lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-30-2014, 07:45 PM   #1
Moose308
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Hey guys another Newby

I'm new to the golf cart world and I have to say I'm loving. I know I'm gonna be needing some tech help. That's not my line of work or do I have much knowledge in the wiring field. If you need some metal put together I'm your man. I have a 2007 TXT EZGO sitting on some 14" wheels and tire. I'll be mainly using it for hunting and riding little girl around the yard. I have read a lot about controllers here and there and would like to know if upgrading it would help me with some low end torque. I'm having issues going up a few hills on my hunting property. If so what would be a good suggestion for the upgrade? Thanks for any help and I can't wait to get this baby up to it full potential.
Moose308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-30-2014, 09:03 PM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: Hey guys another Newby

First, whats the age of the batteries, often stamped in the lead terminal (A7 = Jan '07, C9 =march '09)
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 05:16 PM   #3
Moose308
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Well I just checked the batteries and the stamp said 4 on one post and 13 on the other. So I'm guessing they are only a little over a year old. I checked them with a little tester I have. Nothing fancy just a little thing that looks like a small turkey baister. After checking them all I had 4 batteries with low cells and one with a dead cell. Is there anything I can do to the batteries or do I just need to buy more? My knowledge of batteries is not that good. Thanks for any help.
Old 10-31-2014, 06:59 PM   #4
cgtech

Yamaha

A dead cell is not repairable. Sounds like batts were abused.
Old 11-01-2014, 07:46 AM   #5
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Hey Moose, a good rule of thumb is if it isn't being ridden it's on charge. Assuming you have a charger that isn't 15 years old. Older chargers ran off a timer. Newer chargers detect voltage and switch to a trickle or off.

But that only helps if you have batteries that are usable still.
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 08:09 AM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Sounds like you have some battery issues, but to answer questions about upgrading we need to know more about the cart.

Is it a series or sepex drive. If there is a Run/tow switch on the controller cover and the F/R selector is a rocker switch next to the keyswitch, it is a PDS (Sepex).

Also, what is the tire height? (14" is the rim size and tires of many different heights can be mounted on 14" rims)

If the tire height is greater than 18", the amount of torque available where the rubber meets the road is reduced, but that torque loss can be offset by increasing the ampacity of the controller and some other things.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 11:32 AM   #7
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Moose, CONGRATS on the ride, and Welcome to our happy little corner of the net, and to BGW. There is a BIG fridge on the back porch with anything you can think of in it...help yourself...of course only take what you can LEGALLY have. Make yourself at home on one of the big fluffy couches, kick your shoes off, put your feet up on one of the tables, yes we are allowed to do that, mom's, wive's, husbands, girlfirends and boyfriends here don't care....and take it easy.

oh...btw....every once in a while a food fight breaks out...so you may not want to wear nice clothes here.

Welcome!!
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 03:32 PM   #8
Moose308
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Apparently mine is a sepex. The tire size is 23x10.00-14. I guessing that it's 23 and I'm sure that has a lot to do with my power loss as far as up hills right? Do these come stock with a 275 or 300 amp controller? Man those things are expensive. But I guess that to use it like I want to I'm gonna have to make some upgrades. I'm going to get the new batteries tomorrow. I'm tired of driving it to the back of the property to have to almost push it back to camp. How long should I expect the new batteries to last on a full charge? Man I didn't know what I was getting myself into with this guy. So far I have really enjoyed it though. Thanks for all y'all's help so far. I'm sure I'll be back picking your brains before its all done.thanks again.
Old 11-05-2014, 05:24 PM   #9
cgtech

Yamaha

Batteries, HD cables, HD solenoid, 400a Alltrax DCX is a good upgrade path. Now would be a good time to consider upgrading to 48v since you will be getting batteries, if these other upgrades are in your future, now is the time to go to 48v since all your upgrade parts & stock motor are ready for it. It would require a 48v charger in addition to the other upgrades.
Old 11-06-2014, 06:16 AM   #10
Moose308
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Do you have to upgrade to a 48v to upgrade the controller? I was under the impression that 36v was the way to go. I guess that shows what I know. So if I would like to upgrade the controller to a 400a it would need to be upgraded to 48v? I also read somewhere that you could change the wiring for like hilly course? I have to say it sucks having to learn all about this thing. Because me and wiring don't get along.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO