lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-26-2016, 01:03 PM   #1
larrybi
Not Yet Wild

Question looking ahead

my new Beast motor is due in tomorrow, I have never done anything like this before.....so my question is.....Is there any advise you can offer, shortcuts or anything I should or can do to make this job a little easier. My new 2 gauge cables are due in by Friday. I haven't ordered my controller or solenoid or HD FNR switch but will be doing it at the first of next week. Any advise anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated.......

96 CC ds series, 48 volt, 6" axle lift, 23" tires 12" rims
larrybi is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-26-2016, 02:13 PM   #2
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Default Re: looking ahead

Obviously, make sure your batteries are disconnected before installing that motor.

I have only installed two of those so I am no expert. On both, though, I had to use a small, 12" pry bar to gently tap and work the edges of the stock motor to get them unseated. They came off easy after that. The new motor should slide on pretty much effortlessly. Whole process took all of 20 min.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 02:20 PM   #3
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

It's heavy!! You can use an old battery cable to two of the studs to make a handle. For old one and new one if it doesn't have one.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 02:28 PM   #4
NCPW
Just Gone

Club Car

Change the transaxle oil while you're down there. 80-90wt synthetic is what I went with. For removing the old motor, a rubbed mallet was all that was need fortunately. I used a little copper anti-seize on the shaft before installing the new motor also.
NCPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 02:57 PM   #5
jjance
Gone Wild

Club Car

Label all wires, take pictures and make drawings of how everything came apart. Once those wires are taken loose you won't remember where they went. And use two wrenches so you don't spin the bolts in the motor. When reassembling put anti seize grease on the motor coupling shaft.
If there isn't a rubber bumper in the coupling shaft on the new motor remove the one from the old motor and install it.
jjance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 03:04 PM   #6
larrybi
Not Yet Wild

okay thanks guys for the advise.....looking forward to seeing how much difference the BEAST makes in torque. Do you think I could sell the old motor and controller and maybe solenoid.....any idea what they might be worth
larrybi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 04:18 PM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

All good advice above - the most critical is disconnect the pack mains FIRST. Accidental motor cable contact can fry the controller. Also, I suggest upgrading the amperage delivery system first before upgrading the amperage demand.

Beast motor on stock control, cables, & F&R? Not the best plan
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 08:07 PM   #8
Epb
Gone Wild
Club Car

I would consider a reversing contactor and not the fnr. 2g cables are heavy and can work the tiny screws on fnr loose. I hope the old one comes off easy☺
Epb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 08:26 AM   #9
NCPW
Just Gone

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epb View Post
I would consider a reversing contactor and not the fnr. 2g cables are heavy and can work the tiny screws on fnr loose. I hope the old one comes off easy☺
+1 on the RC.
NCPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car