lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-07-2017, 08:31 PM   #11
noxin
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2000 Ezgo TXT Series drive with no reverse

I have that, but the solenoid breakout portion seemed unclear. I think I've just been confused about diode polarity, and the voltage swings have been crazy out of the controller so I was hoping for an obvious answer =/
noxin is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-07-2017, 08:43 PM   #12
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by noxin View Post
Thanks! I was worried that the positive on the large post and small post needed to be the same =)
This is not so. Either small post can be used for + or - .
The banded end of the diode must go towards the + WIRE regardless of which post it is on.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 08:47 PM   #13
noxin
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Thank you for clearing that up!
Off to measure voltages =)
Old 07-08-2017, 06:07 AM   #14
usgicollector
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

If a series cart goes in one direction, but not the other, the problem is in the F/R switch assembly. I would check to make sure the alignment on the switch is making the reverse contact.
usgicollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 07:42 AM   #15
noxin
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

I checked the FNR switch for continuity, and took it out and cleaned all the contacts, but didn't get improvement. I'm not ruling it out completely though.

I did start back at the top of the diagnostics checklist, and the first weird reading I got was in the controller output section.

Between B+ and B- I get pack voltage when the solenoid is engaged (which is correct)
When I press the pedal, the voltage is not decreasing as expected (wheels are turning)
Between M- and B+, voltage starts at 0 and when I press pedal, it spikes wildly up into 100s of volts, but settles at pack voltage if I keep the pedal fully pressed
Comparing between M- and B+ does not match between B- and B+

Still thinking faulty controller at this point? Also, all of the tests say put the cart in forward, should I expect same results with it in reverse so I can diagnose?
Old 07-08-2017, 07:56 AM   #16
noxin
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Also, I'm getting pack voltage across B+ to B- even when the cart is off. Is that right?

In forward, I get no reading from B+ to M- while off, but I get 27v on those same terminals in reverse.
Old 07-08-2017, 08:28 AM   #17
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

That's normal. Test the F&R micro switch . Likely not getting triggered in reverse - could be a mechanical problem or the F&R is bad

F&R continuity can produce false positive test results.
Old 07-08-2017, 09:34 AM   #18
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by noxin View Post
I checked the FNR switch for continuity, and took it out and cleaned all the contacts, but didn't get improvement. I'm not ruling it out completely though.

I did start back at the top of the diagnostics checklist, and the first weird reading I got was in the controller output section.

Between B+ and B- I get pack voltage when the solenoid is engaged (which is correct)
When I press the pedal, the voltage is not decreasing as expected (wheels are turning)
Between M- and B+, voltage starts at 0 and when I press pedal, it spikes wildly up into 100s of volts, but settles at pack voltage if I keep the pedal fully pressed
Comparing between M- and B+ does not match between B- and B+

Still thinking faulty controller at this point? Also, all of the tests say put the cart in forward, should I expect same results with it in reverse so I can diagnose?
The motor controller is a PWM (Pulse Width Modulator), which pulses current to the motor windings rapidly during partial throttle conditions. The motor windings produce inductive spikes, which are higher in amplitude (voltage) than the pack voltage. This has no effect on low impedance loads, like the motor. But your meter is high impedance and is reading those high voltage spikes and showing that, even though it is not the average voltage. This is as simply as I can word it and be accurate, sorry if it is not understandable.

Bob
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 09:41 AM   #19
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBoyce View Post
The motor controller is a PWM (Pulse Width Modulator), which pulses current to the motor windings rapidly during partial throttle conditions. The motor windings produce inductive spikes, which are higher in amplitude (voltage) than the pack voltage. This has no effect on low impedance loads, like the motor. But your meter is high impedance and is reading those high voltage spikes and showing that, even though it is not the average voltage. This is as simply as I can word it and be accurate, sorry if it is not understandable.

Bob
Oh, I get - good ole rocket science.
Old 07-08-2017, 10:12 AM   #20
noxin
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks for the explanation BobBoyce! That was actually quite helpful!

As far as microswitches, I'm getting continuity on both. The one connected to the charging receptacle has continuity on both forward and reverse, while the other has it only in reverse.

However, I had to unplug the orange cable that goes to pin 3 on the controller, otherwise I was getting a high resistance continuity reading.

So I removed all the wires from both microswitches and checked them for resistance. The first one (forward?) had a reading of 1.7 ohms when activated and the other read 32 ohms.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO