lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-08-2017, 12:18 PM   #21
noxin
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2000 Ezgo TXT Series drive with no reverse

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
That's normal. Test the F&R micro switch . Likely not getting triggered in reverse - could be a mechanical problem or the F&R is bad

F&R continuity can produce false positive test
Scottyb is right again!

I jumpered the microswitch giving the high resistance reading in reverse and the wheels started spinning.

Only bad news is now I have to wait longer to talk my wife into upgrading the controller/solenoid. I'm sure she'll get bored with the slow uphill speeds in our neighborhood soon.
noxin is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-08-2017, 01:14 PM   #22
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

lol - glad I could help
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 11:16 AM   #23
Barbersham
Getting Wild

Is there a walk through on FnR switch cleaning and miscroswitch that a rookie can use? My reverse works sometimes and sometimes not. I can hear the click every time. I know nothing about electricity but can neither afford to take it in to a mechanic nor do I want to. If I remove any wires I would never be able to figure it out again. Was told I could remove the bar and the 2 mounting bolts and I can spin the switch with wires attached to get to it. I live in Michigan. I am pretty sure the forward and reverse switch was replaced last year to a heavy duty one.
Barbersham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 11:29 AM   #24
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Rule #1 for electronic work. Mark and document the location of all wires before you remove them. I like to identify the 4 big terminals of the F&R switch like numbers on a clock. These are 12, 3, 6, and 9 o'clock. Use masking, painters tape, a label maker to put stickers on these cables before removing them.
This insures you will always know where any one of them goes just by looking at the tag you put on it.

For the top micro switches. Draw a rude sketch (like the one below) and identify the the wires by color and location. Once this is done take cellphone pics to preserve anything you missed. Once armed with solid identification like this you are no longer crippled by the identification process. Find additional information below

Oh - remember always disconnect the battery main + or - before you start any work on the cart.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0.1Ezgo F&R instruc EZ575.jpg (124.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-12-2017, 11:36 AM   #25
Barbersham
Getting Wild

Was told to remove one connecting wire between 2 batteries and I will be fine. Once I get it apart how do I know what to do with the switch
Old 07-12-2017, 12:53 PM   #26
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Honestly, I don't understand the reason to take the switch apart.
This rotary switch uses friction contacts. They rub on each other and I see no way they would need cleaning for better contact as the friction from general use would scrub them clean enough. What I do see happening is possibly the center nut is tightened up additionally when the unit is reassembled and THAT is improving surface contact.
All OEM F&Rs are doomed to failure once the carts leave the golf course. There are many inexpensive so called heavy duty switches available that are marginally heavier. I hear from people who say they are on their 3rd HD switch in 2 seasons. We take that switch and put our own upgrades into it and machine the contact surface for a better fit.
My Switch has a higher amperage capacity and better cooling. It has been tested on a hundred 700 amp hunting vehicles. The failure rate on my is ridiculously low.

Bottom line. Tighten the center pivot shaft nut 1/4 to 1/2 turn and call it good. That should get you going again. When it fails again, find the EZ575 here > http://www.cartsunlimited.net/f---r--switches.html
Old 07-12-2017, 02:12 PM   #27
Barbersham
Getting Wild

So the reverse working intermittently could be just tightening that nut? No microswitch problem could cause this or anything? Someone told me the controller is bad but everything I have read is that reverse either works or doesn't work. No intermittent working if controller is bad
Old 07-12-2017, 02:21 PM   #28
noxin
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Even though my plan was to replace the microswitch, I ended up taking it off and using a water/baking soda mix and a toothpick inside the screw connections and scrubbed the screws themselves.

After it dried and I reinstalled, I was able to wiggle the reverse switch handle a little as I pressed the pedal and it would find the sweet spot and go. Since that day, it has worked every time I moved the switch to reverse. I'm sure I'll still be in the market for a new one soon...

On a related note, if I wanted to start upgrading one piece at a time, what would be the order to purchase items?

FNR switch, solenoid, controller? I assume you can't put in a 400+ amp controller without replacing the other 2 pieces, but doing the others first should be OK, right?
noxin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 11:28 PM   #29
Barbersham
Getting Wild

Funny but I took the bolts off the frame and moved the FNR so I could look at it. Nothing is fried but it does look like the copper inside is ground down like some bad brakes on a car. The part that got me was when I put it back in I failed to mark the frame and I put it back in a different spot. Now reverse runs perfect but forward is like half speed. I noticed the bar from the FNR to the actual switch is bent really well. Plus the shaft and the block right below where the arm attaches is sloppy and I'm not sure how that can even be tightened.
Old 07-30-2017, 06:18 AM   #30
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

For the actual FNR, I set mine to EXACTLY N (neutral), then slid it back and forth until the handle is EXACTLY at 12:00 (straight up), then tightened it up.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO