lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-12-2017, 09:01 PM   #1
Dgrobertson
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 2011 EZGO 48V battery charging issue

Having issues while charging an 2011 EZGO 48V cart. Upon plugging in the charger I get a blinking green light and can watch the voltage start to climb in the batteries. But after several hours, or overnight, I get either a three blinking red light fault code or a single blinking red light fault code - cannot get a solid green light. The batteries will charge up to 54V-55V and then settle back to 50.9V after the fault trips. If I unplug and plug back in I can get the blinking green light again but then get the fault code after a few hours again. I can't get a solid green (full charge) light and it will never start charging on it's own again after the fault trips unless I unplug and then plug back in.

I've replaced the cables (they needed it), cleaned the connections, maintained the water level - still acting the same. The individual batteries show all about the same voltage - 8.4V to 8.5V. The batteries are Crown and the numbers all begin with G0214 stamped on them so I think they are 2014. (for example a complete number looks like this: G02140J1 1025). So as it is I can't leave it plugged in for an extended period of time and expect the batteries to be topped of when I go to use it. I can however unplug an then plug back in to reset the charger and then top off the charge if I have a few hours before I plan on using it. So it is not unusable- just inconvenient - and maybe life limiting to the batteries to go through those cycles.

Any ideas on what else to check. I'm thinking it's a charger problem but wanted any other ideas before I purchased a new charger. Any recommendations on a charger?

My apologies if this has been covered in another thread.
Dgrobertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-13-2017, 05:47 AM   #2
usgicollector
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2011 EZGO 48V battery charging issue

What make and model of charger are you using?
usgicollector is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 07:48 AM   #3
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

The seventh and eighth number is the date code on Crowns. J1 in the number you provided. So, Oct 2011 makes them ~5 1/2 years old now, possibly the original batteries in the cart. Looks like they have given you and/or previous owner good service.
This doesn't necessarily mean you don't have a charger problem, however. Charger needs to be verified as operational first. You don't want to purchase new batteries and damage them from the get go with a faulty charger.
The batteries could be at end of life but as long as they have the range and performance you require they are still good enough.

Picture of the charger would be nice.
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 10:09 AM   #4
Dgrobertson
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Charger photos uploaded.

EZGO Power Wise QE

How do you decrypt the Crown code? I found something on line that says-
1st digit = month
2nd & 3rd digit = day
4th= year
5th= assy line
6th = warranty
7th = shift

This was from 2011.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0867.jpg (212.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0868.jpg (147.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-13-2017, 12:15 PM   #5
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

You know I can't remember now where I learned how to decode the Crown serial numbers. I researched it when I bought mine (new) so I could see if the retailer/ distributer was selling fresh batteries. This was 2013.
But lets say your way is correct. Doesn't it still come out 2011?
G=July, 02= second day of july, 1=2011 or 2001 (not likely). 1 is the 4th digit the way I count it.
Do you have any other information to corroborate the age of the batteries one way or the other? From your post it doesn't sound like you bought them and the inference is you aren't the original owner of the cart either. True? If they actually are 2014s that would be great but a manufacture date of July 14 makes them almost 3 years old. Plenty of time for a previous owner to abuse or neglect them so end of life at this age is certainly possible.

With all that said I think you should look at the charger first. That charger is notorious for failures. Any chance you can borrow a known good charger to try?
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 01:03 PM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Attached is a page out of the PW-QE 48V Users manual showing a more complete explanation of the fault code than what is given on the unit.

One red flash means the charger is not entering the charge cycle and suggests bad connection in the charger port or high temperature.

Three red flashes means the battery pack is still charging after 12 hours and suggests old batteries or reduced charging current due to high temperature.

You said the on-charge voltage was getting up to about 57-55 Volts. It ought to be reaching about 60V. (2.5VPC times 24 cells)

Unless the batteries are getting above about 120°F while charging, or the charging port contacts are dirty, it sounds like the batteries have reached the end of their usable lifespan.

As for chargers, the best is the DPI Accusense: http://www.cartsunlimited.net/chargers-36-48v.html

The second picture shows where the PW-QE belongs, but it appears to be working at the moment.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PW-QE 48V.jpg (760.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg tmp_0830120932382852519.jpg (259.4 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 01:35 PM   #7
Dgrobertson
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks for the feedback and input. I bought the cart used last fall so I can't confirm the battery age. If the batteries are original to the cart (and it sounds like they might be now) they could be at the end of their useful life. This is contrary to the info I was told when buying the cart - lesson learned for next time.

I still might try to borrow a charger if I can find one in the neighborhood and see if I get the same result.
Old 05-13-2017, 05:12 PM   #8
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

I could be wrong, but I have never seen any ezgo delivered from the factory with anything other than Trojans or US batteries, never crown.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 09:27 PM   #9
Dgrobertson
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Batteries where the problem. Batteries replaced and the charger is now responding as expected. I get a solid green light now indicating batteries fully charged. Also better performance from the cart. Thanks for the help.

Tags
batteries, charger, code, crown, fault
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO