lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-24-2012, 03:26 PM   #21
apostle
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: wired motor wrong on a EZGO and now it won't run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
Those voltages tell me the ITS is doing its job.
That means the controller is being told to pass amps to the motor, but isn't, so the controller is bad.

Like Scottyb said earlier, replace it with something other than a stock controller.
Here's the thing though. The controller is passing juice(I know this because two wires spark), I am going to test to see if the controller is passing both positive and negative voltages where it should. After triple checking everything, then I will get a controler.

You guys rock! couldn't have done anything without ya
apostle is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-24-2012, 04:21 PM   #22
tcascario
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Just for your information when I had a problem similar to this I changed the controller and its because the tests were pointing me that way and then it ended up being the motor was fried. Not saying that's what yours is just passing on info.
tcascario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 09:23 PM   #23
apostle
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcascario View Post
Just for your information when I had a problem similar to this I changed the controller and its because the tests were pointing me that way and then it ended up being the motor was fried. Not saying that's what yours is just passing on info.
I will definitely take that into consideration. Thank you for sharing. Although I'm pretty sure the motor is good, but just in case, I'm gonna triple check it!
Old 08-26-2012, 12:57 PM   #24
apostle
Not Yet Wild

Tested the controller voltages Today. One set of wires has 30 volts continues, regardless of throttle position. the other set has voltage fluctuating in between 3 and 5 volts at no throttle, and then 5 and 8 volts at full throttle. This seems fishy to me.

A triple check on the motor reviled it to be in good condition. I'm almost ready to get a new controller.
Old 08-26-2012, 03:26 PM   #25
tcascario
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

How are you checking the motor? Just wondering what method?
Old 08-27-2012, 10:04 AM   #26
apostle
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
How are you checking the motor? Just wondering what method?
The method was described to me on this thread, go back in time and you'll find it.
Old 08-27-2012, 11:17 AM   #27
tcascario
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

I ended up taking mine to the shop and they tested for continuity on the contacts of the motor and had it. New controller still didn't fix the problem so they pulled the motor opened it up and said it looked like a melted ball of solder. Replaced the motor and everything ran fine after. The shop said they have had continuity before when the motor was still bad and they are a very busy shop.
Old 08-27-2012, 03:36 PM   #28
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
I ended up taking mine to the shop and they tested for continuity on the contacts of the motor and had it. New controller still didn't fix the problem so they pulled the motor opened it up and said it looked like a melted ball of solder. Replaced the motor and everything ran fine after. The shop said they have had continuity before when the motor was still bad and they are a very busy shop.
Testing for continuity between terminals is only the first half of checking motor with an Ohmmeter.
The second half is checking for undesired continuity between stator and armature windings and between the windings and case.

Ironically, motors that still run, but have carbon dust build up from brush wear, will fail the second part.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:40 PM   #29
apostle
Not Yet Wild

I hooked up the motor directly to batteries in a fashon described to me by another professional, and it turned! TAH DAH!!! I am moving on to get a new controler, hopefully this cart will be back on the road soon
Old 09-16-2012, 06:53 PM   #30
apostle
Not Yet Wild

BAM ZOOM!!! got a new controler (and solonoid for good mesure last week) and the golf cart fired rite up! So thankjs for all you help folkes

Ok new problem, when under a heavy load, the golf cart doesn't act rite. When going up a hill, I can hear the motor revving up, but the cart loses speed. The back wheels are keyed to the drive shaft and are in good order. I am thinking the problem must be in the gear reduction unit. Any words of wisdom before I tear into this one?

Thanks
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO