lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-17-2013, 09:20 AM   #21
cowboysclassics
Getting Wild

Harley Davidson

Default Re: Lightning strike 1993 EZGO 36-Volt XT 500 Workhorse

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
This site might help you identify your cart by the serial number. http://www.shopezgo.com/customer-ser...ialNumber.html

Fortunately, EZGO didn't re-invent the wheel every year like the automakers did and most parts of the drive system are interchangeable across the years.

Don't worry, Scotty knows what will work in your cart.
Thanks JB. That site cant find my serial number (go figure LOL), but I did find this info under the controller section which seems to be more clear.

Quote:
Controller-LDI (1204-027)
Controller-LDI (Curtis 1204-027) is used on 1989-1994 E-Z-GO Marathon Electric Models with 36volt / 275amp.
Item # 20972G1
20972G1 Controller-LDI (1204-027)
Price
$743.81

• Used on 1989-1994 E-Z-GO Marathon Electric Models
•When it's time to replace the Controller, you should also check the Motor since extreme conditions such as lightning can cause both the Controller and Motor permanent damage; Controllers are the most vulnerable to damage from lightning; Please refer to the section for Motors
•A Solid State Speed Controller with 0-5k input, 36 volt / 275amp; Curtis manufactured Controllers use various numeric extensions in the Curtis part number, if your Controller is listed as a 1204 followed by a dash, this is the one for your golf car regardless of the last three digits
cowboysclassics is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-17-2013, 09:41 AM   #22
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Either a 1204 or a 1205 controller with a 0-5K throttle will work and you can go with higher amps than 275 to get better performance.

Aftermarket controllers that have the about same footprints, will work also.

It not so much as finding ones that will work as it is narrowing down the field of those that will work to the ones that suit your needs best.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 11:41 AM   #23
pjmia96
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

If you like how it is stock then I would recommend the Alltrax NPX 4834 Non-Programable Model. I got mine new last year for $300.00 it works great on my Marathon.

Matt
pjmia96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 06:37 AM   #24
cowboysclassics
Getting Wild

Harley Davidson

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjmia96 View Post
If you like how it is stock then I would recommend the Alltrax NPX 4834 Non-Programable Model. I got mine new last year for $300.00 it works great on my Marathon.

Matt
Thanks for the input PJ. I am not unhappy with the way it has been, but for that much money I would not mind seeing an improvement in performance. I do like the non-programmable part though.
Old 08-19-2013, 06:48 AM   #25
cowboysclassics
Getting Wild

Harley Davidson

Quote:
Either a 1204 or a 1205 controller with a 0-5K throttle will work and you can go with higher amps than 275 to get better performance.

Aftermarket controllers that have the about same footprints, will work also.

It not so much as finding ones that will work as it is narrowing down the field of those that will work to the ones that suit your needs best.
Thanks again JB, that's what gets kind of confusing to me though. I am having a hard time finding out exactly what kind of setup I have now, it seems the controllers for the Workhorse vs Marathon are different.

Even some of the replacement upgraded controllers don't look like they would have the same type connections as the one I have now, 4 buss bars and 3 pin connectors. I just want to be sure whatever I get will hook up the same way, and not have any added maintenance as far as different settings and such.

I will contact ScottyB and see what he suggests.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:01 AM   #26
cowboysclassics
Getting Wild

Harley Davidson

I also noticed on the ID plate that under "Max Amp/AR Capacity @20 Hour Rate" it is marked 205 amps. I don't know if that will effect what replacement parts I will be able to use though.
Old 08-19-2013, 11:06 AM   #27
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboysclassics View Post
I also noticed on the ID plate that under "Max Amp/AR Capacity @20 Hour Rate" it is marked 205 amps. I don't know if that will effect what replacement parts I will be able to use though.
I believe that is the minimum recommendation for the battery capacity. " More is better " when it comes to batteries!
simple man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 11:19 AM   #28
cowboysclassics
Getting Wild

Harley Davidson

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple man View Post
I believe that is the minimum recommendation for the battery capacity. " More is better " when it comes to batteries!
That would make sense.

I am hoping my problems will be over by the end of the week as I just placed an order with ScottyB for a new controller PKG and set of 4 guage cables. Thanks again for everyones help.
Old 08-19-2013, 04:52 PM   #29
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Batteries have evolved a bit since that label was printed.
The standard 36V battery pack is now made up of 6V batteries with a 225AH rating.

Here is a list of commonly used 6V batteries and the only 205AH battery on it is towards the bottom.

When you replace the batteries, get the highest AH you can afford at the best price you can find locally.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6 Volt Battery AH comparisons.JPG (102.4 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 07:56 AM   #30
cowboysclassics
Getting Wild

Harley Davidson

Quote:
Batteries have evolved a bit since that label was printed.
The standard 36V battery pack is now made up of 6V batteries with a 225AH rating.

Here is a list of commonly used 6V batteries and the only 205AH battery on it is towards the bottom.

When you replace the batteries, get the highest AH you can afford at the best price you can find locally.
Thanks for the list JB, and I know now what you are saying.

The only 205 amp on the list are the same newer ones (Crown 205) I have 3 of. The other 3 are "All Pack brand Batterys" which are sold here locally that were new in 2011 and I also believe to be 205 amps. That's why I went with the Crowns so they would match the amperage of the older ones, plus they are only 90 bucks apiece.

These newer ones will eventually be installed in my wife's Harley Davidson 36 volt cart and should last her just fine no more then she uses hers, then I will upgrade mine to the best of the best new matched batterys.

I received my parts last night from ScottyB and will be attempting to install them today and update this thread later. Thanks for the quick shipping, and great packaging Scotty.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO