lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-05-2012, 06:59 PM   #1
AllanG
Not Yet Wild

Default Speed code 4?

I have a 2008 club car precedent. My question if I change my controller on my cart to a 400 amp. do I still need to buy the speed code 4 from club car to increase my speed. I am looking to go about the speed of the speed code 4 but I also don't want to loose a lot of it when going up hills on the streets. My cart goes about 14mph but I loose about 2-3 mph going up hills. Thanks in advance for any input any one my have
AllanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-05-2012, 07:09 PM   #2
erict
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Speed code 4?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanG View Post
I have a 2008 club car precedent. My question if I change my controller on my cart to a 400 amp. do I still need to buy the speed code 4 from club car to increase my speed. I am looking to go about the speed of the speed code 4 but I also don't want to loose a lot of it when going up hills on the streets. My cart goes about 14mph but I loose about 2-3 mph going up hills. Thanks in advance for any input any one my have
If you presently have speed code 4 you should be running 19mph. Which controller are you thinking about?
erict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 07:12 PM   #3
Speedchaser
Gone Wild

If you want to keep the stock motor and contoller, code 4 will get about 4-6MPH increase.

There are potentially several other ways, like a speed sensor magnet change depending if your motor is compatible.

Or get a motor upgrade and forget the speed code.

But you said you were getting a new controller, we would need more info on that.
Speedchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 07:15 PM   #4
erict
Gone Wild

Club Car

I second the motor change. Here is an example and would cost less then a controller.

http://www.plumquick.com/motors-and-...es/the-bandit/
erict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 07:30 PM   #5
AllanG
Not Yet Wild

I have speed code 3 in it now. I just want to be able to do the 19 mph and not loose it going up hills. When I say hills they are small one as I live in Florida.
Old 08-05-2012, 10:41 PM   #6
Speedchaser
Gone Wild

Putting speed code 4 will give you the increase in speed but no better performance going up a hill than you have now, you will probably lose a few MPH going up the hill.

A 400 amp controller probably would give a torque boost and maybe get it to go up those hills without loss of speed, just not sure, that stock motor is probably only 3.5HP.

The way to be sure is with a controller and motor upgrade.

Also, if you change controller you would not need the speed code, at least I assume you would be going to Alltrax or a GE controller, if you go to another Curtis then I do not know.

Pretty sure you will lose regen braking with a controller upgrade or motor upgrade.

Also, in 2008 they came out with an IT version of then Precident and I do not think there is a controller upgrade for those yet. Find out what controller you have, if it is grey you may have a problem, black probably OK.
Old 08-06-2012, 12:58 AM   #7
AllanG
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the good info. I need to take a good look at what I have. I was looking at the alltrax controller if I was going to do it. What is an IT version? I am out of town for work so will not be able to look at my cart for a few days.
Old 08-06-2012, 07:57 AM   #8
Speedchaser
Gone Wild

Actualy I think it is called an "I2".

It has a grey comtroller and I do not know of any replacement controllers at this time, the wiring harness may be the same but the wiring is actually different.

Just verify what you have, if it is a black controller you will be fine.
Old 08-06-2012, 09:49 AM   #9
basshawk84
Gone Wild
Club Car

Even if you upgrade the controller, cables and motor you will still lose some speed going up hills. It's just the nature of the beast.
basshawk84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 02:22 AM   #10
AllanG
Not Yet Wild

I know you will loose some. I just want it to be a little stronger. I am just looking for the best way of going about it. I don't want to spend a lot of money just to say I have something or to chase a dream.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car