lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-25-2013, 05:48 AM   #11
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 99 EZ GO txt ITS testing

Make sure your friend checks with a resistance check, and not just a diode check or continuity check. I tried mine a long time ago, and it had a fair amount of resistance. Maybe too much to "pass" a continuity test, but it shouldn't be infinity. If it's truly open circuit, replace it. I'd hate to see you buy a new one, only to find it wasn't the problem.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-26-2013, 12:06 PM   #12
triotazz
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
Make sure your friend checks with a resistance check, and not just a diode check or continuity check. I tried mine a long time ago, and it had a fair amount of resistance. Maybe too much to "pass" a continuity test, but it shouldn't be infinity. If it's truly open circuit, replace it. I'd hate to see you buy a new one, only to find it wasn't the problem.
Ok we did a resistance we got 6.45 on the first test followed by two more test 6.53 6.43

Continuity came up with nothing

I'm still going to put it back in the golf cart and go through all the test in the forms hopefully this weekend.
triotazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 01:27 PM   #13
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

I don't know if that's ohms, kilo-ohms, or meg-ohms, but something that's repeatable might indicate it's OK.
Old 09-28-2013, 08:35 AM   #14
triotazz
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
I don't know if that's ohms, kilo-ohms, or meg-ohms, but something that's repeatable might indicate it's OK.
It was ohms
One thing i did over look (didn't test) after reading the forms is the resistor on the solenoid would that stop it from running?
Old 09-28-2013, 08:48 AM   #15
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

The resistor on the solenoid will NOT stop it from running. All it does is allow enough "juice" to feed through to pre-charge some capacitors in the controller. Often it's useful to remove the pre-charge resistor for trouble-shooting, but it damages the main solenoid contacts.
Old 10-26-2013, 08:47 AM   #16
triotazz
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Sorry fo the wait but I ordered a new ITS from japan for $22 canadian, I thought what do I have to lose for that price!
Three weeks and it arived so first thing I did was give it a continuity test and a few readings were 9.7 9.8 9.7
Now I just installed it and away we go :) we are running again there is snow here now so time to store it :(
Just want to thank everyone for there patience and help :)
Old 01-30-2014, 08:19 AM   #17
radioman
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I know this is an old post but here is some update information about this mysterious device. The inductive throttle sensor is more than a coil of wire. I believe it works on the Hall Effect principle. A poster on this forum (chriskent85) tore one apart and it had a coil in it but also some solid state devices on a printed circuit imbedded in it. I measured the resistance across one that was working and it depended on the type ohm meter used to make the measurement. A digital meter measured about 4 mega ohm (4,000,000) both directions. A conventional analog Simpson 260 meter measured 39,000 ohms. A simple coil of wire would not act like this. The best way to check it is use the troubleshooting procedure and check the voltage output when the pedal is depressed. A resistance check might be used to confirm a suspect ITS might be bad. There is another post on this forum about testing ITS sensors.
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 09:48 AM   #18
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by radioman View Post
................. I measured the resistance across one that was working and it depended on the type ohm meter used to make the measurement. A digital meter measured about 4 mega ohm (4,000,000) both directions. A conventional analog Simpson 260 meter measured 39,000 ohms. A simple coil of wire would not act like this..............
The difference in the Ohm readings is because different types of Ohmmeters use different ways of measuring Ohms. It doesn't make any difference in measuring pure resistance, but when a P/N junction is tossed into the mix, the readings will vary.

I don't have an analog VOM hand, so I don't know if 39k can be read on both the R x 100 and R x 10,000 ranges, but a 260 might get different Ohm readings on a ITS sensor on thjose two scales because the voltage applied is different. The x 1 and x 100 scales use 1.5V and the x 10,000 scale uses 9.0V (older versions of the 260 used 7.5V on the x 10,000 scale)

Those voltage levels can and have destroyed some types of P/N junctions, so later Ohmmeter designs used lower voltages and/or current limiting. This became an issue when IC usage became widespread.

If a digital meter (or analog) has a Ohm function with a diode symbol associated with it, the applied voltage will forward bias a P/N junction.

If the meter has Ohm and/or conductivity functions, one with and the other without the diode symbol, the one without the symbol is supposedly safe to use on circuits containing hyper-sensitive P/N junctions. Or at least that is the theory.

I might be interesting to check the voltage being applied by the Ohmmeter leads on the two meters you are using.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 10:42 AM   #19
radioman
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

JB you are correct. I will check that out. The Simpson 260 has two batteries in it to power the ohm meter. The 1.5 volt battery powers the Rx1 and Rx100 ranges. A 9 Volt battery powers the Rx 10,000 range. I measure the output voltage of the Simpson leads (open circuit) with a Digital meter at 1.5 volts on the Rx1 and Rx100 ranges and 9 volts on the Rx10000 range. I measured the voltage on the digital meter leads in the diode check position with the Simpson at 3 volts. (The digital meter is powered by an internal 9 volt battery) The DVM also puts out a small voltage when set up for measuring resistance depending on the range selected. Measured with the Simpson at 1.25 V the lowest resistance range up to almost nothing on the highest resistance scale. The 39K ohm reading across the ITS read the same on both the Rx100 and the Rx1000 scales using the Simpson.
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 12:29 PM   #20
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

The early 260's used a AA cell and 4 x 1/4 AA for 6V and added them in series for 7.5V on the x10,000 scale. The 260-6 and later used a AA cell and a 9V battery and switched to the 9v battery alone on the x10,000 scale.

The 260's input impedance is only 20k per volt, so it is loading down the Ohmmeter output voltage of the Fluke DVM. You would get higher readings if measured with a DVM.

I used to teach troubleshooting in the USAF BMET school (Bio-Medical Equipment Technician) and used Simpson 260s in conjunction with a medical device that contained direct coupled (cascode) tube amplifiers and numerous high Ohmic value resistors, so the students could discover the fact that test equipment becomes part of the circuit under test. Of course, the flip side of the coin was teaching them that voltmeters with a high input impedance will measure "Phantom" voltages.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO