leaf right when we got the springs... I will keep you posted as to when we get springs that are springy enough.
Old 08-02-2013, 06:19 PM   #8
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Perhaps the BIL should get off his wallet and buy real golf cart springs. The "adjust as you go" routine is gotta be getting old by now, LOL!
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 07:12 PM   #9
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

The problem is that the trailer-leafs are thicker(each leaf is a heavier-guage,than the originals),thus stiffer.Just replace them with the correct springs,or take the old ones to a spring-shop and have them repaired.They can match the arch,so that the sagging one is back the same as the other,and even add arch to raise it if needed.I work in a spring-shop,this is basic stuff.Your "Homemade-Bushings" won't last long,they need to support the weight or they will just deform and wear-thru or push out.Either order new ones from a cart-supplier,or as the spring-shop to match some up.They aren't much money either way,and make a big difference in ride.If you want to beef-up the originals,have a leaf added.Hope this helps.
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 09:58 PM   #10
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks Gorno and Pachanga, left a message for BIL today. Told him I would buy the trailer springs off of him and he should just get EZGO springs. I may remove all but the last leaf and try them on my cobbled together cart where expectations are lower.

Tags
ezgo, leaf spring, leaf springs, northern tool, trailer
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO