lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-04-2013, 01:50 PM   #1
mommascarts
Not Yet Wild
Mixed Breed

Default 2008 EZ GO RXV braking?

Well I am not sure if this is an RXV.It does not look like a TXT so I can only assume.It does say EXGO FREEDOM on the side.It is a 48 volt with 4, 12 volt batteries.Initially the cart would not move when placed in tow.We needed it to be towed because the batteries needed to be replaced.Once the batteries were replaced the cart was up and running.Then 2 days later we were driving it and it came to a COMPLETE stop and about threw us out the front window.That was the funny part.The problem is now the cart is still doing that.We could be driving along and it will act as if the brakes were applied and completely stop.So what do you smart guys think about that?We don't even know where to start...HEEEELP
mommascarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-04-2013, 02:10 PM   #2
rib33024

Default Re: 2006 EZ GO RXV braking?

put the ser# in here and it will tell you what you got

http://www.shopezgo.com/customer-ser...ialNumber.html

Here's some info

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...oblem-iii.html

rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 02:15 PM   #3
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

DOH !! Rib beat me to it.. except for the Towing part :)

Chances are it is an RXV but go here to confirm. http://www.shopezgo.com/customer-ser...ialNumber.html

The problem you are having sounds like the motor brake is failing. That is the round disc on the driver's side end of the motor. Or the solenoid that controls it is. I believe they were both recall items at one time.

To tow that cart you put the Run/Tow switch to Tow and switch the FNR switch to On and it will release the brake.
kgsc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 06:18 PM   #4
Jerj7907
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

If it is an RXV with the stock brake on the end of the motor is a black plastic cover that is your brake. If it is stock there is a lever on the end of it. You can snake your hand beside the batteries under the driver side and reach the handle. Put the run/tow switch in tow and see if you can freely push the cart, if you have the lever push it while moving the cart. The above post is incorrect about being able to release the brake with the switch. There are 3 bolts holding the brake to the motor. It can be removed and clean the dust out of it just be gentle when removing. The brake works a lot like a clutch but reversed. The electronics inside do not like the dust generated. If this fixes the problem ride on but I would expect you will be replacing the brake soon. If your brake dose not have the lever than you will have to jack up the rear axle and push the cart. I used a floor jack when mine went out and 3 men and got it loaded on a trailer. That is the problem with RXV's, brake goes bad and the rear axle locks up no way around it.
Jerj7907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 06:29 PM   #5
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

"To tow that cart you put the Run/Tow switch to Tow and switch the FNR switch to On and it will release the brake."

This was IF the brake was working correctly so if it not working, this won't work. Some do have the release handle but I believe if they were caught in the recall the brake was replaced with one that does not have the handle. I was told it was because people were tearing them up in cart barns by pulling the lever too far.

Bolts on the end of the brake are 10 mm.
Old 06-04-2013, 08:34 PM   #6
Jerj7907
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Was not trying to be rude kgsc. But you are correct about if the brake is working correctly and the cart has power. I was just saying if the brake was inoperable the rear axle had to be dollied or something like that. Not to steal a thread but I see you are starting on a RXV. What are you doing to it if I may ask?
Jerj7907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 10:02 AM   #7
mommascarts
Not Yet Wild
Mixed Breed

okay so I am able to confirm it is a 2008 RXV. I will read the previous posts on this braking issue and see what I come up with. Talk to you all soon......
Old 06-05-2013, 10:23 AM   #8
mommascarts
Not Yet Wild
Mixed Breed

sooooo I read every post from the above suggested thread, RXV Auto-brake problem III, and I also read the original post, RXV Auto-brake problem. Boy those were scary...Anyway I believe I need to replace brake solenoid, consider voltage regulator, and update software?. Hopefully that is the correct info I got from all that.
Old 06-05-2013, 11:57 AM   #9
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Jerj7907, no problem. You pointed out a different answer that I missed the side of. If the brake or the solenoid are not working correctly, the switch won't matter. As for my RXV, it has now been painted Chevy Synergy Green, locker wheels with 21" tires, freedom code, factory SOC meter and head/tail/brake lights..

Now mommascarts, you may have a bad solenoid or brake or both. The 08's had issues with the brake solenoid going out and I think EZ-Go tried to replace the ones they could find with a better model. I have not messed with the solenoid side but have replaced a few of the brake systems as they failed. Anyone know what the voltage readings should be on the brake solenoid ??
Old 06-05-2013, 10:45 PM   #10
Rwillden
Not Yet Wild

It may be listed in the service manual somewhere:

http://docs/1047/EZ%20Go/EZ-Go%20Files/Service/rxv%20electric%20repair%20manual,%202009,611103-J.pdf
Rwillden is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO