lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-19-2021, 04:43 PM   #1
tjcin
Not Yet Wild

Default 2001 EZ Go Struggling on Hills

I am trying to track down a problem on my friends cart. It is a 2001 with a Curtis PMC controller. I am handy with a multimeter and tools so I'm sure the problem will show itself. The cart runs fine on flat terrain. Once it begins to go up an incline, the power seems to fade away. It will make it, but it struggles. Here is what I have done so far. First, I read the stickys on troubleshooting these carts. I have cleaned and tightened all the connections. I have separated the batteries in to packs of 2 and charged with my automotive charger(no difference). The batteries are Interstate and were new in June 2020. I understand that doesn't mean they are good, but I am leaning towards good batteries.
Anyone have a similar problem? What was the fix?
Thanks for the help before I start looking at the controller and throttle pot.
tjcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-19-2021, 05:04 PM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2001 EZ Go Struggling on Hills

FWIW: You said you separated the batteries into packs of two to charge them with a 12V charger. The batteries don't have the be separated. Just connect the 12V charger across two of the while they are still connected as a 36V pack.

The symptoms indicate battery issues or battery cable issues.

What is the pack voltage as measured 12 hours after the charger shuts off. Attached is a SoC chart.

Check the individual battery voltages as well as the pack voltage.

Feel the thick cables and other stuff after climbing a hill. Any cable or component that feel hot needs to be fixed or replaced.

What does pack voltage drop to when going uphill?
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 05:53 PM   #3
tjcin
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the help. I just rigged a digital volt meter to the pack and took the cart out. It hasn't been kn a charge for 24 hours and the voltage was 36.3 beforebI left on the ride. Cruising on a flat road, the meter read 35.3. On an incline the voltage was 34.1. Any thoughts?
Old 08-20-2021, 06:43 AM   #4
tjcin
Not Yet Wild

After going uphill, I did feel all the connections and nothing was warm. Thanks
Old 08-20-2021, 11:08 AM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjcin View Post
Thanks for the help. I just rigged a digital volt meter to the pack and took the cart out. It hasn't been kn a charge for 24 hours and the voltage was 36.3 before I left on the ride. Cruising on a flat road, the meter read 35.3. On an incline the voltage was 34.1. Any thoughts?
36.3V is only 50% charged and 50% charged is where we typically stop using the cart and recharge the battery pack. Doing poorly on hills with a half charged battery is more or less expected.

Attached is a SoC chart. A fully charged pack ought to read about 38.2V after resting for about 12 hours. (Lead-acid batteries acquire a surface charge, up to 45V or more, during the charging process and you get an artificially high voltage reading when measuring the voltage too soon after charging)

The problem might be undercharged batteries. Try using the 12V charger and take the pairs of 6V batteries up to about 15.0V while on charge.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg JohnnieB's SoC Chart.JPG (63.9 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 06:45 PM   #6
tjcin
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for your input. I will charge them and let the forum know.
Old 08-23-2021, 06:43 PM   #7
tjcin
Not Yet Wild

Even though the Interstate batteries are only a year old, I opted to have them tested at a cart repair shop. Should know Wednesday if it's a battery problem or something else. Will post the results when I know more.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO