lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-03-2015, 08:56 AM   #1
smille5291
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default par car motor 17-20mph on stock controller in TXT ?

Ok I found a par car motor cheap so I threw it in my ezgo txt series cart. 14mph with all stock brand new batteries and cables not the best but new. Now the motor is describes as increasing mph from 13-14mph to 17-20 on stock controller.. I did notice the F&R switch smelled hot so I ordered ScottyBs super cool FR ... Any Ideas ? is it possible or am I going to have to change out the controller? Now if I change out the controller I did read somewhere ScottyB said all high speed motors should have atleast 500 amps seeing how this one says it should run these numbers stock does anyone think I can get away with the 400amp alltrax .... The model number of the motor is 69200-89A Par-Car 4400 rpm 4hp...
smille5291 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-03-2015, 10:15 AM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: par car motor 17-20mph on stock controller in TXT ?

I'm a firm believer that overkill is underrated, but if you are running stock height tires (18") a 400A controller ought to be okay with a high-speed wound series motor.

In fact, the stock EZGO controller might be okay. A 69200-89A is a stock Par-Car motor, so if the question becomes, is a stock EZGO (Curtis 1206) controller about the same as a stock Par-Car controller used in the Par-Car that a 69200-89A is a stock motor for?

A higher ampacity controller will give you better low end performance, but due to the laws of physics, the motor will probably only be drawing 50A-75A, which is well below the the 275A rating of the stock controller. Actually, the 275A is something like a one minute rating, sustained rating is about half of that, but still more that the motor is likely to be able to draw at 4400 RPM.

Of course, this is pure speculation since I've never even seen a Par-Car.

However, motors is motors and and controllers is controllers.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 12:00 PM   #3
smille5291
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks JB... I have 20" mud tires... the cart only went 14mph according to GPS on Phone it felt slow..lol...... The FR switch smelled hot 1/2 later I checked the heat with my laser heat gun it was 114deg so ScottyBs FR is on order ... I wanted faster but as long as I don't burn something up Im happy for now..
Old 03-03-2015, 01:27 PM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Theoretically, the 20" tire increases speed by about 11% and drops the torque by about 10%, but the "Mud" part of the description waves a flag that has a reddish tinge to it.

If they are low pressure tires (Max inflation pressure stamped on the sidewall of 10PSI or less), they are costing you some speed and torque. Basically, it takes more torque to turn a low pressure tire, so the motor draws more amps at any given RPM and the motor will not have the torque needed to reach as high RPM as it could turning tires with less rolling resistance.

Using a motor that is wound for higher speed makes it worse.

With series wound motors, speed and torque are mutually exclusive. You can wind them for high torque and low speed, or low torque and high speed, or something between the two extremes with modest amounts of both.

Keep an eye on the cables, F/R and motor for heat.
Old 03-03-2015, 04:03 PM   #5
smille5291
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

The FR was 195 degrees on a short run... The cables weren't as hot and only at the FR so i'm thinking the Fr just needs to be updated.. Just wondering if it's going to start a domino effect.. Solenoid, controller.....cables... If I do anything else either the cart is getting the stock motor back and getting sold or I am going all the way Big motor big controller and solenoid...I'm a speed freak cant handle overheating at 14mph it better be scaring the $#!+ out of me if it's over heating... :)
Old 03-03-2015, 05:40 PM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

If you are a DIYer and have the need for speed, sell it and get a 36V PDS.

When I put a DCX400, Super-duty solenoid and 2Ga cable into an otherwise stock 2008 PDS, I got ~24 MPH at 36V and it jumped to ~28 MPH at 42V.

I exploded the stock PDS motor by going down a steep hill with the pedal to the metal, which took out the DCX400, so I ended up with the set-up I have now, but a stock PDS motor with a DCX400 is a wicked set-up.

Since FL is a lot flatter than WV, you shouldn't have the same problem.
Old 03-03-2015, 05:47 PM   #7
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I have the GE version of that motor if, in fact, you do have the 4hp 4400 rpm rated motor. This motor would push my cart to 17-18 easily and up to 20 given a little time to wind out.(36v) This is under optimum conditions: 18" tires at 20 psi on pavement, warm weather, strong batteries and no restrictions like bad bearings or dragging brakes.
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 05:02 AM   #8
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Roughly speaking voltage give you speed and amperage gives you torque. You could upgrade to 48 volts when your batteries give out, but that requires a controller that can take 48 volts, solenoid and charger. The motor won't care as long as it doesn't get too hot.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO