lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-25-2013, 09:11 PM   #11
branman1971
Getting Wild

Club Car

Default Re: What is this? MS? Volt Reducer?

Wired it up like my picture and didn't run on one 12v battery. I did find where you can apply 12v directly to the motor and with a jumper wire test to see if it runs at all. It did run real slow. I can't figure out what's wrong with my re-wire but I will keep tinkering with it.
branman1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-25-2013, 09:44 PM   #12
93yellowclubcar
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by branman1971 View Post
Wired it up like my picture and didn't run on one 12v battery. I did find where you can apply 12v directly to the motor and with a jumper wire test to see if it runs at all. It did run real slow. I can't figure out what's wrong with my re-wire but I will keep tinkering with it.
I forgot about testing the motor with a jumper, glad at least your motor runs, that tells you right there that the most expensive piece on the cart is good! Now it'll just be chasing down wires til it runs, sometimes it's a frustrating process. One other thing, when testing the whole system with just one 12 volt battery, make sure to depress the go pedal fully. Because of the resistors not having all the volts from an entire pack flowing through them, the motor probably won't turn on just 12 volts unless the pedal is down fully. Just thinking out loud, hope it helps you out.
93yellowclubcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 03:16 AM   #13
dewzer
Getting Wild

Your part is a silicon controlled rectifier. (or semiconductor-controlled rectifier)
This device is generally used in switching applications.
In the normal "off" state, the device restricts current to the leakage current. When the gate-to-cathode voltage exceeds a certain threshold, the device turns "on" and conducts current.
The device will remain in the "on" state even after gate current is removed as long as current through the device remains above the holding current. Ref:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silicon...lled_rectifier.
Click the link and read on down the page.
SCRs are mainly used in devices where the control of high power, possibly coupled with high voltage, is demanded. Their operation makes them suitable for use in medium to high-voltage AC power control applications, such as lamp dimming, regulators and motor control.

SCRs and similar devices are used for rectification of high power AC in high-voltage direct current power transmission. They are also used in the control of welding machines, mainly MTAW and GTAW processes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg elect%20005.jpg (38.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: png 220px-Thyristor_circuit_symbol_svg.png (3.7 KB, 0 views)
dewzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 06:07 AM   #14
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Click on his photo. It is NOT an SCR. It's an electro-mechanical device, NOT a semiconductor.

With most attached photos, you click once to get a preview, click again and it will open in a new window, click a third time and it will zoom to full size.

If you look closely, you'll see it has a coil and core, and a piece mounted on flexible steel with what are clearly contacts. It's either a buzzer or a vibrator, which mechanically are the same.

EDIT: electrically, a vibrator may more than one sets of contacts, so the coil doesn't have to be rated to handle the full load.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 06:20 AM   #15
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Can the OP confirm that there are only two spade terminals? The center thingy appears to be a plastic mounting tab.

If so, I'd hook it to 6 volts and see if it still works. If not, I'd increase by one battery until I tried with 36 volts.
Old 08-26-2013, 07:13 AM   #16
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by branman1971 View Post
12 volts may not be enough to activate the solenoid.
Old 08-26-2013, 12:34 PM   #17
branman1971
Getting Wild

Club Car

I completely bypassed the buzzer thing when i re-wired everything. You think it needs to be included? I will try to run 6volts through it and see what happens.
Old 08-26-2013, 12:39 PM   #18
93yellowclubcar
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Club Car

I cant see it being excluded causing a problem, most people unhook the buzzer anyhow, but you could try putting it in and see if anything changes. Yurtle had some good info on the solenoid that I never thought of, 12 volts may not be enough to make it work. You may want to try scavenging around for a couple more 12V batteries just for testing so you can test it on 36V.
93yellowclubcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 12:45 PM   #19
branman1971
Getting Wild

Club Car

Thats a good idea. I do have at least 2 good 12v batteries and one "jump box" for starting cars. I bet I can get close to 36v out of them. My next step is to find a cart like it and take pics of it's wiring and then copy it. I don't know if I can put the wiring job back the way it was. I didn't take pictures. :(
Old 08-26-2013, 12:46 PM   #20
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Buzzer isn't necessary. Just something else to play with, when you get frustrated on your troubleshooting.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO