lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-23-2017, 12:53 PM   #1
soultrain65
Not Yet Wild

Default Ezgo moves slightly with key off

I have a 1990 Marathon 36V resistor cart. Moved it into the shop, put in neutral, turned key off and removed key. When I put the cart in forward or reverse, I get a slight "bump" forward or reverse, like it's still getting power. Looked in the battery compartment with key back in and the bottom stud on the speed control board (the one with no wire) was glowing red.

Bad speed control board? Bad key switch?
soultrain65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-23-2017, 01:26 PM   #2
Golf cart guy
Gone Wild

Default Re: Ezgo moves slightly with key off

We call that a "Ghost rider". Bad solenoid more than likely
Golf cart guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 10:10 PM   #3
soultrain65
Not Yet Wild

Hmmmm, I just put a new one on. I'll test it out. Does a Ghost Rider occur even with the key out?

I did pull the speed control board where the dead stud was glowing red. Seems the wiper contact is worn out and about half burned off where it contacts. When the pedal is completely pressed, there is a gap between #5 stud and the wiper as the cable isn't long enough to account for the shorter wiper, so it was arcing badly.
Old 07-27-2017, 07:15 PM   #4
soultrain65
Not Yet Wild

Figured it out. The wiper pin had shorted a few times and had about half of the end that slides across the copper studs burned off. It was hanging up across the dead stud and stud 1, which kept the circuit open. I put in a new speed control board with new studs, ground the wiper pin back flat (and then rounded off edges slightly so it would slide), and reassembled. I also had to re-route a few of the solenoid wires to ensure the wiper cable could reach stud 4 and still make solid contact. After reassembly, pedal pushes smoothly and no more ghost rider.
Old 07-28-2017, 12:53 PM   #5
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Good as new. Glad you figured it out.
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO