lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-27-2017, 01:18 PM   #1
JaxPilot
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Steering shaft / Column issues

I'm at my wits end here, and ready to take a cutting torch to this machine. I thought I had identified the problem, but even after putting in shorter bolts and smaller nuts, once I torque the steering column, the grinding reappears. I don't know if I am improperly tightening the coupler - it is a "firm but not tight" fit between the coupler and the pinion gear, and between the coupler and steering shaft. Does that need to be really tight? The clearances measure fine when disassembled, but the grinding returns when the 3 bolts are tightened.

Here is what I believed to be the original problem. Any insight or help from those who have taken this all apart or solved it in the past would be greatly appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxPilot View Post
I finally got back to the cart, and pulled the steering wheel, adapter, column cover and steering shaft off the golf cart. I found my steering issue. In my infinite (lack of) wisdom, I replaced a flat lock nut with a nylon insert lock nut on the bolt that ties the steering shaft to the pinion gear, because I had one handy and thought it would be secure. You can see the difference in height, and probably guess where this is going.

This picture is of the inside of the steering column, where said locknut was merrily grinding a path around the inside diameter of the column. With the cover off, the steering turns smoothly stop to stop, as I would expect. I'll grind down the damage and smooth it out, and then go get a 1/4-20 flat locknut and put the thing back together.

-Paul
JaxPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-27-2017, 01:55 PM   #2
net
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Steering shaft / Column issues

You got it

Enviado desde mi SGH-I337M mediante Tapatalk
net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 02:02 PM   #3
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

jax......you know I just did this....and looking at the pictures above I see something that is different than mine. the coupler bolts on mine have no washers on either side, just the bolt and the nut, AND when "snugged" up the bolt barely goes past the nut. these are FACTORY in my case. It appears yours are not an d the bolt itself is a little long and that is where your rub is.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 02:19 PM   #4
JaxPilot
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Nuke View Post
jax......you know I just did this....and looking at the pictures above I see something that is different than mine. the coupler bolts on mine have no washers on either side, just the bolt and the nut, AND when "snugged" up the bolt barely goes past the nut. these are FACTORY in my case. It appears yours are not an d the bolt itself is a little long and that is where your rub is.
Yes, and I was hoping you were online! I realized that I got 1" socket head cap screws, instead of 7/8, and I cut them down. Also switched to thin Jam nuts on one, and the original locknut on the other. I have no washers installed. I wounder if I should try regular hex head screws?

How tight did you make them? The steering shaft will not support its own weight at the torque I have them, is that too light?

Measuring the clearance, I have almost .25" difference between the bolt/nut length and and inside diameter of the column.

Bottom nut is a jam nut.

Top nut is the original center lock nut.

Old 07-27-2017, 04:05 PM   #5
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Just so I'm clear...this is the steering shaft that goes up to the steering wheel, correct... the bolts in my coupler were regular hex head bolts. And as I said, they were barely long enough to get past the nut, but they did. Don't worry about supporting the shaft because as soon as you put the cover on, there is a bushing at the top that supports the shaft. And I only got them snug tight and there were no washers on them when I took mine apart so I put them back together the same way.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Old 07-27-2017, 04:30 PM   #6
JaxPilot
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Correct. I'll try different nuts and bolts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-27-2017, 09:42 PM   #7
JaxPilot
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Using regular hex head 1/4-20 x 3/4 bolts with thin jam nuts seems to have done the trick. I would have loved to have had one thread out past the nut, but that didn't happen, they are flush. I couldn't find any x7/8". Hopefully the blue Loctite will hold the nuts in place.

Thanks, SN, for calming me down and pointing me in the right direction. The parts called out in the manual are, for some reason, not working for me.
Old 07-27-2017, 10:19 PM   #8
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxPilot View Post
Using regular hex head 1/4-20 x 3/4 bolts with thin jam nuts seems to have done the trick. I would have loved to have had one thread out past the nut, but that didn't happen, they are flush. I couldn't find any x7/8". Hopefully the blue Loctite will hold the nuts in place.

Thanks, SN, for calming me down and pointing me in the right direction. The parts called out in the manual are, for some reason, not working for me.
Glad I could help.....and just so you know....once the bolt face is FLUSH with the nut....you have attained 100% of the holding strength of the fastener.
Old 07-29-2017, 06:01 PM   #9
JaxPilot
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

oops, wrong thread
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO