lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-09-2012, 04:38 PM   #1
ab46501
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Trojan Battery Company not as good as it used to be?

I just bought new batteries for my sister's cart. I ended up with 6 of the US Battery 2200's for $635. I bought the batteries from a local wholesaler that I have purchased from before. I bought my Trojan T105's that are in my cart there about 3 years ago and went back expecting to get those for this cart.

They sell thousands of batteries a year for all types of applications so they seems to be up on the industry. The owner is very knowledgeable and friendly. He is the type of guy that always goes the extra mile. This time he replaced several cables at no charge so I don't think he tells me this because it helps his bottom line plus they still carry some Trojan because he says some folks just want that brand.

He tells me that Trojans are not what they used to be. Supposedly most of the major golf car companies have moved away from them in the last year or so except Yamaha I think he said.

The story was that Club Car was getting complaints from dealers and consumers that the batterires were not holding up. Club Car ran its on test on the batteries and the results did not match what Trojan said they would. Lawsuits went on and the cart companies dropped them. A superintendant from a golf course picking up batteries for his fleet that was standing there and he was saying the same thing.

I don't know this for fact I was just wondering if anyone else could confirm. Like I said I have no reason to doubt the man.

My T105's have been great but they predate the supposed problems that Trojan has now.
ab46501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-09-2012, 10:10 PM   #2
Bowslayer
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Trojan Battery Company not as good as it used to be?

My battery guy told me the same thing so I have been buying the US batteries lately. They are cheaper and have higher ratings anyway.
Bowslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 10:38 PM   #3
sms-shop
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Us 145's are the way to go that's what I use
sms-shop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 12:51 AM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Trojan bashing is very popular, this was news 2 years ago when they tried the black Trojans in the CC line and lost the contract to Crown. The Black case Trojans did suk and that hurt Trojans gold plated reputation. Crown snuck up and took one of their biggest clients away. Crown does make some very good batteries, heck so does Korea and anybody who wants can have their name put on em... personally I still think the red case T105,T145, T875, & T1275 ( to mention a few) I have been buying over the last few years are performing as well as expected. Yes, the door is open for other manufactures to get their foot in where once only Trojan could tread but ...... don't count Trojan out.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 02:17 AM   #5
roady89
nimda
Club Car

They are still a good battery.....as good as they used to be...no, I don't think so. The last 2 sets I've had didn't seem to hold up as well as I thought they should. Of coarse they were 605s which is the entry level battery. I just felt they could have lasted longer.
roady89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 06:33 AM   #6
camaroluvz28
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Well I shall be "That guy" once again...I don't think Trojan at all are less a battery than they ever were if we are talking 605's, 105's or 875's. I have always used Trojans and as a Yamaha dealer you are correct Yamaha still comes from the factory with them. Also Tahoedawg recently stated his brand new units from Club Car recently came out of the factory with new Trojans so I think companies switched for awhile...but Trojan is still my #1 brand...
camaroluvz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 07:56 AM   #7
TerryH
Let's go racin' boyz!!

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Trojan bashing is very popular, this was news 2 years ago when they tried the black Trojans in the CC line and lost the contract to Crown. The Black case Trojans did suk and that hurt Trojans gold plated reputation. Crown snuck up and took one of their biggest clients away. Crown does make some very good batteries, heck so does Korea and anybody who wants can have their name put on em... personally I still think the red case T105,T145, T875, & T1275 ( to mention a few) I have been buying over the last few years are performing as well as expected. Yes, the door is open for other manufactures to get their foot in where once only Trojan could tread but ...... don't count Trojan out.
My T890's seem pretty darn stout to me and the run time has been great.
TerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 08:31 AM   #8
Bowslayer
Gone Wild
Club Car

Just curious for the die-hard Trojan guys, why would you buy a Trojan over a US that's cheaper and has higher ah ratings? Serious question, not being sarcastic, just want to know if there's something Trojan does that US does not?
Bowslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 08:39 AM   #9
TerryH
Let's go racin' boyz!!

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowslayer View Post
Just curious for the die-hard Trojan guys, why would you buy a Trojan over a US that's cheaper and has higher ah ratings? Serious question, not being sarcastic, just want to know if there's something Trojan does that US does not?
T890's have 190ah. The best US battery I see in 8 volt is the 8VGCHCXC which has 183ah. I wanted the best that I could buy. That was Trojan in my opinion. Of course I could be wrong.
TerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 08:49 AM   #10
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Bowslayer, why would you buy a Chevy over Ford?
The difference comes in quality and quantity. Look at the battery weights. Everybody is using the same cases or at least the same weight case within an oz or 2. Additional weight is a direct result of more or thicker plates. We all know more lead is more storage space for more amperage. And amperage is what the motor consumes when it works. I don't have specs on the US batts in front of me but I have for years been using the CR225 as opposed to the T105 simply because it was 2 pounds heavier and $10 less. In a single set I gained 12 pounds of lead and saved $60. That's a win win you can take to the bank
As for T605, they are trailer park or fleet batteries with their smaller capacity. They work harder and are drawn down lower for the same job as a larger capacity battery (T105). The result is a shorter useful life.

I have nothing to say against US battery, they have some very good numbers. My jury is still out on their latest generation of GC batteries. Ask me again in 4 years
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO