lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-07-2020, 11:45 AM   #1
Afeezey
Not Yet Wild

Default G2 Yamaha struggling up hills

I have a Yahmaha G2 golf cart it ran perfect for years. but in the last year it has started struggling up hills. If I'm riding by myself it manages to make it up the hills pretty good. But when I add one more person it will jump like it's missing, or like it's not getting enough gas? If there are 3 people on it, it is worse, it may not even make it up the hill. I used to have 4 people on it and it would make it just fine. Also it runs fine on flat grounds even with more people on it. I have replaced many things already including starter generator, carborater, primary clutch, secondary clutch, both belts, spark plug, air filter, and gas filter. And not one of those things fixed my problem. I am going to try and new solenoid soon because sometimes it struggles to start . The engine will try to turn but I have to push it a little to get it going. Not sure what to do from here besides a solenoid. And I dont know if the solenoid would help with the hills or not. Thanks
Afeezey is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-07-2020, 12:20 PM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: G2 Yamaha struggling up hills

Mayne the ignitor is starting to go south. They often fail with goofy/incorrect ignition timing, which would definitely affect engine power.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 12:35 PM   #3
Afeezey
Not Yet Wild

Yea I was looking into those, will the one for a g9 fit on a g2? I cant fond one for a g2.
Old 08-26-2020, 04:25 PM   #4
Afeezey
Not Yet Wild

So I changed the ignition coil and the ignition switch and the solenoid. It does do a little better up hills but it's still going very slow up the hill, but isnt missing anymore. Also the cart is randomly not starting. Normally if I'm driving it and stop this is where I'll have problems. The engine does get very hot and this seems to be when it happens most. But sometimes it still wont start when the engine is cool as well. I've replaced so many parts, what could still be missing? Thanks
Old 08-26-2020, 04:36 PM   #5
cgtech

Yamaha

Incorrect ignition timing will cause it to run real hot.
Old 08-26-2020, 06:57 PM   #6
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Running lean will also cause it to run hot. Have you cleaned the carb really good? Replace the fuel with fresh ethanol free?
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 02:44 PM   #7
Afeezey
Not Yet Wild

I recently replaced the carb, and yea the gas is non ethanol I filled it up about a week ago. I'm not sure how to correct the ignition timing if that is the cause. But when it wont start the clutch trys to turn over, but it just doesnt have enough power to start moving. Very weird because more than half the time it starts right up perfect no delay at all. And sometimes I'll get on it and the engine is cool and it will try but wont turn over. But the over heating makes it happen more frequently.
Old 08-28-2020, 01:48 AM   #8
cgtech

Yamaha

Wait... this was "struggles up hills" thing (which may, or may not be a fuel mix issue with a cheapo $30 china carb), but it's also a "it struggles to even crank & start" issue? Let's be clear, these are separate things. (If it was "spins fine, but hard to get running", I'd be looking back at that new $30 carb again), but struggles to even crank over? I have seen plenty of bad connections inside of the lead end on the stock battery terminal before on those older carts. (Even though it looks ok on the outside). But that could also be internal problems on the starter/generator, bad solenoid, lots of things. Do Not go buy a "new" starter/generator without exhausting all other possible tests first, because the cheapo starter/generators suck just as bad as the cheapo carburetors. (Its a much more expensive lesson to learn, and, just like the stock carburetor, it's usually much better to repair the original parts)
Old 08-28-2020, 09:48 AM   #9
Afeezey
Not Yet Wild

All of the parts I baught I tried to order the exact same one that was on the cart. I didnt buy Any cheap parts. The golf cart runs ok it's just I have definitely have lost some power and the engine gets very hot after riding for 30 minutes or so. And goes very slow uphill probably 2 or 3 miles an hour. I dont know why it wont turn over sometimes, it seems like its calling for more gas or something. I think the lack of power and overheating my be tied together some how? Thanks for the reply
Old 08-28-2020, 11:53 AM   #10
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

The cooling fins can get full of dirt over time, also if the top cover leaks oil they really fill with dirt. But then it would still run find cold.

The starter/gen turns the engine over when you press the pedal, if it does not run the gen still turns it over. Don't confuse the starter with the engine running it is different than most other engine starters. Also make sure the belt is tight and not slipping on the starter/gen. If its not and not turning you may have battery connection issue. If it turns over ok but not running its an engine issue.

Its a very good idea to take the jets out of the old carb and put them in the new one. Always make sure the airbox and hose are sealed tight or they don't run well either.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha