lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-01-2019, 01:05 PM   #1
CoolTrees
Not Yet Wild

Default Lester Summit 2 Lockout Wire installation CC Precedent

I have a Lester Summit 2 onboard charger (650W) and I am not sure how to hook up the vehicle lockout wire to prevent the cart from moving when its plugged in. I have a 2010(?) Club Car Precedent with 6 new 8v US 8VGC XC2 batteries. I didnt think it was a huge deal when I bought the charger until the day after I myself installed it. I jumped in and took off backwards with it plugged in. I was lucky to only damage the extension cord (that I know of) but being I can't even trust myself, its time to prevent the issue.

I have NOT bypassed the OBC and I just have the Lester hooked directly up to the batteries. If its possible to "lockout" the cart without bypassing the OBC I would prefer it. I work and live at a camp where there are several carts that may share chargers. I occasionally "rent" my cart out and I would prefer if my cart still charges when the renter forgets to plug in the onboard charger and instead uses a standard CC charger. Otherwise my cart may get used for a week and never get charged as the renter "thinks" they are charging it every night.

Any pictures would be appreciated, I enjoy DIY but I am fairly new to Golf Carts.
Thanks in advance!
CoolTrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-01-2019, 01:29 PM   #2
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Default Re: Lester Summit 2 Lockout Wire installation CC Precedent

You need to bypass the OBC. After so many uses without a detected charge cycle, the OBC will put the cart controller in lockout and not allow the cart to move. The OBC only detects a charge cycle if the original charger is connected via the grey sense wire and must also detect current flow through the black charge wire that goes to the OBC. If it does not, it will put the cart in lockout after a certain amount of use.

Are you mounting the new charger on-board or off-board?
If you're using it off-board, you will need a 10k ohm 1 watt resistor to complete the OBC bypass and allow the charger lockout to work.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 01:52 PM   #3
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

This is one way You can use both charges and have both interlocks work:
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...ml#post1336111
Make sure the new Summit II is configured for On-Board use so it starts a new cycle based on AC power being plugged.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 03:10 PM   #4
CoolTrees
Not Yet Wild

Thank you both for the fast response. I'm trying to wrap my head around your install suggestion Sergio. I 've got some parts to order. Thank you!
Old 07-01-2019, 03:53 PM   #5
LabRat
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

The OBC bypass kit solved our issues with a Summit II for an OBC Precedent cart, works great,
LabRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 04:18 PM   #6
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolTrees View Post
Thank you both for the fast response. I'm trying to wrap my head around your install suggestion Sergio. I 've got some parts to order. Thank you!
The way that works is by default (relay OFF) the OBC blue wire is connected directly to the Controller since it is using the relay Normally Closed contacts.

So You can use your old Power Drive 3 and it will lockout the Controller as normal.

When the Summit II is connected to AC power, it provides the negative for the relay coil so if You try to turn the key switch ON, the relay gets energized, the Normally Closed contacts open and the Controller goes into lockout mode.

Connecting the Summit II negative to Controller B- is necessary so the OBC can keep up with the Summit charge current and take that in consideration next time You use the Power Drive charger..

The OBC by-pass kit sold by some vendors will not allow you to use both chargers and it is not needed since the Summit II in on-board mode plugs directly to the Controller Lockout pin without the 10kΩ resistor.
Old 07-02-2019, 07:37 AM   #7
CoolTrees
Not Yet Wild

Thank you for explaining it. It makes much more sense now. I have ordered the diode and relay, I will plan on setting those up when they arrive. You mentioned that the summit can plug directly into the controller for the lockout? Would it be the blue wire terminal on the controller that it would it plug into? I would like to use that setup temporarily for a week or so until I have another day I can work on the cart after the parts arrive. I understand (I think) that with that setup the cart will not lockout when using a standard charger but it should still charge?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old 07-02-2019, 07:53 AM   #8
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

That is correct, the Blue wire is an output from the OBC so if You cut it, the OBC will still function normally for charging but it will not lockout the Controller.

Just cut the Blue wire, tape the side that goes into the OBC as it will not be used, connect the side of the Blue that goes to the Controller directly to the Summit II lockout pin.

That will allow the on-board Summit II to charge and control the controller lockout.
Old 07-02-2019, 09:00 AM   #9
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

I think trying to use two chargers makes it far more complicated than you need. Just use the Summit 2 off-board and you solve both issues.
Or mount it on-board and use an extension cord that is clearly labeled for charging the cart for your renters.
Shelve the Original charger in storage if you ever need it as a back-up.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clubcar precedent, lester, lester summit 2, lockout, vehicle lockout
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car