lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-04-2019, 12:54 PM   #11
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Default Re: Club car onward running lights stay on

I've fixed this literally hundreds of times in automotive 12v systems. People install LED signal/tail/brake lamps, and then notice the LEDs will glow ever so slightly until you totally remove power.

Measuring voltage at the lamp may show as little as .05v on the circuit, depending on the vehicle. It's just enough to keep it glowing, but so little voltage that you wouldn't consider it to be a possible problem just from the meter reading.
Put a resistor in parallel and it fixes the glow. LEDs that have their own driver built in do not have this problem. Same as high current LEDs such as head lamps used in Automotive or industrial application.

I would certainly take it back to the dealer and have them fix it. It's still under warranty and you don't want to have an issue with that down the line if they say you've tampered with the wiring or something.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-04-2019, 01:59 PM   #12
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

I agree that on newer automotive systems with CAN bus communication and a light Controller that checks the characteristics of the OEM circuit to make sure it is working properly, the significant change in circuit resistance caused by substituting a halogen bulb for an LED light would generate a CAN bus error.

I was under the impression the Onward was a simple 12v ON/OFF switch for the lights, but if there is a CAN bus controller monitoring the lights, then You are right about adding additional load to satisfy the controller diagnostic test.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 04:49 PM   #13
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
I agree that on newer automotive systems with CAN bus communication and a light Controller that checks the characteristics of the OEM circuit to make sure it is working properly, the significant change in circuit resistance caused by substituting a halogen bulb for an LED light would generate a CAN bus error.

I was under the impression the Onward was a simple 12v ON/OFF switch for the lights, but if there is a CAN bus controller monitoring the lights, then You are right about adding additional load to satisfy the controller diagnostic test.
I think it probably should have a simple switch, but so have many of the vehicles I've fixed this sort of issue on. Brake lamps, and signal lamps are typically switched on the positive side so less wire is used.
With dual filament brake or signal bulbs there is the possibility of some feedback through the other bulb filament, but typically there is no voltage applied to any part of the circuit when all of the switches are off. And yet the LEDs will still be dimly lit. I had one in one of my personal vehicles a few years ago that only the 3rd brake lamp would stay very dimly lit even with the lights off, the car completely off, Key out of the ignition. If I touched the probes of the voltmeter to the power wire for the lamp, the LED would then totally go out, until I touched the brake pedal again and re-energized it.
No Lamp warning lights on that one, and that was just prior to CAN-BUS. The Brake and Turn signal lamps were also LED, and those did not have any issue. I used an electronic non-warning flasher to make them blink at the normal rate.

I don't know if it's as common on newer vehicles that use diagnostics to monitor for bulb function, but I've not had or seen as many people have this problem on newer vehicles. They may set codes for the bulb being out, but don't tend to have the same issue with the LED glowing. The Big German 3, and some Japanese cars can have other problems with LED bulbs.
Mostly older Pre-CAN vehicles that I've had the issue with. Some that have bulb warning systems it will trigger the "bulb out". Usually will cause the signal lamps to blink faster, or with some it can cause the 3rd brake lamp to light up when using the turn signals, in which case a couple of diodes are needed. But a resistor always fixes the Dim glow of the LED bulb, and usually fixes the "bulb out" warnings as well on older vehicles.

Not real sure of the exact reason why.

And as I said before it depend on the design of the LEDs used. If CC has gone totally cheapo on their supplier (entirely possible) then they probably got the cheapest LEDs they could get their hands on.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 03:55 PM   #14
Negncic
Not Yet Wild

[QUOTE=Guy Addison;1666263]I just bought a 2020 club car onward club car. It’s a really nice cart, and runs like a bat out of hell. So basically for a little background when you turn the key to the on position on the cart the day-time running lights turn on. Yes they are LED. However, when you turn off the key they are supposed to turn completely off, but the daytime running lights in the front stay dimly lit. Does anyone have any idea what’s going on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTi have a 2019 onward and I just experienced the same issue. We're you able to find a cause of a solution?
Thanks
Negncic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 04:49 PM   #15
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

The DRL lights are powered by the same relay that provides power to the brake light pedal switch.

Does anything change (with the dim lights) when You press the brake pedal with the switch OFF?

If the brake pedal was pressed when you noticed the dim light, release the brake pedal to isolate the DRL lights from the turn signal assembly and see if there is any difference.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 05:19 PM   #16
BL1300x
Not Yet Wild

Mine did this and I unhooked the battery for a few days and when I hooked it back up it was fixed..
BL1300x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 09:19 PM   #17
Masterflex92
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

A little late to the party but I had this problem yesterday after the kids had washed the cart. I traced the issue to the key switch, flushed with compressed air and WD-40. Problem solved!
Masterflex92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car