lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-06-2014, 07:51 PM   #11
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

Default Re: Speed code question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_nra View Post
So the question still remains. If I do the motor upgrade of all parts do I still need spped code 4 programmed in to get it to run top speed? Is the "Programming" in the speed controller or the computer?
I BELIEVE the answer is yes... What motor are you planning on uprading to? The programming is in the controller.
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-07-2014, 04:19 AM   #12
scubabud
Ban Puppy Mills & Stores!

Club Car

Quote:
So the question still remains. If I do the motor upgrade of all parts do I still need spped code 4 programmed in to get it to run top speed? Is the "Programming" in the speed controller or the computer?
As asked before, what Controller are you planning to purchase, if any? And what type of speed are you looking for?
scubabud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 06:52 AM   #13
Scott_nra
Getting Wild

My plan is to install a high torque motor, with all the new gear. Controller, wires, f/r switch and solenoid. I need more hill climbing, log jumping, mud slinging torque that what it can really do now.
Scott_nra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 08:10 AM   #14
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
My plan is to install a high torque motor, with all the new gear. Controller, wires, f/r switch and solenoid. I need more hill climbing, log jumping, mud slinging torque that what it can really do now.
If you are planning on installing a new controller then don't waste your money getting SC-4 programmed into your stock controller. Besides if your looking for more torque your not going to get that out of a stock 250 amp Curtis controller with or without SC-4 programmed in.

No matter for speed or torque you absolutely need a good solid set of batteries that don't fall off quickly when the amp demand is applied thus even though your batteries still charge up to 51 volts does not mean that they are still able to deliver the energy when it is asked of them. Not saying that your batteries are weak but only a load test can tell you truthfully; my cart had 3 year old batteries that would charge up just fine but 3 of them would give up much too quickly.

Again no matter for speed or torque you need big cables to deliver the energy. Super size your Happy Meal and go with 2 gauge welding cables with soldered lug ends. Think big pipes!

Broken record here no matter for speed or torque your going to need better than the 250 amp solenoid to handle the big energy demands. Use a 400/1000 amp super duty solenoid. Think big on/off valve!

One more time the stock 250 amp controller is simply not going to be able to pass the amperage your demanding to have a torque machine with or without SC4 so skip that fantasy and move on up to the 500 amp or bigger class of controller and be done with it. Not until I installed the 1268 Curtis 500 amp controller in my cart was I finally able to tackle all the hills in our hood. Again ya got to have big controlling valves to get big flow.

With the right torque built motor you can still expect to see very respectable speeds too; 25 MPH without issue.
teecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 08:41 AM   #15
Scott_nra
Getting Wild

Thanks Teecro, that's exactly the input I was looking for. As for batteries, I'll have to find out a place to load test them as I know that's a bit involved.

Id be tickled s#!tless with 25MPH and probably nervous as the lift has a bit of back and forth drift in it right now at 13! (Working that out to try to fix)

Thanks again.
Old 11-07-2014, 03:33 PM   #16
_ogre
Golf Cart? oops 😉

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
Also, the magnet is $20 shipped from phoenix america, which actually manufactures them.
first i've heard of this
do you have a part number?
have you ordered from them?
_ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 03:46 PM   #17
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Yes, twice, to North Carolina is like $9.80 for the part and $11 for shipping, I guess they are not really a retail facility so they charge the actual cost of having someone ship it to you.

The speed magnet (4 poles) PhoenixAmerica part # P16C25R4
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 06:11 PM   #18
Scott_nra
Getting Wild

My plan is for the 11HP torque motor. Looking for wheel spinning low end hill climbing torque with around 25+mph top end and I'll be tickled. Hoping to keep a range of a 5 miles - ish
Old 11-07-2014, 07:09 PM   #19
jjance
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
The speed magnet (4 poles)
It is my understanding that the speed magnet has only 2 poles. The Rpm limiter counts the pulses. With only 2 poles the motor has to go 1.5 times faster then the 4 pole magnet to have the same number of pulses outputted to the limiter. Thus the increase in speed.
jjance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 07:53 PM   #20
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Your are talking pulses...
The stock magnet has 8 poles, but because the HAL effect sensor used is bipolar latching, it takes 1 north pole to turn on and then a same strength south pole to turn off, so 8 poles equal 4 pulses.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car