lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-15-2014, 12:39 PM   #1
GoGators2
Not Yet Wild

Default Need motor recommendations: 2005 EZGO PDS w/500aDCX controller, lifted, 23s

Hey all, GREAT forum, learn something new every day! Just finished a custom build for a client: 2005 EZGO TXT PDS, 500 amp DCX Alltrax controller, super duty solenoid, 2 gauge cables thru-out, 6" Jake's long-travel, 23" offroad tires, disc brakes, back seat kit, flat terrain/no hills (Orlando area). Customer also wants/needs to upgrade motor. Cart did 27mph on initial speed run with stock motor and new controller (with settings from factory, field map #4). Have since dialed it back to 80% to conserve stock motor until we decide on a replacement. Looking to increase torque while keeping good speed (not necessarily 27, lol). Figured this is the best place to get some advice, so, any suggestions?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8013.jpg (204.2 KB, 0 views)
GoGators2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-15-2014, 01:13 PM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Need motor recommendations: 2005 EZGO PDS w/500aDCX controller, lifted, 23s

He might like something like the high-speed/high-torque motor I'm running, but he may want more torque since my 17" tall tires transfer 26% more motor torque to the road than his 23" tall tires do.

I take it he is running at 36V. Is the Turbo off? (At 36V with turbo on and 23" tire, it should top out at about 30 MPH)

Give D&D a call and they'll figure out what is best for the application.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 05:06 PM   #3
GoGators2
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Need motor recommendations: 2005 EZGO PDS w/500aDCX controller, lifted, 23s

Thanks for the quick reply, JohnnieB! Yes, 36volt, Turbo is on. Stock motor is fleet speed. I called D&D today, spoke to 3 different people, and got 3 different recommendations, lol. (motors 7651, 6349, and 5021). I guess each has their own pros and cons, so I'm hoping the BGW crew can shed some light on which would be best (or other brands to consider as well)
Old 12-15-2014, 06:07 PM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGators2 View Post
Thanks for the quick reply, JohnnieB! Yes, 36volt, Turbo is on. Stock motor is fleet speed. I called D&D today, spoke to 3 different people, and got 3 different recommendations, lol. (motors 7651, 6349, and 5021). I guess each has their own pros and cons, so I'm hoping the BGW crew can shed some light on which would be best (or other brands to consider as well)
I got 24 MPH from a DCX400 and a stock PDS motor on stock height tires (~18") at 36V with Turbo on. Top speed with a DCX400 and DCX500 at the same voltage is the same, so the 23" would have mathematically upped the top speed by 28%, or nearly 31MPH, but tall tires take more torque to turn, so it won't be reached, but I think it ought to be closer than 4MPH.

Could be a lot of things holding it back. Low pressure tires, bragging brakes, (It does have 4-wheel disks, maybe that's it)
Also, the size stamped of the sidewall is a group size rather than actual size. Many are over a inch off when measured.

Personally, I like the 7651, since it is what I am running.
I'm not familiar with the other two.
Old 12-15-2014, 10:14 PM   #5
GoGators2
Not Yet Wild

Great, thanks for the info JohnnieB!
Old 12-16-2014, 05:03 AM   #6
sportcoupe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGators2 View Post
If you talked to Eric at D&D (engineering dept) I would lean towards his recommendation. He is less conservative then Vic. Not to downplay the members here at BGW but D&D has more motor experience then anyone here. I'd listen hard to Eric's recommendation. I've got 5 motors from him, all outstanding.
sportcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 07:58 AM   #7
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportcoupe View Post
If you talked to Eric at D&D (engineering dept) I would lean towards his recommendation. He is less conservative then Vic. Not to downplay the members here at BGW but D&D has more motor experience then anyone here. I'd listen hard to Eric's recommendation. I've got 5 motors from him, all outstanding.

In fact, Eric is 8.3% less conservative than Vic.
At least that is the difference in their recommendations as to the max RPM for the motor I have.
Vic says 6,000 and Eric says 6,500, so I try to keep it under 7,000.

In reality, it is too rough off-road to travel very fast and the speed limit on the roads I routinely travel is 25 MPH or less, so I rarely have the opportunity to take my motor over 6,200 RPM.

--------
Objectively speaking, what is more important to the customer, Torque or Speed?

Also remember, more Torque and more Speed can be obtained from a high torque motor (or any other type motor) by increasing the pack voltage.
Both the DCX500 and the Super-Duty solenoid will work at 36V, 42V and 48V.
Old 12-16-2014, 10:49 PM   #8
GoGators2
Not Yet Wild

Great advice thanks to all and Happy Holidays!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO